Another Classroom Library Thread

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherShelly, Jun 23, 2009.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

So I bought Delicious Library and scanned about 300 books in. I have about that many I have to hand-enter either because they are Scholastic or they scanned as a different book (or toy, in some cases). I have LibraryThing, and plan to hand-enter them on LibraryThing so I can do the tags at the same time.

I exported the scanned Delicious Library items to LibraryThing. Now I'm creating tags one at a time and it's taking forever!

For one thing, I think of a new/better way to tag things after I've already done a bunch and have to go back and add.

Here are my ways so far:
    • DRA level (can't always get this, though)
    • Genre
    • Grade Level (does this take into account interest or only difficulty?)

Any tips appreciated. I'm getting bored and tired of it!

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

Hey, I have a gazillion books and you seem to have a real good handle on this library organization thing - how about doing mine?? :whistle:

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

Aw, man, I thought, "Help is on the way... a reply from INteacher!" LOL!

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

Thanks :lol: This is my summer project to get my books in some kind of order. I have so many!! I think I am at the point where I have so many I can't possibly read them all before I die -seriously. My problem is I loan them out, can't remember who has them, and so I "lose" books.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

Oh, you'd like Delicious Library (if you use a Mac). You can check things out to different people.

"Here she comes to save the day, INteacher!"

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2009

I don't do Delicious (that's a Mac thing, right?), but I started cataloging in LibraryThing. I've hand-entered over 1300 so far, I think. I know what you mean about the tags. I really, really wish I'd taken the time to find guided reading levels for my books and tagged them that, way, too. However, that may have made the project completely overwhelming time-wise. As it was, I worked like crazy the last couple weeks of school, and especially our last (and only) workday so I could enter the books I have at school before I had to be out of there for the summer.

How are you looking up your levels? Is that what is taking the bulk of the time?

I mostly tagged my books by where they are (home or school), if I own them or if they belong to school, by topic (bears, fractions, Thanksgiving), if it is a special type of book (such as a big book or a book I have on cd) and/or by how I can use it in the classroom (a lesson on respect, etc.). The vast majority of my library is picture books, but if a book was a reader or chapter book, I also tagged it that way.

My dream is to go back and level all of my books, too, but I really have no idea how I'm going to get that done. I think my total will be close to 2000 books when it's all said and done. And the number is growing every day. I'm in a PD class right now where we got a dozen picture books!

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 24, 2009

I am still thrashing about on this subject. I want my books to be categorized (so I can pull out different bins at different times throughout the year) and leveled so kids can find books at their just-right level more easily. This year I had two or three constantly going into my "put away" chapter books (with permission) because they couldn't find anything to read that was hard enough. I want to have a big range out.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 26, 2009

Ummmm, I've been away for a while, so... what is LibraryThing? Thanks!

10. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 28, 2009

Librarything is an online program that lets you catalog your books and do a lot of other nifty things such as level it and tag it etc. Here is the link you can check the take a tour link and learn all about it if you have time. http://www.librarything.com/

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 28, 2009

I put my reading levels under comments.

I put things about the book under tags. So if I had The Real Story of the 3 Little Pigs My tags might look like:

TB, BOT, Fairy Tales, six traits, ideas, 3 copies

Which tells me: one of my three copies is a teacher book, another is a Book on Tape, (so the other is in my classroom library) and I can find my copy in my TB files under the six trait of ideas.

12. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jun 28, 2009

I'm thinking about putting the Lexile level on each tag. I'm now thinking that this will take hours and hours. Can you search by tags?

13. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jun 28, 2009

I asked this on another thread.

I have a Mac, but it's at work, so I can't really explore too much, either that or the website isn't very helpful.

I get that you can scan your books to enter quickly. Can you then go in and edit information? Once I have all the classroom books scanned, can I then go and add the reading levels?

Is there a free trial?

14. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 29, 2009

What about having students write in the levels of the books as they select them as part of a procedure. They could be taught how to look up the level and go maybe put a sticky note on the book with the level so you can later put a permanent label on the book ? Just throwing it out there as an idea.

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

You can also use a scanner on librarything. They are $15.00.

Library thing costs 10.00 a year if you have more than 200 books. You do not have to pay more that $10 if you have entered all your books and will never enter more. YOu can continue to have access to them, you just can't add to your collection.

It is best, in my opinion, just to pay the $25.00 and get a lifetime membership. I thought I did that last year but I guess I just got the $10 annual. This year I thought I could just pay 15 and have the lifetime but it doesn't work that way. I had to pay $25. It is totally worth it though.

I do not have the scanner. It's okay though. Today or tomorrow I have two girls coming over that need NHS community hours and they have to work with someone in the district. They'll be entering about 600 more books for me!!

16. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

Yes, you can go back and edit at any time.

You can definitely get started for free. And it can stay free forever if you enter less than the 200 books.

Yes, you can search by tags. That's how I'm going to use the program mostly. For example, if I'm teaching fractions, I'll be able to pull up a list of all of my fraction-related books.

17. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

Thanks for the Delicious Library info, but it was a failure. The computers at school don't have Leopard so I can't use DL2 and I don't think DL is still available.

I'll play with LibraryThing and see if I can learn to like that one.