Another Catholic School Interview

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Suburban Gal, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Nov 3, 2006

Well, my phone just rang a few minutes ago and, to my surprise, it was another Catholic School. I've been trying to get into this one in some time given its reputation and was quite thrilled to learn about an opening as a TA for 4th Grade.

So with that said, I was able to pick up an interview for Tuesday afternoon after school. I know it's going to be hard for me to sleep over the weekend knowing this interview is on the horizon, but will do my best nonetheless! ;) :)

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Nov 3, 2006

Good luck on the interview, you should have tons of practice by now! LOL

I got a call for another interivew today, I of course had to tell them I got a job the day before....they were a little disappointed.

So the lesson of the days, when it rains it pours.... :D

4. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Nov 3, 2006

Break a leg at your interview on Tuesday. Let us know how you make out, Elizabeth!!
    Wldy made some excellent recommendations in the other thread - maybe they would be helpful for you too!

5. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 4, 2006

Just exactly HOW LOW in PAY are elem jobs in Catholic school? I know it varies by state, but what would be an average?:eek:

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

I could have started with an MS at 29,000

7. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 4, 2006

Oh dear M.F., that IS low isn't it?! It's down-right degrading, imho. And it's not like the teachers work any LESS either. In my area the school day is even longer, since they teach religion for 40 minutes per day.

My friends would like to remind me that *that* pay is 29, 000 MORE than I'm making now, however... -- :(

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Oh. Don't you love that! It may be true, but for the hard work and dedication teachers put in, it would barely cover monthly expenses around here. Luckily, my husband's income helps, but we are far from rich. With the high cost of living around here, that salary is squeaking by.

9. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Nov 7, 2006

Well, I spent 15 to 20 minutes interviewing for the job and felt really good about it as I left the school.

Apparently, one of the 4th grade teachers took emergency leave and will not be returning. The administration decided to combine her 14-student class with the other 14-student class which then caused some concern among the parents. Many questioned a 1:24 ratio and didn't like the idea of having so many kids overseen by one teacher. So to ease the concerns, the administartion told the parents they'd seek out a TA for this teacher.

If I got the job, I'd be expected to work with a wide range of learners from slow to advanced and would be expected to perform a variety of tasks under the direction of the teacher.

There's a couple of things going for me. First of all, I completed VIRTUS training (Protecting God's Children), have completed a background check with my Archdiocese, and have been fingerprinted for my CCD teaching. So, I'd be able to start right away if St. Bede hired me. And two, I have a lot of experience with 4th graders as a Catechist and sub. So, I have a pretty good understanding of how they operate.

Anyhow, regardless of what happens... I tried my best to seal the deal and that's what counts the most! :)

I'll definitely let ya'll know if I hear anything back later this week.

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 7, 2006

Elizabeth,
    Just a word of caution...
    You really should be careful of posting specific school or teachers' names.

Good luck with the job!

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 7, 2006

I'm not in a Catholic school, but I teach 3rd grade in a non-demoninational Christian school. I'm only making about $13,000 a year. I have BSE and I'm am licensed to teach elementary in Mass.

12. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 7, 2006

Dear Beth,

I'm sorry. I hope there are other benefits you're reaping!!

13. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2006

Beth I humbly apologize for my complaining about my $32.50 a day pay for the long term sub job I just finished.....you win the sucky pay award...I only worked half days........

Yet, there are rewards to where you are teaching....the chance to talk about your faith in the classroom is one I would like. I don't get to do that at the public school I am at, so I am left modeling a solid christian character without saying those words.....restraining at times.......you are doing godly work, and for that you should be proud.

14. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 7, 2006

haha...yeah, I think I do win the sucky pay award! I never pictured myself teaching in a private school, but took this job mainly because nothing was panning out in the public schools and I really wanted to get into the classroom and get more experience (other than subbing). I could potentially be making more as a sub, but of course, nothing is guaranteed with day to day subbing so this job was my best bet. I love my job, but I can't live more than a year on this pay. I'll be applying to the public schools again in the spring.