Annoyed

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ciounoi, Aug 16, 2011.

1. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

Timeline rehash:

1) I went for an interview for a special ed position in mid-July. I was sent a rejection letter a few days later.
    2) The director of special ed called me up a day after I got the rejection letter. She said they really liked me and wanted me for the job, but felt another candidate had more experience. She wanted to recommend me for a few LTS positions that they had open.
    3) Director of special ed called back two weeks later and said that the other candidate had backed out, and wanted me to do a second interview for the original position I had been rejected for. At this point they checked my references.
    4) Went for a final interview for the original job two weeks ago. At this point I signed an I9 form and discussed salary and benefits, but they couldn't tell me yes or no and couldn't give me a timeline.
    5) Today I got a call at 530 from the assistant superintendent telling me to call her ASAP this evening regarding the position. I called and was told that my "application was no longer under consideration for the special education position."

I am annoyed. Not only was I pretty much jerked around for about a month (not intentionally, I'm sure, but still), but I have now been on 20+ interviews since November, and still nothing. It's always an internal candidate, somebody with more experience, or who knows what else in this case. I've sent out personalized packets to every district in a 1.5 hour radius, have awesome references, have three years of experience in subbing, and have a clean bill of health from the career services resume/interviewing people. I know many other people are in this position, but this is just getting so, so old. What seems to be unique in my experience is that I can actually get interviews, I just never have exactly what the district wants.

So it's back to subbing at least until I can find an LTS. Now, I LOVE subbing, and I could do it forever if I really had to, but my self esteem is taking a huge hit. Honestly, I was pretty much expecting that I would still be subbing at this point last year because of the awful job market in PA, but I at least thought it would be because I wasn't getting interviews, not because I couldn't PASS the interviews!

Just so annoyed and frustrated. Thanks for letting me vent. :thumb:

3. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 16, 2011

I'm sorry. I would be annoyed and frustrated too. It really stinks that it didn't work out for you, especially after all that back & forth. Something better will open up!

And, I hear ya on the interview front; I've had so many and I just can't get *me* through to the interviewers so I've never gotten the job.

4. LuvKinder

LuvKinder Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

That is a horrible situation, I can see how you are feeling down. I would just say to TRY to keep your head up and know that somewhere out there, there is a school that is a right fit for you and when you find it everything will fall into place. I wish you the best! :)

5. SwimPenumbra

SwimPenumbra Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

Hi, Ciounoi,
    You story is almost identical to mine. The only difference is that you are in Pennsylvania and I am in CA.
    Really???? I chose to earn a degree and a teaching license with financial aid, since the colleges put signs all over campuses saying the state government would give you money back to pay your student loan if you chose to be a teacher. What a lie! Now I feel they just cheated me.

6. Ms.teach

Ms.teach Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. I have certainly been jerked around but not to that extent. I can totally understand that it would hurt your self-esteem. Keep your head up. You definitely show that you can persevere and it will pay off.

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

We've all been there....now send an email to the Assistant Super and the Director of Spec. saying how you were so excited about the job and feel that you are a good fit for the district, if any additional positions or LTS come up, you hope to still be considered! ....I know my wording is funny, I'm going to bed now!

Good Luck!

8. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 17, 2011

Thanks for the supportive comments! PCdiva, I did exactly that just now. :)

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2011

This is a hard time to be job searching. I would definitely follow up on the other LTS position that they were considering you for.

Good luck!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2011

That's an excellent suggestion!

11. philateach

philateach Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

Did the Superintendent tell you that you were no longer being considered for the position? It seems so odd that he/she would tell you to call them immediately to tell you that. You have every right to be frustrated!

Will you be subbing in that district?

12. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 17, 2011

Philateach - I will be subbing in the district come the fall.

13. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 17, 2011

Update - I just checked the board minutes for the district's August 8th meeting. Apparently they approved someone (a sub who had worked for the district for the past two years) for the position at that time. Which means that not only did they wait over a week to let me know this, but when I emailed them asking for an update on my application two days after the board meeting and they told me they were still interviewing, they outright lied. Now I am REALLY annoyed and feel jerked around. :-(

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 17, 2011

I'm really sorry to hear this is happening ciounoi! :( It seems like you will be able to still have income and get some experience through subbing, but it is extremely unprofessional of the school behaving like this. It would make me second guess if I really wanted to work for them, honestly.

I am glad that you did follow up with the administration though-- I think that was a great idea! And I hope something good can come from it :)

15. philateach

philateach Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

You have every right to feel frustrated - they discussed salary, benefits and had you fill out the I-9 form. That's just crappy. Honestly, it sounds like they all wanted you but you never know, maybe someone had to fulfill a favor to someone else (hire the principal's niece, eg.). I'm sure, however, that if you handle this like the professional that you are, that you'll be the first person they consider for the next opening. I wish you the best of luck - it will all work out.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2011

So sorry this happened, but we just have to keep chugging along. Yeah, it's not that I dislike subbing, but after so many yrs of doing it, I want something bigger & better. It's not like I'm retired from a nice, long career where subbing for the rest of my life would be just great. I'm in the beginning of my career...& getting off to a late start I might add. Sigh! :mellow: