Annoying things people/your neighbors do

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Unetheladyteacher, Jan 5, 2019.

1. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jan 6, 2019

To be honest, I just don't have issues with my neighbors. Although I live in a subdivision, I can only see their houses when the leaves are down. Someone asked me once whether a neighbor's barking dogs bothered me, but I really don't even hear them. For several years I lived across from a church where the bells tolled every hour - day and night. There are just some things you learn to tune out!

2. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2019

We have recently moved to a new community where most people are retired or snowbirds. It's so quiet here you could hear a pin drop. The folks I have met are very welcoming and friendly. Our daughter stayed in the other house and now she gets to deal with the neighbors upstairs who have children running wild and driving battery powered vehicles all over the place (inside!)

3. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jan 7, 2019

We live in the middle of nowhere other than the neighbors to the south that share our driveway (we have 12 acres and our house was put up by the children of former owners of the house to the south). We have great neighbors who help us out when we need it, they will check in on our dogs when we go out of town and make sure everything is good at our place and we return the favor when needed.

4. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Jan 7, 2019

It is very nice when your neighbors help you out. If a neighbor does somewhat annoying things, but then helps me out from time to time, I might be inclined to forgive the person for the slightly annoying things they do. I will never forgive people if they don't help out, though.

My current neighbors are mostly very quiet. Lots of young couples in the building. People are very respectful and help out, for the most part. I have the neighbor that does drugs on my left, some super quiet old ladies across the hall, and a couple at the end of the hall. Really, drug guy is the only guy who gives me problems....and he is at it again tonight with another loud gathering that just started.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 8, 2019

My husband just outfitted his truck to be able to plow our driveway when it snows! He already decided he will be plowing the driveway across the street if he has extra time. Those neighbors only have a very small snowblower so I'm sure they will appreciate it. If they were jerky people he probably wouldn't do it for them. Just be nice to your neighbors because you might need their help someday!

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jan 8, 2019

This is a non-issue.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 8, 2019

This is great advice to follow!

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 13, 2019

I could live without fireworks simply because my dogs freak out. Wishing they would disappear does me no good, so I try to sleep through them by imagining money going up in smoke, never to be seen again. I try to get the dogs in as soon as I hear the first ones going off. Hubby hates them, but since his hearing is less than perfect, he can often sleep through them. The midnight ones are a little more annoying, but at least it isn't gun shots, so I am grateful for the distinction. I don't care about leaves, people's parties, or people who build at night. My neighbors are routine - some loud, some nice, but mostly just OK. Hope they say the same about us.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 13, 2019

I don't know the neighbors to the right (across an alley)
    . The neighbor straight across doesn't ever do anything loud, etc. I have talked to her a few ties, once when my car was broken into to warn her and a couple of times when I went out of town for an extended time, just in case she sees something suspicious or my dogs get out, etc.
    The neighbors to the left, across a main street (i'm on a corner) are more interesting, there are at least 10 people living there. I have hired them once to mow my lawn and one of the teenage kids to clean up my backyard. Major gang affiliation with the whole family, the kid's face (who cleaned my back yard) is fully covered with tattoos, but I don't judge and he was very sweet :)
    Also once when my daughter and I were in Reno for 3 days my younger German shepherd got out, they got and kept her until we came back. I was very happy, in return I gave them some fresh rabbit meat I had just hunted lol.
    They sometimes have some loud music and chatter going into the 2 am, but only once in a while and it's during the weekend so I forgive them.
    And not too long ago when I was gone for the weekend, my garage door someone opened (this happens sometimes) and the neighbors of these neighbors called the cops because they were so concerned. Nothing was missing.

This small city has very high poverty and very high crime rate, so it's good to be nice to the neighbors, you never know when you'll need them, but not too nice or trusting because you never know who they really are.

ms.irene likes this.
  10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jan 14, 2019

ಠ_ಠ

I could not live there. Hell to the no.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 14, 2019

Well this thread sure is solidifying my desire to never move! Our neighbors are amazing. When you have a big life event (moving, getting married, having a baby, etc...), we have two neighbors who always bring over food, gifts, etc... they're very friendly and always helpful if needed. I needed a bucket of water at 9:30 one night and my neighbor didn't even bat an eye at me. They keep to themselves though and aren't nosey at all. We had a new baby and our neighbor raked our yard for us unexpectedly. We also have a neighbor who will snow blow your driveway for you all winter for $10. Like $10 for the whole season. He's one of my favorites LOL.

Our one neighbor is kind of weird. They were mad when we tore down a dying tree. It was cracking our foundation and ruining their driveway, so you'd think he'd have been more okay with it. He's the same one though who said "wow better cut the lawn huh" on the day we literally closed on the house. It was 5:30 at night too. We had it done the next day.

We also have a breakfast every summer one neighbor hosts and luminaries on Christmas Eve.

Mostly though I'm super grateful for our neighbors. We live in the city and our lots are the size of postage stamps, so having good neighbors is vital!

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 14, 2019

True! Words to live by.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 14, 2019

It's not the end of the world. My rent is easily 1/2 or 1/3 of what I would pay in San Diego and we're not talking about the best part of town, but my pay is not any less. Break ins can happen anywhere. It happened to me, here, and it was awful, but could have happened in a nice town. So now I have 2 German Shepherds, cameras and a shotgun under my bed just in case they come when I'm home lol

futuremathsprof likes this.
  14. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Jan 14, 2019

That sounds rather like the small town I used to live in, minus the gang affiliations. The town was very poor, there was lots of property crime because of it, and yet the neighbors were super sweet. Mostly couples and families, and they helped out whenever they could. They were so friendly. I miss living there. Don't think I could live near a gang, though.

It is nice to trust your neighors, but not too much because they could turn around and do stuff you never expected. For example, I used to live down the street from people who proudly displayed several flags, amongst them a Confederate flag, in their truck's flatbed. They were super helpful, always said hello, but I was always afraid that if they figured out I was Iranian, the relationship would take a negative turn. That is why I help out when necessary, to build good will, but otherwise, unless the neighbor is excellent, I don't really hang out with my neighbors. Not opposed to inviting neighbors over, but I have yet to meet any I have felt comfortable enough to invite over.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  15. Mikarn

Mikarn New Member

Jan 17, 2019

My neighbors are very loud and tidy people they throw garbage and scandal at night...