Annoyed with New York Hiring Freeze

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Zoey, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Zoey

Zoey New Member

Nov 18, 2010

Hi! I'm new to the forum, and I'm just feeling so discouraged.

First off, I'm going to be graduating with my degree next year :) One semester away, and I'm super excited (Woohoo, lol). The problem is, I've been in Texas for nearly four years, since I got offered a huge scholarship. I couldn't say no, so I left NYC to come here.

I don't regret it... I love all the friends and I've made and the education I've received, but my timing has been AWFUL. NY has been on a hiring freeze for quite a while now, which is very discouraging for me.

I was really looking forward to graduating and moving back home- I miss my state, my old friends, and most of all, my family. Not to be whiney, but I'm just really frustrated. Sure, I could just take the certification tests, but that doesn't mean that I'll automatically get a job. :/ My dad's really sick right now and I need to be there, but I just don't think I'll get a teaching job in NY right now, as bad as everything is.

I really just am at a loss for what to do. Now I feel like I made the wrong decision when I came here? I just don't know :(

Sorry to whine! I'm just feeling so frustrated!

3. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Nov 18, 2010

All that hard work and knowing that there's a hiring freeze is really frustrating...

Just to point out one silver lining though, my sister-in-law works in a NYC public school, and she has been telling people that the one good thing about the hiring freeze is that the Board of Ed is AWFUL to work for right now!

Would you consider a commute to NJ or CT? Neither are all that far, and may have better opportunities. (Not that I'm sure about that, but if there's no hiring freeze, that's already a better opportunity, no?)

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 18, 2010

Can you afford to work as a sub or a TA in NY while you job search? I did that and was able to find a job quickly, just from contacts made plus it's more experience for interview questions if the freeze ever starts to melt.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2010

I was going to say be a TA or Sub....the pay would probably be comparable to teachers pay in many other places (not sure about texas) and you would be living home? so little or no rent which could make up the difference.

I'm not in the city, but I heard the hiring freeze was only for certain subject areas...maybe you can look into that?

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 18, 2010

Yes, things are really bleak. I'm in southern California & districts aren't even hiring for subsitute teachers either! I'm a sub in a pretty large district, but am not getting much work at all, so I called 10 other districts today & none of them are accepting applications.

All the laid off teachers are returning to subbing & so of course they're the priority people who are being contacted to sub, which knocks out or significantly lowers the chances for the subsitutes to work! All these districts have way more subs than they have jobs for. It's just awful.

7. Zoey

Zoey New Member

Nov 19, 2010

Yeah, the whole thing is just awful. Subbing and commuting are all fine options, I'm just being whiney :) I attended college for many reasons, but one of them was that I would have a better chance of not being out of a job. But these days, unfortunately, having a degree or even a few does not protect you. Oh but if only! Haha.

8. Zoey

Zoey New Member

Nov 19, 2010

Yes, but only in areas like math, science, and special education. Unfortunately, I am only certified K-6, and have none of those certifications.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2010

Zoey~if you are still in TX, you could easily add a sped certification and that might make it easier to transfer to NY.

10. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2010

You can always hit the private/parochial school circuit. I'm sure the scene is pretty competitive there too but that's still a major improvement over "frozen solid."

Same for out of the city. If you're certified in NY, that covers the whole state. Jobs aren't easy to come by anywhere but as far as I know it's only the city that's in full lockdown. NY is a big place...

11. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Nov 19, 2010

I am in NYC DOE and I wouldnt say it is awful. There are a lot of restrictions, but not more than other schools. The freeze has been on for 3 years- they are not taking TA or sub applications in addition to classroom teachers.

You can always move to NY and work in Long Island, Westchester, CT, or NJ. Keep in mind that it is very hard to find a job in these markets though.

Good luck.

To smalltowngal- it is very hard to teach sped, and if you do not have the heart to teach these children, you should not. I always cringe when I hear people say, "well if there is a freeze, go get your sped license". It is NOT the same, and you should not be in this setting if you are not prepared and your heart is not in it. There are also chemistry positions open- why not go get your chemistry cert?!?!?!?!

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 19, 2010

Try to go private--- get some experience and then go looking for a full-time position in a public school if you want to. I decided to do it that way since I saw that NY and NJ weren't doing so well with positions--- and honestly I think I'm just going to stay in private :)

13. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Nov 19, 2010

I'm sorry to hear your dad is sick. If its important to go back to your family after graduation, go. The job will come. You may need to work nearby or take a non-teaching job, but it will work out for you.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2010

The job market is tough everywhere these days. I hope you get to move back to NY and wind up being one of the lucky ones!

(sorry, I don't really have any advise, but did want to wish you luck)

15. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Nov 19, 2010

If you can, get certified in high school math, physics and / or chemistry.

:2cents:

16. TechGuy

TechGuy Rookie

Nov 20, 2010

NJ is just as bad, good luck getting a job there! it's brutal out there!

17. SpringGirl14

SpringGirl14 Rookie

Nov 20, 2010

I'm not sure if you plan on living on your own when you come back to NY but TA's or even Para's make a salary that most could not live on, at least not in NY, unless you maybe have another salary coming in. There are many NY charter schools, especially in Brooklyn and Manhattan still hiring. There are also independant schools, they have a website with job openings. You can also try Catholic and Private schools. But as far as the DOE, your luck is little. Honestly though, after student teaching in a publice school, IMO, I would rather stay away. Yeah, the money is good, but the grass is not always greener. If you plan on sitting at home though waiting for a teaching job, it's not the smart thing to do. You're gonna have to probably work a job outside of the education field for a while for income while you search for a teaching job. Good luck. Also, if you teach in NJ, you are going to have to take NJ certification tests.

18. SpringGirl14

SpringGirl14 Rookie

Nov 20, 2010

Totally agree. I know at least 3 people doing this just so they can get a job. The reason why there are so many special ed jobs is bc it's so demanding and there is such a high turnover rate. I would hate to get special-ed ceritified, spend the money, to realize I hate it and then be out a job:dizzy: