Another cat question

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mmswm, Oct 14, 2008.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 14, 2008

Does anybody know the dose of benedryll to give a puny 6lb, 1yo cat? I know my vet told me to give her benedryll the last time she had this allergy thing on her face, but now I forget the dosage. I'd rather not wait till morning to call a vet if anybody knows for sure what she should be given, but I'll wait if I have to. Thanks.

3. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Oct 14, 2008

I gave mine a half a pill a couple of weeks ago and that seemed to do the trick. Hope she feels better!

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 14, 2008

Is yours as puny as mine?

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Oct 14, 2008

I read that it's 1-2 mg per pound, but I don't know how accurate that is. Hope your cat gets better! She is tiny, my Angel is a huge 16 pounds!

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 14, 2008

Thanks, erin. That actually sounds close to right. I haven't given her anything because I'm afraid of overdosing her. She doesn't seem so bad now...or at least not as uncomfortable as she was a couple hours ago, so I think I'll wait until I confirm with the vet.

My other cats are big, but not huge. Scout, my tub-butt, is 14lbs and DeMorgan is 12 lbs. Lilly is my runt. I rescued and bottle fed her from the time she was a week old (eyes not even open yet). I often wonder if her runtiness has to do with her early life. I know her species confusion has something to do with that...she's a total lap cat....thinks she's human sometimes, and not a cat :D

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2008

What's the "allergy thing on her face"? I'm curious, because two of my cats seem to be very allergic to something and constantly scratch.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 15, 2008

She has allergic reactions sometimes after I've done a lot of heavy cleaning. We're assuming that it's a combination of a small reaction from cleaning products, made worse by over grooming. She'd been doing better over the last couple months, but I used something different to mop the floors this morning, so I guess I won't be using that again. It seems to only affect her face.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2008

You wanna see big, look at my avatar. "His Fatitude," Nick, tips the scales at just over 20 pounds. :)

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 15, 2008

Wow...that's a big cat. Scout should be a medium sized cat, but he's LAZY. He doesn't do anything except walk back and forth from my bed to my window sill to his food/water and the litter box. He does have a bit of an excuse. Sometime before he barged into my house and refused to leave he had a broken front leg that, being a stray, didn't heal properly. The leg is bowed and he limps. He's still making the rules around here though. Demorgan is a young (2yo) tomcat. He's got a longer and taller frame than scout, but he's VERY active (too active sometimes...like now..he's playing obsticle course with my kitchen cabinet tops and the top of the bookcases in the adjoining room. He's quite fit...there's NO excess weight on him. Lilly is just plain puny.

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2008

I've got two cats that seem to have inherited something from their mother. The other two litter mates don't have a problem. It's a skin problem in that they scratch a lot, breaking the skin. I know it's not fleas. I've never seen any, and the other two cats don't suffer.

Nothing the vet has given me has worked. That's why I was interested in the Benedryl. I'm wondering if that would help.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 15, 2008

Possibly. Has your vet tried prednesone? If it's an allergy issue that should have worked as well. Ask your vet about trying benedryll.

The answer to my question, by the way, was 2CC's of the liquid.