Another dog thread!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2009

After the loss of our beloved chocolate lab last week, both Peter and Brian have started making noises about replacing her. (Even though I keep telling both of them that we're not doing ANYTHING until school ends in June. It's not fair to get a puppy, then leave her alone all day long so soon.)

We're starting to think of the breed of dog. Our last 2 dogs have both been labs-- a yellow and a chocolate.

I'm kind of hesitant to take a shelter dog unless we could be sure it hadn't been abused. I have 3 kids, and would be afraid that an abused dog would turn on one of my kids or on a visitor.

We have a decent yard, but it's largely taken up by our swimming pool. It is fenced in, and there's room around it to run, in addition to a brick patio.

It would HAVE to be a breed that's good, or better yet, great, with kids. That's non negotiable.

We're not fabulous about daily walks. We would let Koko out whenever she wanted, but walks tended to happen more in the nice weather.

The kids get on the bus at 8, and I'm normally home somewhere around 4 pm. So, as of September, it would be alone for that time. (And, in spite of Brian's pleas to the contrary, we are NOT getting TWO dogs!!!!)

So... what do you think? What kind of dog should we start thinking about?

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2009

Probably not what you want to hear, but Great Danes are known for being one of the best breeds with children.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/children.htm This might help.

My family has labs too, and they are also great dogs, although they can be a little more active.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2009

How funny-- that's the site that Brian found.

5. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

You can also find puppies at shelters along with breed specific rescues. Most dogs in shelters are not abused they are more often neglected. My parents rescued a dog when we were young who was abused, but he was always as gentle as our dog we'd had since she was a baby. (large pillows) A good shelter/rescue near you will have tested their dogs before allowing them to be adopted. There is a difference between abused and people aggressive.

Danes are awesome and really any dog can be trained to be good around children, especially if you get them when they are young.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 3, 2009

Beagle?

You could get a shelter dog that is a puppy! Or check with groomers and the vet about any good dogs about to have puppies.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 3, 2009

8. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

Beagles are AWESOME dogs!! My minister and his family have a beagle. They'll be gone for good portions of the day (she's a teacher, kids are involved in school and other activities) and the dog handles it very well.

9. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

We had a golden retriever for almost 15 years (inside). She passed away in July, one week before her 15th birthday. She wasn't our pet, she was a member of the family--which was perfect for us. She loved to play around the yard when they were kids, and as she got older, she was content to roam around the yard with my husband, or lay in the driveway. She was very patient with the kids when they were little. I do not remember her ever snapping at them or anybody else. We were gone all day and she was great! Of course, you know what is right for your family, but golden retrievers make great family members.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 3, 2009

Good shelters put dogs through a temperment test that reveals any if-y behavior a dog may exhibit. Of course, puppies are also available at a shelter.

We have 2 black lab mixes (both shelter dogs, one adopted at 6 months, the other adopted at 8 weeks).

I've heard pugs are good with children. Beagles, too (but they can be howlers and diggers). Newfoundlands are famous for their care of children, the ones I've been around match that description. Another sweet dog is .... oh, crum ... can't think of the name of it ... looks like a white fox with extra fluff.

11. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

We always had pugs growing up, and they do make great pets! They are big babies! They think they are people! :lol:

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2009

I would LOVE a Newf-- partially because of all the wondeful things I've heard, and partially because my grandmother and some of my uncles come from Newfoundland.

But that is one BIG dog. I think it would need more house and more yard than we've got.

(The one time in my life we visited family in Newfoundland, I made friends with the girl next door; I was 12 I think. We were sitting on the fence between her yard and Aunt Kitty's, and all of a sudden this BEAR ambles into the yard!! I got so flustered I fell off the fence and got a concusssion.

Needless to say, it was a Newfoundland dog, not a bear. And, in its defense, it didn't threaten me at all.)

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2009

The one bad thing about Great Danes is they don't have long life terms. And you have to be VERY careful about how you feed them. They can't be fed with a bowl on the floor.

I love my weine dog (despite his recent accidents)!!! Not sure if you are looking for a small dog or a larger breed. I would LOVE to have a beagle!

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2009

15. smalltowngal

Mar 3, 2009

16. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

Not that these are bad dogs... but they are just a mutt. They are like any other shelter/rescue dog. If you do get one (though i do not like their temperament at all both purebred labs and poodles are much better/easier to deal with) do not pay for them, there are too many in rescues that need homes.

Remember beagles and any other hound or terrier breed will need to be constantly occupied. Beagles tend to get fat very easily and would be best in a home that can do constant training with them so they do not get bored.

Danes and any giant breed dog do have short lifespans and often have hip/joint problems.

17. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 3, 2009

My friend has a wheaton terrier and I love him, but sure how they are with children.

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 3, 2009

My vote is for Bernese mountain dogs; although this breed does get fairly large (75-100 pounds), they are very sweet, gentle, and great family dogs.

Our Berner died two years ago, and we just felt ready to start again - we got two puppies the week before Christmas!! I am with Brian on two dogs - they are great company for each other, and hilarious to watch. We are thoroughly enjoying Bridget and Bailey, and start puppy classes next week.

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 3, 2009

My husband is set on getting a Portuguese water dog when we have a house. They really are fun dogs. They love water, so they would be great around your pool. They are hypo-allergenic (the Obama's are considering getting one for the White House), and super cute-lots of curly hair. I think they are just the right size, too.

Or you could just get a bunny. Mind is currently flopped in the middle of the floor, eating a chocolate. Every once in a while he jets around the floor, doing flips, or jumps on the couch to snuggle. They are the best.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 3, 2009

I had a Japanese Akita/St. Brenard mix that was the most wonderful, attentive protective dog on the planet. With the family, and he was the biggest baby on the planet. With those he precieved as "weak" (children and the elderly), he was as ferociously protective as your average backyard mama crocidile. With those he precieved as a threat...well, lets just not go there. He was; however, a very large dog. He weighed 175lbs in his prime, and 140 when he died. Also, as somebody else has mentioned, larger dogs tend to have shorter lifespans and more medical issues.

21. MrsFrench

MrsFrench Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

We have a "shih-poo" and shih tzu and poodle mix. He is the cutest fluffiest little thing. My husband wanted a big manly dog that he could take for a run, but this dog will jump into walls and not get hurt and can run twice as fast as hubby. I taught him to roll over and shake in only one day and he's in the window waiting for me when I get home. He's gone as long as 10 hours without being let out. He is the perfect dog!

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2009

We have a bunch of them at school-- the brothers who run my school have about 5 of them... that's something I had forgotten all about...

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 4, 2009

Yes, that is how my pug is. He loves kids (they say they are not good around small babies though) and not supposed get LONG walks so I let mine on a dog run in the yard and he trots back and forth. When I'm at work he sleeps most of the day. He's a little bum :D

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2009

Funny, the Labradoodle page said the Obamas were considering labradoodles!! ;)

First lady Michelle Obama told People magazine that the family is looking to rescue a Portuguese water dog in April, though her press secretary said Thursday that the decision isn't final. President Barack Obama had also mentioned a Labradoodle as an appealing choice.

25. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2009

We have a Puggle (Pug and Beagle mix), named Lucy...she is the BEST dog. Of course she has her issues, but every dog will have their own personality. She is wonderful with our kids (ages 2 and 6). She is super affectionate. Only thing is, she can be a bit hyper, but she is also only a little over a year old...a lot of puppy in her yet. She loves to be outside, but it doesn't have to be walks. She just likes being out there to soak up the sun when it's out. She is pretty smart, and she also isn't too big/too small. She's about 25 pounds. When researching a breed that we wanted (she's our first family dog) we had Puggle on the list because of their temperment. She has a wonderful temperment for a family dog.:wub: She is also pretty good with our cats (2 of them). She tries to play with them, but they don't want anything to do with her.:haha:

Oh, and we rescued Lucy from a foster home. The foster home we got her from also allowed us to talk to the previous owner so we could ask questions.

26. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2009

I think the bordum comes with any dog, not just beagles. They need to have their minds consistantly challenged.

I personally have had 4 beagles in my lifetime, and none of them were terribly fat. Only one was a bit overweight, and she was an English Beagle, which tend to be naturally less slim than the American Beagle. None of our beagles were ever bored or got into trouble if they weren't occupied. The only thing you have to be careful of is there NOSE.:haha: Their noses are always going, to the ground, sniff sniff sniff. Our Lucy will never be able to walk off her leash...as soon as she gets a scent of a bunny or other animal...she's gone!:haha: They like to hunt, so...

27. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

I've seen 1 or 2 good beagles in my life (I worked for groomers/vets/kennels for 8 years, and had regular encounters with 50+ beagles). By good I mean a good weight and well behaved/trained, most of the time they were neither. I only say it from personal experience, I'm very glad to hear that yours were well bred and trained.

oh and ..YES the nose... hounds are notorious for following their eyes/nose depending on the scent/sight hound part.

28. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

Shelter dogs are always good to get-- we've almost always gotten mutts because they tend to be a lot healthier than pure breeds. We got Scooter who is a half basset hound and half dalmation we think when he was about 4 months old. He was very excitable as a puppy but now he is the most calm, down to Earth pretty much LAZY dog. =) And he LOVES kids. He is really great with him.

Beagles can be great escape artists as well. Newfoundlands are big oafs, I used to dogsit for two of them. One thing-- they constantly had long hair ALL over the place everywhere. You could sweep and there would be more hair in 10 minutes.

This website has the top 10 dog breeds for kids.
    http://puppyintraining.com/top-10-dogs-good-with-children-part-i/

I love bull dogs =) But they can get really fat and then they are not so cute.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2009

Wow. adventuresofJ- you know a lot about dogs and have a lot of thoughts about people's suggestions. I guess it makes sense since you worked 'in the field'.

30. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2009

I suppose, like kids, if they aren't trained properly then they will be misbehaved. :haha::)

My experiences have been altogether different than yours. I love beagles, and I'm not sure I'd ever want anything but a beagle...or a beagle mix. Each one that we have had through the years were great. Of course, they all had their own "quirks":haha:, but they were still all great dogs. I just love their beagle personalities.:wub: As much as their nose can be annoying, I love it the same.

31. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 6, 2009

Pug -- I have one and they don't require THAT much exercise, should probably have a short walk a few times a week.

Boxer -- They are AWESOME with children. But, they are very high energy and would definitely need a walk everyday, if not a run!

French Bulldogs -- Low energy, very friendly and good with kids from what I've heard of friends who have them! My husband and I are thinking about getting one as our next dog.

32. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 6, 2009

I love the puppies... I try to stay on top of things... If I wasn't teaching I'd be doing something in the Vet/Training field - on bad days I wish I worked with puppies :) Heck some good days I with i worked with dogs.

I try to be objective - Like, I love beagles, but they are not for everyone and I hope people educate themselves on what they are getting into... I love when people ask questions and are LOOKING for information - it saves them hassle and keeps dogs out of shelters for stupid reasons. (ie. barking, they aren't trained, the dog gets bored and eats their shoes...)

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2009

For what it's worth, my husband did a GREAT job training each of our past 2 dogs. (Both were Labs-- a yellow and a chocolate.)

With Koko in particular, he was wonderful. She never got up on furniture, didn't pull when we walked her, didn't eat shoes or anything else non-food, only stole food when it was left around without an owner-- would NEVER take food from someone who didn't offer it to her. You could put your hand into her food bowl, or tell her to stop eating, and neither was a problem.

She was a wonderful, well trained dog! (And I take no credit-- it was all Peter.)

34. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 6, 2009

So how's Peter with cats? If he's that good, can I borrow him for a few weeks?????

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2009

OOOOOHHHHH No, I don't do cats.

And if you give him the idea that one would be a good idea, there's going to be some trouble in River City!!

36. smalltowngal

Mar 6, 2009

AAHH, Music Man reference!

37. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 6, 2009

:lol: I didn't say you should get a cat, I asked if I could borrow him for a few weeks if he's good at getting them to behave.

38. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2009

Our son has an American Bulldog, not to be confused with the little English Bulldogs. He is a gentle giant, but because of his size and strength, you are VERY aware of his presence. He is such a baby that he still tries to get into your lap. He has no idea he weighs over 100#. He is so sweet with kids and their son can crawl of lay on him and he just lays there or licks him in the face for kisses.
    If you get a dog like this, be ready for some wild playing and chasing a ball, etc. He can rip up a yard in two minutes flat! It's like having a horse in the yard.

39. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 6, 2009

Grammy, that's what Jake (the japaneese akita/st brenard mix) was like, only he was 175lbs. He still thought he was a puppy, and would put his head in your lap, then try to get the rest of him there, but, being so large, it never worked.

40. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2009

mm, that's what this dog does, try and smash his whole body into your lap, one paw at a time. He is only a year and a half old and so puppy-like! His head is the size of a beach ball and all white on top with wrinkles. I love kissing the top of his big head.

41. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 6, 2009

I love big dogs, but I just don't have the space to keep one anymore. When I had that dog, I had a few acres and he could run as he pleased. I wouldn't feel right confining a dog that size to my house and my small yard, even if it was fenced in. I KNOW I wouldn't take him out for walks like he would need, so it's better that I just stick to cats unless I have a that kind of yard again.

By the way, just teach him to lay across your lap while you're sitting on the floor. It works...kinda.