another "education career is recession proof"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by INteacher, May 8, 2009.

1. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 8, 2009

My high school has a really cool alumi website. As I was catching up today, I noticed a link "Futher your education, click here to find out more recession proof jobs" guess what was #2

Here's the interesting part - my high school is in the state of North Carolina that has cut back on teacher pay, laid off hundreds of teachers and still putting out teachers are still in high demand. :confused:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 8, 2009

Universities must be shelling out big money for news feeds to continue feeding us this BS.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 8, 2009

Yep - when you click on the teacher link you are taken to another page with LOTS of links to online universities :D

5. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

May 8, 2009

what people don't understand is that school funding is linked to property taxes. When people start losing their jobs and therefore their homes, the schools get cutbacks in their funding. We don't get hit as fast as everybody else but we do feel the recessions.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 9, 2009

I think that's the thing... it's all relative.

Sure, teachers are being laid off, but not at the rate of many other professions. The recession isn't closing whole schools the way it's closing whole factories and stores and restaurants.

So, while education is NOT recession proof, it IS kind of recession resistant.

7. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

May 10, 2009

I've only had 3 interviews this year, and haven't gotten a single job yet...this is my second year of looking too. I'm thinking of switching professions, going back to school, and getting a 2-year degree in a medical technician program. Being single and young, I can't wait for that perfect teaching job to just open up 5 years down the road.

8. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

May 10, 2009

I've heard that line for years

I feel bad for current teaching graduates and teachers that don't have many options. It took me a year to find a job and that was before the recession. I don't have the ideal job right now, but its a teaching position. I'm grateful for that!

9. SSA

SSA Companion

May 10, 2009

Good point. While nothing is completely recession proof public sector jobs in general tend to be more safe. A lot of people in education are whining about receiving notices that they might be fired meanwhile people in the private sector are showing up to work with no official notice and are handed their last paycheck.

Merely because it would be difficult for someone without much experience to break into a teaching job doesn't mean that educators still have a *lot* more job security than most industries right now.

10. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

May 11, 2009

I was thinking the same thing. If I don't get a job, I need to do something else. I turn 28 in December and have nothing to show for it. Everyone else I know are in the jobs that they majored in. They either have a bachelors or masters degree, or are working on their masters degree, have families, are married, etc. while I'm still trying to find my first career (notice I did not say job here).

11. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

May 11, 2009

I am a special ed teacher, so can always find "a job", but I work my tail off and don't even make 30 K. The 49 K is a lie. My husband calls my job my "charity work", and there was no way I could live on my salary. So those ads definitely upset me. And I know lots of elementary ed people who cannot find a job....