annoying texts

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by hnl79, Jun 15, 2014.

1. hnl79

hnl79 New Member

Jun 15, 2014

Does anyone have someone that sends them text messages about the stupidest stuff? I have a friend who does this and it drives me insane! For example, yesterday I got a text saying "I'm hungry and I don't know what to eat" and then "I don't have any clothes to wear." I was thinking..okay she wants me to bite, so I said would you like to get something to eat and do you want to go shopping? The answer was no....umm, okay then why do you feel the need to tell me this? I just want to reply back with "I don't care!!" Keep in mind this person is 33 years old, not 13! It's not the texting that bugs me, but the texting me about dumb stuff that drives me over the edge.

If I don't respond she will text back or call me with "are you mad at me?" or "why are you ignoring me?".

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

Is she as annoying in person?

4. hnl79

hnl79 New Member

Jun 15, 2014

No. I think she is just really bored! We are both teachers, so since we are both out of school it's gotten worse.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

Set up an 'out of office' reply.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 15, 2014

My next door neighbor sent me 168 texts from Friday night to Saturday night last weekend. Most were things like "yo" and "you home". I had to tell him to knock it off.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

Between the texts, missing sandals and dou**e requests, I'd block or move.:2cents:

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 15, 2014

My phone can't block numbers. Downfall of a prepaid phone. He's such a big mess that I can surely outlast him. I've lived by him since July of 2000. He's only been this bad for less than a year.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

Create an 'out of office' text to send back. He sounds like trash who wouldn't have my cell number in the first place.:2cents:

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 15, 2014

:hijack:

I've been one of his caretakers since his dad died about four years ago. His sister manages his money. I handle the day-to-day stuff like taking him to appointments, etc.

He's taken up with a druggie girlfriend, and things are going south fast. Otherwise, he'd not have my number.

11. teach1

teach1 Companion

Jun 15, 2014

Ima Teacher, if you don't mind me asking, how old is your neighbor? I'm just curious b/c it sounds like an interesting setup.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 15, 2014

I have a friend who will send random group texts like telling us she found some "cool" stuff at a store or some frozen yogurt place she found. It's only annoying sometimes but just seems so random.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 15, 2014

My neighbor is 40.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2014

My friend and I always send texts like that to each other. Just nonsense stuff. However, she is the only one of my friends who both she and I will text like that. She´s my closest friend here, so I suppose that´s why.

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2014

I have a friend like that too. We'll text each other when we're bored.

OP, if you don't want the texts, I would just tell her you're not a big texter. Or say you don't have unlimited texts and you don't want to go over your limit. I used to not have unlimited and I had to tell people to only text me if it was really important.

16. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 15, 2014

I despise group texts and FB group messages with a passion. I understand they can be convenient, but once 100 people get started replying it irritates the h3ll out of me.
    One coworker on my team is notorious for sending annoying group texts! Once it starts getting on my nerves I stop replying. She'll text us repeatedly when grades or something else is due and then will comment how she can't get stuff done! Well, put down your phone!

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 16, 2014

I wish my mom would start texting. She always calls at the worst times and then I have to call her back and it drives me nuts. If she just sent me a text I could reply quickly but once she has me on the phone I can't get off LOL

I can't imagine a group text with 100 people. That's insane. The group texts I mostly receive are only between 4 people. It was funny though one time that friend of mine sent a text to 18 people asking them to go meet her for dinner somewhere and I saw 17 replies (excuses LOL) why they couldn't make it. I felt bad seeing all those rejections told her I would go hahah :rolleyes:

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 16, 2014

The only sensible way to do "group texts" is to get a Twitter account. That's how it started.

19. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 16, 2014

Ugh... my sister-in-law sent a group text to everyone involved in her wedding with details about the plans. Her husband's not-so tech savvy aunt would use that group text to message them for a long time, without realizing (or caring) that EVERYONE in the wedding party got the message. It was worse when my in-laws would chime in to the conversation. I hope Apple fixes their group text feature to allow you to opt out. Incredibly irritating feature, that one.