Another Cover Letter...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kjrillie, Dec 6, 2010.

1. kjrillie

kjrillie Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

Hi

I have been applying for middle school science jobs in Houston Isd and have not received any interviews. I am assuming this is because my of lack of experience and my horrible cover letter. Although I do have little experience I want to emphasis that I do have excellent classroom management and a huge amount of passion for education ( both of my parents are teachers so I have been around the education world all my life). I have worked in New Orleans public schools I have seen all types behavior problems. At the school I did my internship they offered be a job but I really want to get out of new orleans and move to Texas. I have already passed the 4-8 texes science content exam and I am currently studying for the ppr. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I have read on different post that sometimes a good cover letter can get you an interview. PLEASE help me ( sorry for begging)!!!

COVER LETTER
    I know that you must be getting hundreds of these e-mails, but I wanted to take the time to express my interest in working for you at the high school for Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice. I know that times are tough and jobs are hard to come by, but I do not simply want a job, I want to TEACH!

My name is Kristen xxxxx, I am a 2009 graduate of the University of Houston with a Bachelor of Science in Biology. I have teaching experience on various levels and, in both suburban and urban school districts. I am highly qualified to teach Biology in Texas according to No Child Left Behind.

At my last position I was co teaching “at risk” elementary and middle school aged students at (school) in New Orleans East through the Recovery School District intern program. I was challenged daily to be creative, nurturing and most of all, patient. I am capable of accommodating diverse student needs by facilitating all styles of learners, offering individualized and extracurricular support, and integrating effective materials. As an intern I have taken part in several professional development workshops such as effective lesson planning and, classroom management.

I am willing to do any and everything to ensure student success. I will make myself constantly available to students who need extra help and, I am very willing to be a part of any after school activities. I believe that if given the chance to show my skills, I will become a great asset to your teaching staff. I welcome an interview and, hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience. Once again I would like to thank you for your time and, please call me at-------so I can share my enthusiasm for education with you in person.

RESUME

OBJECTIVE
    Enthusiastic, creative college graduate with a passion for fashion, seeking to obtain a buyer position in an innovative and progressive company.

EDUCATION
    University of Houston, Houston, TX 08/07-05/09
    Bachelor of Science in Biology and minor in History

University of Louisiana at Monroe, Monroe, LA 08/04-05/07
    Area of Concentration: Biology

RELATED EXPERIENCE
    Louisiana Recovery School District, district-wide 08/10- present
    Substitute Teacher
    Implementing daily lessons and managing student discipline with small and large classes and within various age groups, grade levels, and educational ability levels.

Louisiana Recovery School District, (name of) School (Pre K -8) 01/10-06/10
    Teacher Intern
    Co-taught three science classes (3rd-5th), shared responsibilities for lesson planning, whole-group instruction, small-group tutoring, grading, and classroom management.

Louisiana Recovery School District, district-wide 10/09-01/10
    Substitute Teacher
    Implemented daily lessons and managed student discipline with small and large classes and within various age groups, grade levels, and educational ability levels.

Private Family, (name) 01/09-10/09
    Nanny
    Cared for two children of pre-school age, creating and carrying out daily schedules to meet their physical, social, emotional needs, as both parents worked 40+ hours/week outside the home.

University of Houston, Learning Support Services (LSS) Center 08/07-12/08
    Peer Tutor
    Provided walk-in tutoring services to students requesting assistance with homework and, test preparation in various fields of science and mathematics.

University of Louisiana at Monroe, Clark M. Williams Success Center 10/04-05/07
    Athletic Tutor
    Provided academic assistance and, resources to athletes struggling in the areas of biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010
  3. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Dec 6, 2010

I was told that my coverletter should consist of 3 paragraphs and should be clear and concise and straight to the point. The first paragraph should explain your interest in the position, why you chose that district, etc.

The second should be where you sell yourself. Make them WANT to know more about you and call you in for an interview. This is where you include your educational accomplishments, previous work experience, etc.

Then the closing paragraph should basically sum it all up and reiterate your interest in the position.. here's an example of mine:

DATE

Principal's Name
    School Name
    Address

Dear Mrs. XXX:

I am very interested in obtaining a full-time position as a bilingual educator at your campus. The outstanding recognition and positive reputation your school has around the community make it an excellent place to work and learn in. It would be an honor to be a part of such an honorable organization and work with a dedicated group of professionals such as those at XXX Elementary. I have enclosed my résumé for your review.

I earned my Bachelor’s degree in English from the University of XXXX on August 21, 2010. While in school, I developed outstanding organizational skills and managed to maintain a strong G.P.A of 3.4 while working full time as an office administrator and juggling the rigorous coursework that my degree required. My previous job also required extensive interaction with contractors, which strengthened my communication skills and professionalism immensely. The previous experience I have in an office setting, as well as my bilingual proficiency and outstanding work ethic, would be a major asset to the XXXX School District. Aside from my previous work experience, I have previously volunteered at UIL events with various districts in the XXXX District and participated as a youth group volunteer at XXX Church in XXXX, TX. I have also worked as a substitute teacher at XXX as well as XXX. I am currently enrolled in an Alternative Certification Program named XXX and have successfully completed all my classroom management training and observation hours. Furthermore, I have already passed the Generalist EC-6, ELA/Reading 4-8, and Bilingual Supplemental EC-12 TExES exams. I believe these experiences and strengths, along with my enthusiasm and passion for education, make me a highly qualified candidate for a teaching position at your campus.

I appreciate the opportunity to discuss my qualifications more fully in an interview. I can be reached at 123456789. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

XXXX

**I hope this is helpful for you, also, regarding your resume, your objective does not state anything about wanting to teach (im sure this was just overlooked) but i was also advised that an objective is not necessarly required, especially if you're going to be printing out various resumes for a variety of campuses.

If you need anything, PM me! :)

4. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Dec 7, 2010

I know that times are tough and jobs are hard to come by, but I do not simply want a job, I want to TEACH

I am willing to do any and everything to ensure student success. I will make myself constantly available to students who need extra help and, I am very willing to be a part of any after school activities

From reading your cover letter and specifically a few parts, I get a sense of 'desperation'. Ok I know all of us job seekers (me included) are pretty desperate for a job right now, but I don't know if it's the message you want to convey on a cover letter. I've never been in a position to review job applicants so I'd like to hear other opinions on this. But to me the cover letter should convey more confidence than desperation.

Not sure if this relates or makes sense but as an example. In dating, didn't you ever meet someone who reeked of desperation and that was a turn off?

Just my opinion. Someone else might read it and think it conveys energetic. You'll need to get more opinions on it.

5. CreativeMind

CreativeMind Rookie

Dec 7, 2010

I agree with lucky on this one. You sound desperate.

Tailor each of your cover letters for each school. Research the school online first. Read their teaching philosophy, familiarize yourself with their programs. Read parent reviews of the schools, then tweek your cover letter to reflect what the school is looking for. You don't want to start off by saying "I Know..." This cover letter could be the very reason you aren't getting any calls. It doesn't come across as professional.

Also your objective isn't at all appropriate for the positions you are applying for. Again, tailor this to the advertised open position job descriptions.

MissT has given you an excellent example of a cover letter. Rework yours and then post it again to get opinions before sending it out.

6. madderhatterme

madderhatterme Rookie

Dec 7, 2010

You might want to have someone local review this - I see several grammatical errors and, as others have said, a strong sense of desperation. Another tip that I have found to be really helpful in crafting these is to "show, don't tell". You tell us that you are creative, nurturing, and that you can meet the diverse needs of students, but you do not explain how you did or will do so. Talk about a fantastic project or unit, or explain something new you brought to the table at your student teaching position or somewhere else.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 7, 2010

I'm going to edit out some of your identifying info, just so you can be anonymous :)

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2010

I agree that it sounds like your desperate...and even though you may be, you don't want to convey that districts. One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten on this thread regarding cover letters is to put in a personal story that shows what kind of teacher you are, one that touches on something that will make you stand out. Good luck!

9. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Dec 7, 2010

In HISD, they now have a four part interview process. You won't get any interviews with principals until you are officially in the "pool" of eligible teachers. I am currently in a long term sub position and the principal wants to interview me for the job, but she can't because I am not in the "pool". You have to submit your resume for review. If "they" like it, they invite you to submit a five minute teaching video. If they like that, they invite you for a formal interview with the recruiting department. IF you pass muster, you package goes up for review with the entire recruiting board and if they like it, you are then entered into the pool. Once in the pool, you can then be invited to interview by individual principals. Are you sure you want to be in Texas right now?

10. kjrillie

kjrillie Rookie

Dec 7, 2010

Thanks everyone for your opinions I am currently reworking my cover letter.

@gossamer I know that HISD does have a 5 part process now but their are schools that will interview and hire you without going through it. Actually I did get an interview with 2 middle schools just by sending the principals my resumes I didnt get one job because it was a gifted position and I didnt get the second one because of lack of experience. Also in august I was hired to teach high school but did not get the job because I did not have enough credits to teach chem and physics for the 24/12 rule. So I dnt believe you have to be in the pool to get hired for mid year positions and I got a call from a high school principal last week for a high school biology position because she thought I passed the high school science test. I suggest you send your resume out to principals!!