Another Funny....

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Miss Jana, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Miss Jana

Miss Jana Rookie

Feb 21, 2007

Today, I had a great laugh....

I'm student teaching in first grade, and there's a little guy in there who is brilliant, but VERY young, and it really seems like he's a four year old in a six year old's body. He has a huge problem with being unfocused and calling out and just saying what's on his mind instead of raising his hand.

Well, another very unfocused student was called to the board to answer a math question. She didn't know how to do it because she had been playing instead of listening when the problem was explained. I started to admonish her, saying, "Were you listening when I explained how to do this problem?"

And the little guy blurted out, "Apparently not...."

Ha ha! :)

Anyone else have a funny?

3. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Feb 22, 2007

The other day we were waiting in line for the bathroom and one of my students said, "Can I go to the nurse?" I of course asked, "Why?"
    He replied, "Look at my finger-I'm getting gangrene!" I couldn't help but laugh. All he had was a tiny scab. Talk about overdramatic. :)

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 22, 2007

This was not a little guy, but a large 'big guy' who is just adorable.
    He's in my class and I tutor him. Anyway, after tutoring, I spoke with his mother who arrived to pick him up. I told her that we noticed that in class he did not follow along with the instruction, was always ahead or behind, but in tutoring he had no problem. She asked him why he couldn't do it in class. He answered, "I just couldn't comply". I thought that was hysterical.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 22, 2007

Those are all just too funny. We should really keep notebooks on what they say.

6. kem

kem Companion

Feb 22, 2007

Not one of my students, but my 7 yr. old nephew is ALWAYS saying something funny. He was trying to convince his mom to have another baby last week, and explained, "If you want to have a baby, all you have to do is eat a lot. Then your tummy gets bigger and you grow a baby!" And, it doesn't matter what kind of baby, because "The only difference between a boy and girl is the head." If only he could stay so innocent!

7. TX Teacher

TX Teacher Rookie

Feb 22, 2007

Here's my funny:

While talking to a 16 year old SPED/ESL student, he started telling me about these tiny little poodle dogs his dad was raising to breed and sell. He goes on and on describing the tiny little poodles and I said, "oh, they must be toy poodles" and he says, "no...they real...woof...woof...real!" It took me a few minutes to gain control and explain about toy/miniature dog breeds.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 22, 2007

My daughter came in after Christmas upset with her Pre-K teacher. She wanted to know if Mr. C, our superintendent, paid her or did someone else. I said yes that he was her boss. She stated that she wanted to talk to him about not paying her teacher because she was not doing her job. When I questioned her further, I discovered that she was upset because she wanted to learn to read and her teacher wasn't teaching her how. Her teacher sent home some basic sight word books to practice with each night. We were at a school function and Mr. C came into the area and Taylor informed him that he could pay her teacher now because she had started teaching her to read. He stated maybe he needed to turn Taylor lose on a few other teachers to get them to do their jobs.

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 22, 2007

The other day we were reading "My Teacher for President."
    We got to a page where it says, "My teacher signs a lot of paperwork."
    And one of my little boys shouts out, "Like Make Your Day slips!"
    Make Your Day is our discipline/community program. :)

10. Mom-of-2-Girls

Mom-of-2-Girls New Member

Feb 22, 2007

Hi-I'm a new member and this is my first post! I'm looking forward to all of the sharing of ideas, stories, and advice that everyone has to offer! This is a wonderful site-I'm already addicted!

I wanted to share a funny story from the first grade class I student taught in. One little boy mentioned that deer hunting season had started, so I asked him if his dad was a hunter. He said he was. I then asked him if his dad used a gun to shoot the deer and he said "Nope, he just runs them over with his truck!" I wrote that one down so I'd remember it. It was priceless! :)

11. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Feb 22, 2007

The other day one of my kiddos with high functioning autism was constantly asking for something to eat. My assistant gave him the crackers and banana she had brought from home, but he saw me open the cabinet where we keep our cooking ingredients and spied the mini oreos we had for the next day's cooking project. When he asked me for a cookie, I commented on how hungry he was that day and my assistant says that this little boy "must have had a hole in his stomach". I gave him a cookie and said, ok (child's name) maybe this cookie will fill up that hole. Well, after thinking about it for a few seconds, this little boy lifted up his shirt and put the oreo right over his belly button-Hehe:) Then he turns around and says, I fixed the hole!

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 22, 2007

The teachers held teacher aide appreciation day yesterday (very very nice) and my students couldn't figure out why I was invited. Haha. They insisted I wasn't an Aide, I was a teacher. I guess from thier perspective I am. They waited for me to get back from the brunch part and I had to be the one to tell them. They wouldn't believe my teacher.

The distinction is in pay, for the parents and for accountability but to the students it is us teaching them as a team. Good way to celebrate an appreciation day.

13. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Feb 23, 2007

There were two from today! I teach 8th grade. The science class was reviewing for a test by playing around the world. One student with special needs had made it half way around the room. He was up against another special ed student when a third yelled, "Let's hear it for the Special Ed Community!!" It as an awesome moment to see that teamwork and the rest of the class not responding to his commment in a negative manner.

We were working on the Pythagorean Theorem. I was labeling the legs of the triangle on the board when a student asked if he needed a period between the legs. He asked it again and again without laughing. I finally realized he thought that it was L.E.G.S. like an abbreviation.

14. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Feb 23, 2007

I was teaching my third graders to write reports. We were doing parts of the body. One little boy had to write a report on the brain. We started off with "'What does the brain do?"

We had used the heart as our whole class example, so I kinda understood when he came up with .... "The brain pumps blood around your head."

After some discussion about what the brain actually does, hea went away to write again. This time he came back with the sentence ... "The brain controls your whole body, but not your ears."

Trying hard to contain my laughter, we had another discussion and he went away to write a third time. The talk had obviously impressed him, because his final draft read . . . "Your brain controls your whole body, even your ears."

Happened 3 years ago and it still makes me giggle ...... and the ears thing, maybe that explains a lot huh? ... Hehehe.

15. Commartsy

Commartsy Companion

Feb 23, 2007

A few days ago, I had just finished reading a chapter of Joey Pigza Loses Control and asked if anyone had comments or questions. One of my students said that she needed ADD medicine like Joey did, so that proved she was stupid.

I told her that I had been trained to recognize stupid, and she wasn't it, then told her I wished she felt better about herself. She replied, "I used to have really good self-esteem..." and another student blurted out, "But she sold it on E-Bay."

16. JenL

JenL Comrade

Feb 23, 2007

we were talking about presidents on monday...president's day and we were just throwing out names of presidents who we knew and one little guy said george clooney!

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 23, 2007

That's hilarious! :p

18. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2007

I don't know if it's funny or sad...

We were talking about presidents, and for some reason everyone thought that George W. Bush meant George Washington Bush...the whole group was confused about the difference between the first president and the current president....and this is FOURTH grade!

19. kem

kem Companion

Feb 23, 2007

Speaking of President's Day, last year my kindergarten class made a book, "If I were president I'd..." One little guy wrote, "Quit!"

20. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 23, 2007

On MLK day, my 3-yr-olds finished the sentance "I have a dream...." after we talked about MLK's dream was for everyone to get along. Most of my kids, on the superficial level of 3-yr-olds, said "to have all the Disney princesses" or "to be a princess" or "to be a firefighter" or whatever. One of my kids said "to be clean." He wasn't dirty, but... OK. His mom got a good laugh out of it.

One of my other kids came up to me today, stuck his foot out, and said, "My shoe's tired." It took me a while to figure out that he meant UNTIED. When I said that, he said, "yes, it's tired."

21. JenL

JenL Comrade

Feb 26, 2007

too funny! and some think teaching is a difficult job!

22. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 26, 2007

That is hilarious! I have a literacy center where students have to draw a picture from a squiggle. (They have to make it into a picture.) Anyway, they also have to write a story to go along with the picture. One of my students wrote, "Abe Lincoln went to a movie. It was a short movie." This was truly this little guy's personality coming through. Raw humor! (This was many years ago.)

23. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 27, 2007

At Children's time at church yesterday, he was talking to the kids about temptation. Tempted them with a big pile of candy and then left the room while the Senior Pastor whispered "he won't miss it, you know you want it, just one piece," etc.

He got back and asked the children if anyone knows what temptation is. One little guy's hand shoots up and exclaims, "I do! My mom's on a diet!!!!!!"

Mom was pretty red. ;)

24. kteelou

kteelou Rookie

Feb 27, 2007

In our room we have what's called "Rest and Read". It's supposed to be a rest time where they lay and look at a book...it never happens that way! Anyway, afterwards we were picking up and getting ready to go to recess and one of my little boys picked up one of the girls' books. She said "Thanks!" and he said...this is the funny part...

"Your welcome and thank you for shopping at K-Mart!"

We don't even have a K-Mart here anymore! It was just too cute!

25. kteelou

kteelou Rookie

Feb 27, 2007

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 27, 2007

When my son was little, his teacher told him his paper was too messy and that he would have to rewrite it. "Rewrite it? I can't even read it," was his reply.

Sad, but true.

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 27, 2007

This week's spelling word is "again." My kid decided his vocabulary sentence was "If Ms. CutnGlue thinks my writing is messy, she makes me erase and write again and again."

28. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 28, 2007

LOL It's a tried and true method.

29. kteelou

kteelou Rookie

Mar 1, 2007

I have another one...Today as we were cleaning up from centers, I was gathering everyone back on the carpet and trying to calm them down (kindergarten). One of my little girls in the front row looks at me, as serious as could be, and says "Mrs. M, do you ever go to the bathroom??" I thought it was so funny! Just thought I'd share it!

30. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2007

I had two very bright 5th grade boys ask me (quite seriously) the other morning, "Are the chemicals they put in the water fountain poisonous?" I was quite tempted to tell them that it was part of the school's plan to get rid of all the students, but I managed to bite my tongue and just asked them if that would make sense. :)
    I also had several students who got confused when we were playing a concentration game with compound words. One boy looked at a card and asked , "Is this dn, like git r dn?" The two girls playing with him almost died laughing...he was looking at up, upside-down!

31. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 5, 2007

OK, this is a story shared by one of our Jr. K teachers. (Jr. K is either enrichment for public school half-day K kids, or a full-day program for kids who JUST miss the K cutoff date).

Our Jr. K room has a hampster, and so does our school-age room. They're pretty new. One of the 4th grade after-school kids asked her, "Ms. O, how do you know that Scruffy is a girl and Mozart is a boy?" She think for a minute and finally answers... "well, T., what do boys have that girls don't have?" he thinks for a LONG minute and finally says, "OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!" "Well, hampsters are the same way." he thinks for another LONG minute. "OOOOHHH!"

It's a story that's probably funnier because of the WAY it was told... but the "aha" moment is PRICELESS!!!

32. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 5, 2007

We were reviewing for a social studies test today. I asked, 'What did William Penn allow?' One student thought, then answered, 'Pets?'

33. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 15, 2007

My kids have to keep their shoes on at naptime (fire issues and whatnot)... but I tend to catch kids playing with them when they're supposed to be trying to go to sleep.

Me: "E., why are your shoes off?"
    Him: "Because I miss my mommy."

Only in the mind of a 3-yr-old do those two things logically go together.

A few weeks ago we were making a foot collage to go with Dr. Seuss's The Foot Book. So I asked them to takeo ff thier shoes and socks, then I painted their feet one at a time, they walked on our paper, then washed off their feet and put their shoes and socks back on. Z's group was done with this center around 11:15 or so. Well, about 12:45 or so, as he's laying down for his nap, he says to me, "Can I put my other sock back on?" Well, where is it? "In my shoe." Apparently he had wadded it up and put it inside the toe of his sneaker. Am I the only one who thinks that would be a bit uncomfortable?