Another Daily 5 question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by yearroundteach, Apr 16, 2009.

1. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Apr 16, 2009

There seems to be quite a bit of chatter lately about the Daily 5 and I'll admit it is really peaking my interest. In years past, I would've bought the book immediately and dove right in. The thing that is causing me hesitation is that my school is changing drastically last year. My principal has implemented a mandated schedule for every grade level to ensure that everyone is teaching the exact same thing at the exact same time for the exact same amount of time. We are also being told we have to use our Reading Program (Trophies) with fidelity, continue to use our scripted Envision Math, and are being given a new writing program which is scripted as well. So essentially I am going from planning my own lessons, coming up with creative ideas, having freedom with my scheduling, etc. to reading off of a script for every lesson of every day.

I will still have time to meet with reading groups so that brings me to my question. I will be required to somewhat follow the "centers" that the reading program suggests as well as have specific writing prompts I will have to teach. Will the Daily 5 schedule and process still work in my room?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

3. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 16, 2009

Wow, that sounds stifling! To be honest, I just ordered the Daily 5 book and am looking forward to reading it!

yearroundteach . . . I actually had a question for you about your enVision Math. Our district is looking into it as a possibility for our math adoption next year. What grade do you teach & what do you think about enVision?

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2009

I don't know much about that reading program, but I can tell you that the goal of the Daily 5 is to encourage students to become lifelong independent readers through 5 main activities. Hopefully that is something that your P will agree with. Thats a lot of changes for one year!

5. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Apr 16, 2009

It is far to many changes for one year. I managed to mostly stifle my feelings about it in my original post because if I get going, I'll get off on a tangent!

Well I'm sure in theory she'd agree with it but the reality is our schedule is what it is. She is not going to budge one bit on that. Basically I have a 50 minute block in which to do intervention with stuggling readers and acceleration with high readers. Then I have a 35 minute Language Arts block. We have to decide as a grade level what to teach in there. It sounds as though it will be used for grammar/conventions/phonics instruction WG. Then lunch. After lunch is an 85 minute Language Arts Block. This is meant to teach the WG components of the reading program as well as have reading groups.

I'm basically just trying to get an idea of whether the Daily 5 can work within those restrictions before I buy and read the book. I would hate to read it, love it, and then realize that I can't use it. That would be such a let down.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2009

:hugs: That sounds so crazy!

I can tell you that I modified the Daily 5 to fit in my schedule. I do the Daily 3 with my kids because we only have time for 3 each day. Next year I may teach all 5 but only do 2 or 3 a day depending on how many guided reading groups I see and how big my class is. You can always take components of it to usein your room. I believe the intro is available online for you to read if you decide to. Good luck!

7. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Apr 16, 2009

Oh it is so stifling! I am so disappointed and disheartened for next year. I am trying to stay positive and integrate things that will help me keep my sanity and the kids from completely hating school. That is why the Daily 5 caught my eye because it seemed like it might be something I could work into this ridiculous schedule. After you get the book and read some of it, please come back to let me know if you think I could use it or not.

Envision Math...... Hmmmm what can I say about Envision Math. I really am not a fan. In theory it seems great. I was very excited about it when I first went to the trainings. It seemed so wonderful that it had technology components to it. In reality, the learning bridge on the CD/website is the exact same one that you use in the flyer everyday. And the reteaching "practice" that the website assigns if students do not do well on the test are just repeats of the lessons they've done that week. I do like that it has consumable flyers rather than a book or workbook. In my opinion the lessons move far too fast and many of my kids cannot keep up. I end up having to stop and supplement for alot of the lessons which puts me behind and now it's looking like I may not finish all the topics before the year ends. My biggest complaint about the program was something that really excited me in the beginning. The program really relies heavily on its claim of differentiation. It does differentiate through groups and different homework. However because the spiral review, lesson, problem of the day, and quick check take so long, I rarely have time to meet with the groups. The centers that are meant for students to use during that time are incredibly time consuming to make and have to be explained to students daily because they are always using a completely new center each day. This really defeats the purpose of them because they are supposed to be INDEPENDENT centers for students to complete while you are running groups.

Overall, I just didn't feel like it delivered on what it promised and I don't feel my students are any better at math than when I taught it on my own through games, worksheets, experiments, hands on, etc. I know my thoughts above are really jumbled. I didn't have the proper amount of time to sit down and write a well thought out response. If you want any clarification on anything I babbled above, feel free to ask. :dizzy:

8. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Apr 16, 2009

Also I forgot to mention that I have a 35 minute block at the end of the day for the scripted writing program. Ahhhhh, I'm getting overwhelmed just typing about it. I'm just so used to being able to modify my schedule to meet the needs of the class on a day to day/ week to week basis. I don't know how I will survive next year.

9. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 16, 2009

THANK YOU for your input on enVision!! Your comments are one of the most helpful ones I've read on that particular publisher. From what I can see, I really like enVision . . . but I was afraid I was just getting caught up in the "bells and whistles" of the technology components. I wasn't really sure what it would be like teaching day in and day out.

In the end, our district will most likely keep with our original textbook publisher (Houghton Mifflin) because we don't have the $ to purchase a new adoption. But when you mentioned that you had taught envision this year, I had to ask what you thought about it. Thanks!

Good luck with everything next year! Hopefully your principal would be happy with you having the same "time blocks" on your daily schedule as everyone else, but w/in those time blocks you will have a little flexibility as to how you are presenting each subject matter (even though you are using the mandated curriculum).

And come to think of it . . . the Daily 5 is not a curriculum, but a management system. So maybe it will be okay for you. You could still use your mandated reading & writing curriculums, but w/in the Daily 5 classroom management framework. I don't know if that makes sense, and I haven't even read the book yet . . . but from what I've heard that's what I understand it to be.

10. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 16, 2009

Had to ask . . . WHY is your principal implementing a mandated schedule for everyone? Is there a particular reasoning behind it?

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2009

I agree that the Daily 5 is really a management program. The book discusses the why's and how's and guides you through the setup in the classroom. I really hope you can use it bc it is great. You can also sign up for a tip of the week from the 2 sisters (the authors who happen to be sisters)

12. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Apr 17, 2009

I am soooo disappointed to hear about envision math...our district just adopted this for next year. Our past math program was awful and I had to do so much creating of my own materials. My whole math program was supplemented. I was under the understanding that we were getting books though... hhmmm I hope we're not replacing what we have now with something else that is awful.

13. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Apr 17, 2009

I think you will get books. Primary gets the flyers and intermmediate gets the books. At least that is my understanding, though I've never really asked any of our 3rd, 4th or 5th grade teachers. I wouldn't say it is awful. I just think it was misrepresented when they were giving their "sales pitch" to schools, school districts, and teachers. It didn't live up to what I expected from it and to use it fully is time consuming. I don't mind using my time to do things that I feel are trully worthwhile but I just don't see a huge benefit in the centers from what I was already doing myself.

I have heard some teachers say that they like it so maybe you will to. I've never heard anyone say they love it but some like it more than the teachers at our school. It is just hard to stomach more work when you feel like what you were already doing was working as well, if not better, than the program.

14. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Apr 17, 2009

She hasn't really given a solid reason for why. Basically she has just said that it has been proven to work and we are going to "do what works". As far as we can tell, she is basing it on the Title 1 schools that have made improvements. The slap in the face is that we've been a high achieving school for 2 years. It is just the past year that we weren't and most of us know why that is..... once you achieve high enough, it becomes nearly impossible to continue to make the kind of progress necessary to be high achieving.

I do know that our writing scores were low which gives her ammunition to say that we need this. I really haven't figured out the motivation behind it to be honest. I suppose there are factors that none of us know about and she's doing the best she can. It is just hard to adjust to something so drastic.