Annoyed with admins view on absences...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Preschool0929, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Pen4Pencil likes this.
  2. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  3. Pen4Pencil

Pen4Pencil Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

I believe you Mr. Mike. Ignore the rest of them. They are like the bullies at my school, the lions ganging up on the gazelle. My teacher said to ignore them.
    And the rest of you, I want to become a teacher. I want to teach elementary, and seeing how all of you are treating him just because of his unique situation is making me rethink if I want to be a teacher.
    I think that I would love to be in his situation. Who wouldn't want to work in a school that gives parties for students.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 21, 2016

Mr. Mike, how has Williams affected your school?

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2016

Gaps doesn't even begin to describe it.

yellowdaisies and Backroads like this.
  6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2016

What position do you think YoungTeacherGuy holds?

7. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2016

Close...he is an administrator.

Backroads likes this.
  9. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2016

YoungTeacherGuy has been a member of these forums for quite some time; I feel as though I know quite a bit about him. He's shared a lot about his journey into administration and his philosophies; I have tremendous respect.

yellowdaisies and mollydoll like this.
  11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2016

We've been around the board longer. People's positions tend to become known as a matter-of-course.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 21, 2016

Once a member makes enough posts, it's pretty easy to figure out who's on the level and who's just blowing smoke.

13. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 21, 2016

That's a pretty well known idiom, Mr.Mike. I debated using the phrase "lake-effect fog" instead, but chose to go with something more familiar.

We've seen a lot from YoungTeacherGuy over the years; his posts are both consistent and, from my experience of California, credible.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  15. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Oct 21, 2016

Well I leave for a day and my post has caused a troll to come out of the woodwork....oops :)

Mr.Mike...if your story is true, and I highly suspect it's not, I feel so sorry for the students you taught at the "poor" school. How sad to think that you thought so horribly of your school, families, and students based on SES.

And on that note...I have 3 personal days left this year. I have every intention of using them to spend with my family. Or sleeping....whichever sounds good at the time.

yellowdaisies, Backroads and MrsC like this.
  16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 21, 2016

The good news for ME (at my low income school) is that I confirmed I was due three bereavement days after my grandfather's passing.

17. Expo Markers

Expo Markers Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

This is not unique to teaching- sick days tend to be viewed negatively regardless of the job in question.

However, teaching is one of the few professions where you are actively guilt-tripped for taking days off.

"You'll disrupt their learning."
    "That looks REALLY bad."
    "What about the sub? Aren't you worried that the sub won't follow your standards?"

My personal opinion is that we have all been told teaching is a calling, and perhaps this is showcasing my naïveté when I say that I do believe that it is a calling, but calling is not martyrdom. We can be drawn to teaching, love our jobs, and still want time to rest and be with our own families.

How this time off climate differs in more affluent districts is not something I know of personally; I am in suburban South Carolina, and as such, a lot of the schools around me are Title I. Nothing wrong with that, but they have different problems than affluent districts. And affluent districts do have problems too; there is no such thing as a district with no problems.

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 21, 2016

1) I'm calling BS on basically everything MrMike said. The chances of an entire staff of teachers going three years without needing a single sick day are lower than my odds of winning the lotto five days in a row.

2) If I'm sick, I take off and I'll be [redacted] if I'm going to feel bad about it. If I can go in, I will, but I'm not going to make myself feel like crap, and I'm certainly not going to put children in danger by going in when I should stay home. I had a year where I used no sick days, I had a year where I used several.

3) Your administrator is absolutely crazy. Emergencies happen to everyone.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  19. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

20. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2016

I believe there are thousands of people who never miss a day. I believe there are buildings of people who do their best and don't take time off frivolously. I don't believe there are entire buildings of people who never miss a day. Even in prison, some end up in the infirmary for something.

Here are things that have happened to teachers I know over the past year or two: stroke, car accident on way to work, broken leg while hiking, food poisoning, skin cancer treatments, gall bladder surgery, strep throat, dental emergency, miscarriage...

Backroads likes this.
  21. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2016

This.
    I'm someone who has, outside of required training, never had a personal or sick day so far in my career. That being said, everyone else I know has taken at least one of the two for one of a myriad of reasons, none of which would be looked at negatively by others - whether within the school (including me) or whether parents/students. I probably would've taken a personal day or sick day by now, but I'm sort of obsessive about not taking a day away, and plus, sub notes take me a while ;)

Backroads likes this.
  22. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2016

I'd buy the no sick days thing on a suspension of disbelief. I just can't accept the notion as a good thing of firing people over being sick/having sick kids, or letting the PTA have so much power jobs. What I really don't buy is that this solitary school out of a whole district gets all these fancy benefits. Perhaps if you told us the name of the school we could have it independently verified?

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2016

I absolutely believe that there are many people who have never taken a sick day. An entire school staff going 3 years without a sick day is harder to believe. A school that hires subs to stay with teachers' children, that invites sick children to come and spend the day in the school nurse's office and that provides an environment where no one on staff gets injured or is too ill to be at school? That's where belief becomes suspended.

24. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2016

Well, people get sick and injured. They just pretend they're on vacation so the moms who need therapy every time they see fudge brownies don't crucify them.

MrsC likes this.
  25. novalyne

novalyne Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

I'm not sure I understand this. If you take 3 days off because you are sick, but you call it "vacation time", how is this different from taking 3 days off because you are sick, but calling it "sick days"?

In all three schools I've worked for, vacation and personal days had to be requested and approved in advance. Sick days could be taken with little or no advance notice (as could a personal day for an emergency).

It seems to me that taking 3 short-notice "vacation days" makes you look more like a slacker than taking 3 short-notice sick days. I would think that the perception would be "Why is he suddenly taking vacation days and just sitting around the house/having fun/relaxing? Doesn't he care about the kids and their learning?" Don't you have to expain why you suddenly and urgently "need" a vacation day? Aren't you still out of the classroom?

It sounds like vacation days are exactly the same as sick days, so why is one okay and the other not okay?

Maybe you can explain what I'm missing...

Backroads likes this.
  26. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 21, 2016

Gaps is an understatement, and you are totally right about Irvine's salary scale. They are one of the lower paying districts in Orange County. Always have been. Having lived in that area, I know for a fact that their salary scale isn't even close to being enough to live on, and no way would there be any extra. I think you have to consider the cost of living in your area vs his, too - "typical" houses in Irvine would easily be around a million or more. That makes their salary scale even worse than it looks at first glance.

And if I didn't know about public schools in CA, he would have fooled me longer. He fooled me too long on my other thread as it is. Disappointing. But really? There's so much stuff in here against HR policy, CA state law, who knows what else. For starters, mandatory flu shots? No. Employer mandating doctor's visits? No. 6 months maternity leave? No. Worried about being fired every year despite the union? No. And that just scratches the surface...

Mr. Mike/Pens4Pencils (since you are clearly the same person), what is your purpose here? I mean, granted, you've given me some laughs tonight reading through your outlandish posts on this thread, but I'm genuinely bummed that you posted on my serious and heartfelt thread about low income schools and hijacked it away from it's original purpose. And I'm bummed that I actually believed you because I hadn't read this thread before posting on mine.

And to reference the other current thread "Where have all the posters gone..." here's a reason I stopped posting as much. I got sick of the trolls and negative and dramatic people who ruin it for those of us looking for actual real feedback, opinions, advice, and connections.

27. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Oct 21, 2016

This is beyond bizarre for starters. To the OP, that is just sooooo wrong of your P.

To Mr. You're All Jealous I teach at an Affluent School:
    You seem to want to poke the bear and get us all riled up that we don't teach at YOUR school. I think just about everyone whose posted in response to you has ZERO desire to work in a school that makes their teachers come to work after MAJOR SURGERY or basically not allow them to be with their own sick kids.

And since when can teachers "take vacation"? I do not know any teachers that get vacation days, other than what's dictated by the school calendar. Personal days yes, but vacation days? GTFOH.

And just to add because I want to, I'm pretty sure my salary is much more than yours and I work in the poorest congressional district in all of the USA. Of course I'm talking about working in a PUBLIC SCHOOL so the type of school does NOT matter, pay scales are determined on a number of factors, usually dictated by the union, district or state. DO YOU GET PAID MORE BECAUSE THE PTA DONATES MONEY TO YOUR SALARY? I'm pretty sure that's some type of illegal if that's the reason why, as it has happened as an offering here in NYC and was not able to be done.

And now because I feel I need to say more, what school pays for a mobility chair etc? All because they don't want the teacher out? They can't pay for this with public school funds. Oh right the PTA probably funds this? If I were that affluent and had money to just "throw away" to the school. I'd pay for my kid to go to private school, that's where PARENTS can have control like that.

End rant.

28. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 21, 2016

Trolls' schools can do whatever they want. Heck, I'm surprised there's not free child care and a doctor's office right on campus. Why not?

29. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Oct 21, 2016

I'm still baffled about the sub going to take care of your kid. Like what?!? That's just ridiculously unheard of.
    And let me tell you I live in NYC the Mecca of private schools that cost close to my own salary to send a kid for the year. They pay the teachers less than what I make in public school AND parents are NOT allowed to give "gifts" of money and such to teachers because they like their kids teachers and want to keep them working while they are sick even if it's PTA funded. Like NO.

Edited to add, those parents are super rich. My friend has taught celebrities children in these schools.

Backroads likes this.