another first day question

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by teachohio, Aug 18, 2007.

1. teachohio

teachohio Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I've been teaching for 3 years now but this is my first year starting out a school year. (Long crazy drama story) anyway, I was thinking that I've always been told to stand and greet my students at the door on the first day and I know I'm going to have parents wanting to talk to me. My question is this. What do I have the students do when they walk in? Or should I have them line up outside? This is the youngest grade I've ever worked with and I don't think writing directions or something on the board would help.

Thanks!:)

3. autumnpumpkin

autumnpumpkin Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I put a ziploc bag of playdough on each students desk, as well as a cookie cutter. This has worked great for me. If you look under the Playdough thread (I think it's under grade 1 or grade 2), you will find lots of great ideas. Good luck!)

4. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

I usually choose 3 helpers from the kids that show up for Meet The Teacher. I have them show the other kids to their desks. Then I have my morning routine up on the projector. You might as well get them used to it on day one. Anyways it will give them instructions on what to do. I plan on having them put supplies away and getting their desks in order. I will also have a glyph or something on their desk that they will not need too much instruction for.

Also, you may need to tell the parent that they can set -up a conference where you can answer any further questions.

5. Teach4kids

Teach4kids Guest

Aug 18, 2007

This is my 1st year teaching. I saw a cute idea where you make a map to their desk and they have to find it. I was also going to make a crossword with each student's name in it. You could also place a baggy with a pencil, eraser, stickers and a small snack and let them explore it. I would love to hear more ideas if you have any!!

6. twincheryl

twincheryl Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

This will be my 17th year... and I don't sweat the first morning very much. I put out some drawing paper and tell them when they come in that they can draw or get a book from the class library if they'd like to... there are generally many parents roaming around and the kids just enjoy talking with each other! I may also make a word search with all the student names and put that on the back table if they'd like to work on that. Relax and enjoy!

7. teachohio

teachohio Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Thanks

I think I was just thinking too much. Thanks for the ideas. I like the crossword and playdoh. That sounds fun!:D

8. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 19, 2007

I am going to have a wordsearch with all the kids names in it and a word scramble of their names on the back. I typically do poems with jobs and DOL but I'm sticking with the word find on the first day. Don't forget that if you have a special way of doing lunch count/attendance, you'll have to model that. You can do that as students are walking in.

I'm lucky in that my open house is the night before school, so the kids will already have their supplies there and know where their desk is.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 19, 2007

I have a word search with the kids' names on one side and a back to school color sheet on the other side.

The first three days of school, we do super easy morning work such as the word searches and color sheets before we hit the hard stuff!

10. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 19, 2007

All the ideas are great. You just want to have something on their desks that they can do individually and without any teacher direction. Inevitably, you will have parents that will want to talk or hang around so you need to be there. Also, you'll probably be collecting supplies so they need to be somewhat independent.