Another Gift Question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by luckyal29, May 3, 2009.

1. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

May 3, 2009

People have been posting gift questions. Here is mine.

I am a 1st year teacher. There are 2 teachers that I meet with on a regular basis. I meet an hour per week with the literacy coach and my mentor teacher. It's part of the job responsibilities of the literacy coach to help new teachers. The mentor teacher receives a stipend for serving as a mentor although I have no idea how much the stipend is.

I feel my 1st year has gone smooth. I am grateful for the help I have received. They get paid for helping me but I want to get them a gift. Do I get them a thank you gift? What's the etiquette here?

If I should get them a gift, should the $ value for the gift be the same for both teachers even though I may feel one teacher has helped me more than the other.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

May 4, 2009

I think a small gift would be nice, but nothing too much. Maybe you could get them a gift card to a bookstore or to a place you know they love.

I'd also include a nice note thanking them for their help this year and letting them know how much you appreciated their support.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 4, 2009

I agree with tracykaliski. A gift card to a store they like would be a nice way to show how much you appreciate all they have done for you this year.

5. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

May 4, 2009

I agree with the above. I was in a similar situation last year with two teachers who helped me survive my first year. I got each of them $10.00 gift cards to the local ice cream store.

6. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 4, 2009

7. deazy86

deazy86 Rookie

May 29, 2009

Yes, a small gift would be okay, the only thing is your massage & your thanking feeling must be well conveyed through it.

8. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 29, 2009

I agree with everyone else! Definitely include a nice thank you card with a nice note about how appreciative you are.

9. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 29, 2009

And make them both the same even if you feel one was more helpful than the other. You could convey that thru the note of thanks.

10. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 29, 2009

LuckyAl29,
    There's such a GREAT feeling that goes out with every sincere THANKS! Whatever you decide to do I hope that your teachers get that same GREAT feeling when they receive them.:)
    Good luck on the rest of your career as a TEACHER.
    Rebel1

11. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

May 29, 2009

Ah man, you guys are going to make me write a note. I was going to have a student take them the gift or drop it in their mailbox so I could avoid having to say a personal appreciation. I'm a male. I don't do well with this expressive feeling stuff. Maybe that's part of the reason I'm single. :blush:

12. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

May 29, 2009

Do it luckyal! Write the note maybe this is the first step to a whole new sensitive expressive you! :)