Another Daily 5 vs centers post

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Sep 26, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 26, 2010

I have 34 students in my class and I do not like the writing component of daily 5. I know my class and I know most of them will not write anything during that time.

I also do not like daily 5 because you have to stick with the same 5 centers. You can not change them up and add the big book center or computers, etc. My students normally love these centers.

But I have a huge class and management wise daily 5 would work well.

Brainstorm with me on ways to get my centers going. I would love a mix between centers and daily 5.

Also how do the students rotate in daily 5?

I'm a lost and my centers need to be up and going in two weeks.I have already started teaching my students independent and buddy reading as well as listening center. I would like to now introduce big book but I know this is not daily 5.

The class size is making my brain hurt when it comes to these centers.
    PLEASE help brainstorm with me.

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 26, 2010

What would you like writing to look like? You could do Daily 4+Writer's Workshop mon-thurs. Maybe Friday you can switch it up and rotate through alternate centers like big book. Or do Mon/Wed/Fri D5 and Tues/Thurs alternate centers.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2010

I have never read the book and do not know how I am really supposed to be doing the Daily 5, so I sort of do it my own way, which is based largely on advice from this site. I do the Daily 3 (read to self, read to a partner, and write). If there is something you do not like about the way Daily 5 is set up, I am sure you can modify it. Can you do 3 of the daily 5 (the ones you like), and use the other to centers to incorporate what your students like? That's just a thought. I do the Daily 3 all week except for Fridays, when I do a Friday project and Friday centers. I don't know if any of that helps or not.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 26, 2010

I normally devote 3 days to writing(mini lesson) so they do write each day. I just know if I have a writing center where I am not watching them do it they will not write.

I guess I am just worried about the number of centers and the number of students. I can not have more than 4 in centers like big book or read the room. More than that would get crazy.

I know that independent reading it would not matter how many students do that but then when I rotate....say I had 10 doing independent reading and then its time to rotate and the next center is big book how would 10 go there.

this is a big mess!

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 26, 2010

Aha moment!

I think I have it. I'm so excited my mind is racing now, Keep coming with the ideas while I see if my idea is even possible.

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2010

I've been doing D5
    (well, 3/4 - haven't introduced listen to reading yet, and I took out writing)

2/3 rounds - read to self, read together (add in listen to reading next week)

1 round - word work - free choice of word work centers or writing center, but no more than two people together at a choice

Big books are open for read together.

8. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 26, 2010

I started Daily 5 (with my short schedule it ends up being Daily 3) for the first time this school year. I read both books, The Daily 5, and Cafe, and have followed their advice for modeling and management. I must say that things are going extremely well. It is hard to not be impatient, though, because I'm still building stamina with my class, however the results thus far have been positive. I have even had some parents comment about how much their children love reading this year and even read at home without being asked. I think that many of the activities from Daily 5 have been more worthwhile than the old "center" or "seat work" activities I used to use.

9. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

Here is how I think I'll be doing the daily 5. It's my first year with it, so I'm struggling too.

Read to self: Book bags, read the room, Big Books, Poetry

Writing: Write stories, letters, write the room

Word Work: a variety of games that will be taught, but are based on the word wall
    Read with someone: Read with their 8th grade buddies every other week for now, I'll teach them how to do this with a classmate when they have had some practice with the 8th grade.
    (I'm teaching this to my class last, since some of my class isn't reading much of anything yet.)

Listen to reading: is part of my guided reading group, they listen to the story after reading it independently, or to the anthology story if we read it that day.

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2010

I have a separate time for writing class plus have small groups where I share writing examples.

Daily 5 writing is more for pleasure than structure in my room.
    They make lists, write their feelings, or write the words to songs/rhymes, copy a book, etc.

Include computer centers in Daily 5 for listening to books, word work, work on wrting, read to self!

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 29, 2010

Big books=Read to Someone
    Computers=Word Work, Listen to reading

I change up my 5 areas all the time. For writing, I introduce a variety of activities: write a book, write a letter to Santa, make a grocery list, make a card, etc. I make templates in word with clipart to keep it exciting. I change word work out weekly (I rotate so that there are 3 familiar activities, and 1 new choice). They do file folder games, memory matching with a partner, rainbow writing, scavenger hunts, etc.

The kids do "book shopping" daily and choose their own books for their bins, so that is always changing. I introduce a variety of websites for Listen to Reading and change out the CD's at the listening center weekly.

I love the Daily 5, because it allows for everything I did in centers, but in a more structured way. The kids are more on-task than they were when I did centers, because of the I-charts and building independence through stamina.

Here is my schedule:
    -Mini Lesson
    -Check-in (I read each child's name and they tell me where they are going. I write it on my clipboard. It only takes a few minutes and it's a "verbal agreement" between me and them. They MUST do Read to Self and Work on Writing every day.)
    -Round 1

-Mini-lesson
    -Check-in
    -Round 2

-Mini-lesson
    -Check-in
    -Round 3

Also, I have writers workshop in addition to Work on Writing. In the beginning of the year, they don't write a lot during Work on Writing, but if you keep things exciting they REALLY get into it. I have "Free Fridays" and many kids pick Work on Writing for every round because they get so wrapped up in writing a book.