Another Dream Job Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachTN, May 31, 2013.

1. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 31, 2013

Seems a bunch of us are having those!!

8th grade Social Studies - my absolute favorite subject to teach. So much exciting information to teach students about the start of our country. This school took me aside for an interview at a job fair and reminded me several times to keep an eye out on their job postings. I applied for a position or two and heard nothing from them, then they contacted me to interview for a position I had not applied for (had not seen the posting yet).

I've spent the morning researching, making a list of questions (thanks for that thread!!), printing out materials that I have used in the past that relate to this subject, and thinking of what else I can do that aligns with how the school operates. Soooo incredibly excited, but must contain that excitement and make sure to answer their questions appropriately while allowing my personality to shine.

3. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

May 31, 2013

first, congrats on the interview!!! (especially in ss). i was hired last year and what sold my p was that i brought in a portfolio with examples of engaging lessons that were on the CC standards and was also differentiated. dont know if that helps!

I was also asked a lot of questions on Classroom management and when i would contact the AP or even the P of a problem

4. DSD

DSD Rookie

May 31, 2013

Congrats! You sound well-prepared - I hope it goes well!

5. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 31, 2013

The interview went very well, especially since they gave me the questions to look over while I waited for the previous interview to finish. It was a panel interview with each core subject represented, along with the P and two APs. They seemed impressed with my knowledge, ideas for lessons, and classroom management.

Of course there has to be a but... When I entered the office, there was a worker, though not the usual office worker. I learned, due to someone coming in that she knew, that she was previously a building sub and this last year was a teacher aide. She then (or at least thought she was) whispered that she thought she was going to be teaching 8th grade social studies next year, but they were still interviewing for the position, so it wasn't official yet. GRRRRRRR!!! #1, so unprofessional to even discuss when I am right there set to interview for the position. #2, will there ever be a time where *I* finally have an edge?!?

She may have thought she was going to throw me off, but she only challenged me to absolutely rock that interview - and that I did.

6. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 31, 2013

And I JUST got a call for another interview :) :) Time to get back to research!

7. teachart

teachart Comrade

May 31, 2013

Congrats!
    Sometimes I think people like that are just trying to mess with you :)
    That's what I tell myself so I can pull out all my confidence. Nothing is ever set in stone!

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 31, 2013

Yay!

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 31, 2013

Congrats on rocking the first interview and for scoring another! Yay!

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 31, 2013

Congrats on making it this far! When I was interviewed, the entire staff thought that a student teacher would get the position. However, he came unprepared and I didn't. Keep going for it! I love your attitude!