Another dumb first year teacher question..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by missjessica, Aug 15, 2011.

1. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

So I get my classroom on Friday and I know it will be empty (minus furniture of course).
    How do I make it feel full? Does the school supply me with paper, hole punch, tape, staplers, pencils, etc?
    I know I may sound a little clueless right now, but do teachers buy all of that stuff on their own?

3. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Aug 15, 2011

I think it depends on your school. At my old school, you could get EVERYTHING from the supply lady. At my new school, it seems like only paper is available.

4. Donne

Donne Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

I am kind of wondering the same thing. I tried to get more information from my admin, but I've been told to wait until orientation this Thursday.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 15, 2011

Each teacher at my school orders whatever supplies he or she needs or would like in April for the upcoming new school year. Plus, if you forget something you can go to the supply room and probably find it. Teachers at my school are extremely fortunate to be able to do this. The only thing I bought for my classroom this year was a rule poster I saw at the Dollar Tree.

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

Start making a list of questions. You should be assigned a mentor teacher whose job it is to help you settle in and she will be able to answer all those questions - and they aren't dumb questions! If there's no mentor, you will probably have teachers stop into your room to welcome you and they would love to help you. Otherwise, I also encourage you to make friends with the secretarial staff. They will stand by you and be really helpful if you treat them right.

7. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

If there is a supply person in your building, treat them with the utmost respect along with the building service workers (janitors) and front desk secretary. These people are awesome and can make your life wonderful at your new school. The candy and baked goods fairy always seems to leave little presents for them in my room or in the front office... :whistle:

8. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 15, 2011

When I started my job, I simply received the supply order that the previous teacher had placed. Anything else I wanted extra, I had to buy.

Perhaps the teacher you are replacing has placed an order? Ask your principal or secretaries. If not, they will probably allow you to place an order ASAP and have it rushed.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2011

I remember my second year at a new school, I walked into my classroom and it was completely empty, nothing on the wall, no rugs, no desks, no chairs, no teacher's desk, etc. It was truley empty.... well, except for the tons of dust.

It all depends on the school. Make friends with the secretary and the head janitor.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

So what have we learned?

1. The answer seems to be "it depends."

2. There are no dumb questions. (Well, actually, there are. But this wasn't one of them!!!)

I would hit Target and/or Walmart and pick up lots of the basics--school supplies are on sale. If it turns out you don't need them for your classroom, you can either return them or hang on to them; you'll be surprised at how much you go through.

11. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 15, 2011

Definitely doesn't hurt to have your own back-ups. I bought a bunch of things at Staples $.01 sales and I am glad I did--our office order is late coming in so now I am known as the one who "has things".....because a lot of other people are running out. You'll use it eventually! :)

12. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 15, 2011

Once again, it depends on the school. I was given a credit card for WalMart or Staples and a spending limit of $100 six years ago. Now, I'm not so sure.

To echo everyone, make the office staff and custodial staff your best friends! Well, make sure you treat them well. They can make or break you as far as helping out with repairs/supplies, etc. They are the ones who actually keep things humming along in the building!

Congratulations on your new job and good luck!