Another Facebook "woopsie"

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lilmisses1014, Aug 20, 2010.

1. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 20, 2010

An administrator resigned after her comments on Facebook were brought to the attention of school officials. Lord knows I have my share of complaints about my job, but I certainly don't post them on Facebook. None of my co-workers are on my friends list (nor do I tell them I'm even on FB), and I make sure everything on my page is private. However, I am still careful and use common sense when posting anything.

Oy.... when will people learn?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/20/mass-teacher-quits-saying-parents-snobby-facebook/

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 20, 2010

She definitely should have watched what she said on Facebook, but she made an interesting point when they interviewed her on the news the other night: Who found her page and saw what she wrote in the first place? If it wasn't someone she was friends with on FB, they must've been looking for her profile for some reason. She seems to think they were looking to get some kind of dirt on her and unfortunately, her privacy settings weren't what she thought they were. Needless to say, as soon as I saw this on the news I hopped out of bed, went to my computer, and double checked my FB privacy settings. :) I never write anything negative about school on there, but I wanted to make sure everything was still private anyway.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2010

You always always always have to be careful what you post on facebook.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2010

I would never vent about school on my facebook page. Mine is actually mostly from when I was in college-I just added a few of my coworkers/friends this summer when they requested me. I have friends who have posted vents about their school district-I couldn't believe they would do that.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2010

I have a couple of administrators who are fb friends so they are my filters to what I put on my page. I would never put anything about school on there, unless it was positive. And even if you have your privacy settings set really private, there are ways around those. Someone in the district proved that with a couple of teachers from another school.

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 20, 2010

my admin and colleagues are fb friends. I only state positive things about school on fb though. I am friends with my colleagues and admin. I am one of 5 people on staff at my school right now, so we are a family.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 21, 2010

The privacy settings are secure to the point that your set them to.

Getting past them depends on how many federal laws you are willing to break :p

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 21, 2010

How stupid can people be?!

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 21, 2010

I rarely talk about school on FB and if I did it would only be to say something positive. Pretty much if I wouldn't say it in a room full of people, I don't say it on FB.

11. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

I am not facebook friends with anyone I work with and if I would want to complain about work I wouldn't do it there.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2010

Remarkable idiocy.

OK, everyone, repeat after me:

"If I post it online, someone will see it."

Vent over the PHONE to a friend, not online for all the world to see. Don't do it here, don't do it on Facebook, don't text it to a friend. Do it verbally, on the phone.

I don't care about privacy settings. Don't put it out there for the world to see unless you're willing to take the consequences.

13. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 21, 2010

I am friends with coworkers. I am not friends with any parents or kids. However, some of my coworkers are friends with parents, so I am extremely careful what I say. NEVER anything negative!

14. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Aug 21, 2010

What I find interesting is the fact that all the high school students from this point forward basically have Facebooks. These pages contain photos of them drinking, inappropriate comments from friends and such, and God knows what else. Then, in just a few years, these students will become teachers. I wonder if they'd be smart enough to delete their page entirely and make a new, fresh one.

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2010

I also saw this story on the news and also jumped on to check my privacy settings. lol

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2010

They're naive enough to think that "delete" and "private" mean what they're supposed to.

What's the adult's excuse?

17. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 21, 2010

Mine actually contains neither of these

I can't drink alcohol due to epilepsy and I don't really have that many friends on facebook, so no lewd comments, and I delete all of the spam comments.

Also, you CAN have your personal information removed from google if it no longer shows up on facebook, you just have to fill out a form. You can ask from things ranging to having them manually remove the entries (less likely to be approved) to asking them to run the script again on the site you specify (more likely to be done)

18. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

Name calling is just inappropriate PERIOD. It's childish and immature. Instead of saying the things she did, she should have said something like "having a challenging year" if she really needed to voice what she was feeling.

19. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

I posted on my facebook the other day how I had a five year old tell me I was crazy. Yes, it was a student, but I didn't state that or the name or that it was even at school. Other than that I post about my baby and my husband overseas!

20. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

I saw this...and I was astounded.

Do we, as teachers, NOT tell kids to be careful wthat they post? That no matter HOW private they think things are, that it WILL be made public?

How could she NOT have a clue....no excuse.

21. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

exactly and by the way, when Facebook lets you know that there have been privacy changes it does NOT default your settings and make you profile private. She was just giving excuses and trying to make herself look good..

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2010

I'm afraid that ship has sailed!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

23. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

Sure did....

I had to laugh at the posters who said they checked their FB settings. I did the same thing!! :p