Another gift question...your opinion is appreciated

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsThrasher, Oct 6, 2013.

1. MrsThrasher

MrsThrasher New Member

Oct 6, 2013

I recently moved to a new area and I am in the process of finishing my degree. I am wondering if it would seem weird to give a small gift to teachers who I spend a day or two with during my field experience/observations.

I will visit 30+ classrooms over the next three semesters before beginning student teaching. It is my inclination to leave something small for the teacher in each class I visit, however I know this isn't standard practice. I would like to express my honest appreciation for the teachers who allow students in their classes as well as leave the teacher with a reminder of who I am in hope of making a lasting impression. I am new to the area and also hope to begin substitute teaching in January.

I only hesitate because I don't want to make a teacher feel uncomfortable.

I am currently leaning towards a hand written thank you note paired with a personalized bottle of hand sanitizer for the class and a small bath and body works lotion for the teacher.

I appreciate your opinion and any advice on a gift that would be appropriate.

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 6, 2013

I like your idea of a hand written thank you note. All teachers would appreciate that, if they don't then we know we have aliens on our planet.

Personalized bottle of hand sanitizer is nice, lotion would probably work for a female teacher...I am not the one to ask about that. If it is a male teacher a small gift card such as $10 to Target or Best Buy would be something that be safe and appreciated by any male teacher.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2013

I think a note is nice. Something about the gifts make me a little uncomfortable, though. Being in a classroom a few hours just doesn't seem gift-worthy. :)

5. bison

bison Habitué

Oct 7, 2013

I usually give everyone a thank you note. If I spent a large number of hours there (like the teachers I've done 40+ hours with), I usually give flowers on my last day, and sometimes a little something for the students as well. I think that's appropriate and adequate. A note on its own is plenty. Giving nothing but a sincere thanks and a promise to return and help out in the future is the standard around here.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 7, 2013

It depends how much time you spend there. A few hours doesn't seem like much, and some people might feel uncomfortable.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 7, 2013

I say just the note. And write it after your visit so you can include a detail from your visit.

A pre-written thank you note seems forced to me.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 7, 2013

I would also give just a note. I only gave a gift to my cooperating teacher when I student taught. I got her a nice box of chocolates (every day she talked about how much she loved chocolate) and she gave me a beautiful "teacher" pin!

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 7, 2013

As a teacher, I'd find it a little weird if a student teacher was in my room for 1 day and they got me a gift. A thank you card is fine.

10. Melanie Therese

Melanie Therese Rookie

Oct 11, 2013

I agree with writing the note after the fact. Receiving a pre-written thank you would strike me as odd.