Annual reviews

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by andi137, Oct 8, 2007.

1. andi137

andi137 Companion

Oct 8, 2007

Okay this might sound like a stupid question and I know I should know this but I am not sure. Quick overveiw this is my first year teaching special ed and my degree is in Elementary ed. Anyway we have annual reviews coming up in 2 weeks and I am not sure exactly all that needs to be done. I understand that I review the goals and what not but I am just not sure what else. The person that I am supposed to be working with is not exactly the nicest lady and she likes to make me feel stupid. So if anyone could fill me in that would be wonderful!!! Thanks!

3. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Oct 8, 2007

Annual review of the IEP involves a meeting with the parents and the IEP team. Each member of the team who services the student (sped tchr, therapists, etc) prepares a written report of the student's overall progress on their goals over the past year, including recommendations for adjustment of the goals or new goals if the goals were met. The result of the meeting is a new IEP to be sent home and signed (timing of this varies a bit by district, I believe by law the IEP must go home for signature w/in 5 days of the meeting).

It seems unusual that all your IEPs be up for annual review at the same time period; perhaps your district also uses this term for something else?

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 8, 2007

I agree, it will most likely be time to create a new IEP with the IEP team (including the parents). Check to see if you are in charge of scheduling the meeting and inviting the IEP team.

Check the dates on your IEPs because they might not all be due at the same time unless your county only reviews them at a certain time of the year... We update our IEPs for every report card period and parents are invited to a meeting if we are making changes to the IEP, otherwise we just send them home with the report card because they don't need to be signed.

I would suggest going to workshops that your district offers in your "spec. ed." area so that you can network and find other teachers that you can lean on. When I first started I had a friend talk to a friend who talked to a friend who gave me the phone number of a friend and in the end this person was my mentor for the 3 years I taught sp. educ. in Georgia.

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2007

Another great idea would be to make your changes to the IEP as you see fit and send a copy home with the child a week ahead of time. I always do this and put a sticky on it with "is there anything you'd like to add or change?" That way, when we're in the meeting with all the big wigs, the parents are familiar with the document, pleased with what's on it, and the meeting goes smoothly and quickly.

6. andi137

andi137 Companion

Oct 9, 2007

Thank you to everyone who replied. All of our Annual reveiws happen on the same day. I already have a schedule of times that we are meeting. Thank you once again!!

7. andi137

andi137 Companion

Oct 10, 2007

One last question. What exactly should I have done when I go into the Annual Review meeting? Thanks!

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2007

Updated IEP goals, updated behavior intervention plans, updated assessment scores (if you do those), a folder of recent work (if desired).

Also bring "blank" goals sheets just in case mom/dad want to add any more goals to their IEP.