Annoying phone calls

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Guitart, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Guitart

Guitart Comrade

Mar 20, 2020

Now that I'm home, I notice the phone rings ALL DAY. Most are automated. We get calls like: "Please wait for important information about your credit card.."
    We have no cards.
    Also surveys. <Click> I hang up.
    The most annoying is a recording of an Asian lady speaking some Asian language. This occurs throughout the day at least 3x! My wife tells me that this has been going on for months. Does this happen to anyone else?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2020

I have a SPAM filter on my phone, so very few of those get through. I hang up and block those who do get through. We don’t have a home phone.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 20, 2020

My home phone has a "call block" button that is very useful. You just press it, and that number can't get through again. I know a lot of them rotate numbers, but the button makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2020

I have my home phone number unlisted. I do not give it out to supermarkets for discounts, banks, or anyone who asks for it. I have been that way for yrs. Only family and friends know it.
    I give places a number changed by 1 digit. lol I know...It is dishonest and I should not do it, but I don't like those types of calls or being on lists. I am usually only home to sleep and do not want to get woken up or bothered.
    If I have to give a number, I give my cell or a family member who seriously does not care and gave me permission. :)

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 25, 2020

I don't have a home phone. I do not answer any calls on my cell phone that is not a contact. If it's important they will leave a message. 99% of the time they don't leave a message so know it's just an @$$hat trying to annoy me.

whizkid likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2020

Let me tell you about annoying phone calls. All of my business has become public record because my father died last January and didn't have a will. So the day that my attorney filed the paperwork to probate the estate, I started getting flooded with calls from realtors that want to either sell the house or purchase it outright. I can't screen them because I also get important calls from the same area code so I have to answer.

To make matters worse, in February I was telling them to call back in April after my brother and I have the authority to administer the estate and can actually hire a realtor. But now the court date is here, but the courts are closed so it is getting pushed back to some time in June or July. So now they are all calling again and I have to tell them to call back in July.

And don't even get me started on the fact I'm paying all the utilities for the houseguest my father had when he died who doesn't want to move out. Ever.

8. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2020

I thought I was the only one who played that strategy.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 12, 2020

I get the occasional one here & there, but, the couple I used to on a kind of regular basis, I blocked them.

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 12, 2020

I occasionally get these! It's an automated Chinese lady! But there was one day a couple weeks ago where I got AT LEAST 10 from them in one day!! I answer and then hang up because otherwise, it leaves a voicemail. They came through as all Georgia numbers (I don't live there) and the last 4 digits kept changing (I blocked ALL OF THEM)

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 13, 2020

If someone actually KNOWS me they will text me instead of calling. I try to listen to the voicemails in a timely matter in case it IS important. I have YouMail on my phone so sometimes when someone calls it will actually come up as "Potential Spam". It's great.

whizkid likes this.
  12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2020

I never answer a call from a number not on my contacts list. I'll listen to voicemail right away in case it's something important. (I also never answer the door unless I am expecting someone.)

13. Guitart

Guitart Comrade

Apr 13, 2020

I answer all my calls because sometimes they are real people and turn into fun.

We had storms with hail last week. Next day the roofing companies were out in full force, driving around and calling home owners. They called, asked for me by name, starting talking about stopping by for a roof estimate. In my best Speedy Gonzales accent, I told the guy, "Si senor, I'm a roofer. Are you need me for a job?" I went on and on in half-ass Spanish, not allowing him to control the conversation. The guy gave up. I don't speak Spanish and lucky he was not bilingual. But I know enough tourist Italian to win any phone call. They give up in seconds when speaking to an Italian.

They play their games, I play mine :)

Linguist92021 likes this.
  14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 13, 2020

My brother in law had fun with some guy once who was trying to sell him something. He started by saying he was so glad the guy called because he hadn't spoken to a real person in weeks and he just went on and on about his back problems and the guy eventually hung up LOL

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 14, 2020

An old boyfriend told me that he would answer calls and if it was a sales call, he said he was interested, kept the guy going and agreed to everything. the sales guy was all happy and wasted half an hour on the phone. When he finally asked for credit card #, my ex said "oh, I'm just the gardener, I will let them know you called"

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 14, 2020

Good one! It must be a really crummy job having to call people all day long but I really don't have time for that nonsense.