Another great superintendent speaks out

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rainbowbird, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 11, 2013

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 11, 2013

Why is she a great superintendent?

How should teachers evaluate whether or not they are effective at their craft?

If as a teacher, I teach multi digit multiplication for 2 months over the course of the year, why is a standardized test on multiplication so wrong?

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 11, 2013

It is so refreshing to read things like this. It really makes it feel less like "everyone" is against teachers and the use of common sense.

5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 11, 2013

I can't decide if you are serious or if you just like to stir the pot. Or maybe you are teaching in Nirvana and don't read the news to find out what is going on in the rest of the world.

Nobody is saying that all standardized tests are bad. The letter I posted from the super is talking about the entire educational system and testing industry gone awry. The tail is now wagging the dog.

CCSS are being implemented but are far from being complete in most districts. Students haven't learned the material yet, but are being tested on it. And teachers are being evaluated on it. Oh surprise, now the charters and those who seek to cut educational funding for public schools can say that they are failing. :dizzy:

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 11, 2013

Serious.

Wow you didn't answer one of my questions.

7. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Aug 11, 2013

Thanks for posting this, Rainbowbird!

Wow! I got so into her blog, I read all the way to her entry at the beginning of last school year. I'm impressed.

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2013

I don't think anyone is saying don't test. In her blog the superintendent pointed out that the pacing was off, and the test was developmentally inappropriate. She also suspected that the test scale scores were manipulated so everyone scored lower and will perhaps be adjusted over time so the scores rise and prove that CCSS work. It takes a great leader to point out flaws in the system. From her blog she seems like she expects excellence and has a tradition of graduating prepared students. I would also question if last years test said I was well above average and this years test said I was below average or barely average.

To answer your second question, I think teachers should be evaluated based on class evaluations, standardized test student growth (I think the base line should be taken at the beginning of the year), and their own growth as teachers. If feel there is something wrong with the system if I can be fired based on one test. Just because a child does poorly on this test does not mean he or she doesn't know the material. Especially considering how easily those in charge can manipulate data (for example, as this superintendent suspects and the scandal with Tony Bennett in Indiana).