Another article on the "teacher shortage"....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by flutetoot, Aug 19, 2009.

1. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 19, 2009

Yes, I know....we know that there really is no shortage, but I thought some of you might find the attached article interesting. According to this article, the shortage will be at its peak for the 2010-2011 school year when over 100,000 teachers will be gone.

Check it out if you get a chance...

http://www.nctaf.org/documents/NCTAFLearningTeams408REG2.pdf

3. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Aug 19, 2009

The link doesn't work.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 19, 2009

I skimmed the article and a lot of it is true.

We do lose a lot of teachers in the first few years of teaching.

Baby Boomers are getting old, and retiring. (We lost over 120 principals two years ago).

I work for a VERY large urban school district, and many schools are in areas that are "challenging" many schools are chaotic, just like the neighborhoods they are in. There ARE openings, but they aren't always ideal. Still there are openings. We do need teachers.

I think you have to look at regions etc, in some areas and places there is a shortage.

5. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 19, 2009

I disagree that the article is about a teacher shortage. The article is about problems in hiring and retention practices that could potentially lead to a shortage. The article looks to right these problems so that there will not be a shortage in the next 4-5 years. The article addresses Learning Teams as a potential solution to the drastic numbers of teacher lost. The majority of teachers quit teaching before they are done 5 years in Saskatchewan and Alberta.

The number of non-retiring teachers leaving the profession is on the rise, as is the number of retirees. What the article doesn't take into consideration is budget cuts and how that is going to affect hiring and teaching practices.

6. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

Link didn't work for me.

7. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

The link worked for me, now excuse me while I kiss the sky!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 21, 2009

Baby boomers are retiring and causes a teacher shortage. Mix a little bit of teachers leaving the teaching world after a year or two because the job wasn't what they thought it would be. I highly doubt next year there will be a teacher shortage across the entire country.

Based upon this summer alone and trying to find a job, with school districts not hiring as many people as they would in the past, plus budget cuts making schools lay off teachers doesn't let this article add up everything. It didn't include the following I just mentioned. If there about to be a teacher shortage because of various factors, then why are there so many people looking for teaching jobs?:eek:hmy:

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2009

The article was published in April 2008, about 6 months before the economy crashed.

I'm not sure all the conclusions are still valid.

For example, that opening paragraph: "Over 50 percent of the nation’s teachers and principals are Baby Boomers. During the next four years we could lose a third of our most accomplished educators to retirement. The wave of departures will peak during the 2010‐11 school year, when over one hundred thousand veteranteachers could leave. In less than a decade more than half of today's teachers – 1.7 million –could be gone."

Many of those baby boomers saw their retirement funds go up in smoke and are no longer in a position to retire.

I think the report may have been valid when it was published, but should now be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.