Annoyed with admins view on absences...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Preschool0929, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 20, 2016

I get what you're saying. 10 years without even an excuse of a reason to take off work is a freakishly long stretch of time.

Luv2TeachInTX likes this.
  2. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Oct 20, 2016

In my main Business which I have to be there a certain day of the week no matter what.
    The only day I canceled was when I got married. (If I had got to pick that date, I would have picked different)

I have had to work that day with the flu (several times over the years) and could barely talk, (I have to speak ) I said every single word that I was suppose too. A lady said that's pathetic.
    I agreed that it was pathetic, did my job, drove to the bank, made my deposit, paid my bills and went home and went to bed . :)

Backroads likes this.
  3. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 21, 2016

You were lucky in the timing, because I assume the funeral was on Saturday.

greendream likes this.
  4. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 21, 2016

I'm also sure you've spread your germs at work and forced others to use sick time.

mollydoll likes this.
  5. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Pen4Pencil likes this.
  6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2016

Or, you could be like my coworker who came to work with the flu because she has a "great work ethic." She didn't miss any work, but a third our students did when they got sick.

Sick people who are working in close confines with many people need to stay home when they are potentially contagious. I never understand why this is not common sense.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2016

So nobody in your entire school has any sort of health problem? Nobody needed surgery for anything? Or had something contagious? Or needed a medical procedure? That seems very unlikely.

Again, getting sick is not a moral failing. Everybody has a professional obligation to use their leave time responsibility, but that doesn't mean never using it.

8. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2016

I guess I don't understand. You are fortunate that you can get procedures done on weekends. That hasn't worked anywhere I've ever lived, usually. Most doctors have one or two days a week dedicated to specific procedures so there is no choice involved.

You were also fortunate to need no recovery from your hip surgery or the anesthesia! Usually people aren't supposed to drive or do much for anywhere from a couple of days to a few weeks.

That sort of environment is not at all typical. I'd say here the average teacher uses maybe 5 of their sick days a year. I haven't paid too much attention because everybody is professional and does what they need, while also managing their health, so absences never impact the dapartment much, and the students not at all since we pinch in with lesson plans or making copies or whatever might be needed in an emergency.

Backroads likes this.
  10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2016

So if your child gets deathly ill and you use sick time, you get fired?

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2016

So you have to get sick on the weekend?

12. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  13. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

14. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 21, 2016

Your school sounds very controlling and meddling. "Cult" even comes to mind.

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2016

I agree with this. Not every sickness is quickly remedied with over-the-counter medicine. It's unfair to make people suffer a whole week when they truly need rest.

Is sick leave simply not part of your benefits? And again, what happens if a family member gets sick?

Or does your school forbid you from having families?

16. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  17. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2016

What about babies and preschoolers? Can you bring those to the school with you?

18. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil and Backroads like this.
  19. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2016

That's nice, but it still sounds like that if you have a sick baby at home you'll get fired for taking a sick day.

I'm not saying your school doesn't have great programs and incentives for the teachers, but it still sounds like one can be fired for taking a sick day, that using those benefits will be held against a teacher.

Is your school staff just lucky enough to not have any big emergencies and able to avoid using stuff, or is it really a case that one will be fired if one is too sick to come to school, even to sit at the desk?

Has anyone actually been fired for taking a sick day?

I wouldn't want an obviously contagious, puking teacher in my kid's classroom.

I guess what I'm trying to get at, is that while the medical philosophy at the school sounds stellar, and I understand you technically get 15 days of sick leave, are you actually allowed to use them if really needed without endangering your job? If you are too contagious to be in school, or a child gets seriously ill where a babysitter or sub just won't cut it, is your job truly in danger? Are those sick days just there to satisfy some legal policy?

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2016

Your nurses have a full supply of all medicines and antibiotics? I find it very challenging to believe that there are no circumstances under which you would not have to/be able to take time off. A couple of weeks ago, we had a stomach bug going through the school--close to half of the staff and students came down with it over the course of about 10 days. When you got it, it hit without warning. Believe me, I could not have been at school the day it hit me; I could barely leave the bathroom let alone the house. When my colleague was stung by a bee (she has a lif-threatening allergy) she needed to be taken to the hospital. When the Special Ed teacher who works in my room had pink eye last week, she needed to be at home until the antibiotics took effect so that the rest of us wouldn't catch it. When I needed to talk a day off to deal with a medical crisis with my mom, there was no question about what I would do. When I needed to take a couple of days to deal with a family member having a depressive episode, I had the full support of my admin. Life happens, often at the most inopportune times. I can't imagine working somewhere where I didn't feel that I was free to take care of my own health and the health of my family in a timely way.

mollydoll likes this.
  21. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 21, 2016

Okay, to review. You teach in a huge school district, which must be a public school. Everyone dreads being let go so much that they never take sick days. Administration is aware that teachers knowingly come in sick and stay at their desks while teaching assistants take over for the day. Meanwhile, substitute teachers are hired to stay at the teacher's home with sick children.

Yeah, I'm going to call B.S. on this.

22. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2016

What if you don't feel comfortable with the sub hired to go into your home and care for your child?

23. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  24. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  25. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  26. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2016

Wow. High income means no emergencies. Good to know!

Also glad to know that only careless, lower income, people get food poisoning. Except maybe that time my entire family was taken to a very high end, famous seafood restaurant in San Francisco and 2 ended up in the hospital from shrimp. And all those stupid people who bought organic spinach that had E. coli contamination. What were they thinking? And let's not talk about those silly parents who bought leaner butter for their kids a few years ago.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  27. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  28. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2016

I'm with this. Food poisoning, accidents, lice, stomach bugs, allergic reactions and sick family members do not have socio-economic boundaries. How discriminatory to presume that they do.

What difference could it possibly make whether you take vacation time or personal leave instead of sick days?

yellowdaisies and Backroads like this.
  30. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  31. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  32. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2016

I think it sounds like your PTA has far too much power if teachers are afraid to call in sick.

And the way you worded, yes, it does sound like people get fired for using sick days. Being forced with my job threatened to hire a sub to watch my kids when they need their mother is pure evil.

It probably works out for you just fine, but wow, it really does sound like a cult.

And my school pays about the same as your for unused sick days. Whoop dee doo. What bugs is that your jobs are on the line for using sick days, that you are expected to come in sick.

That kind of micromanagement is unprofessional. The PTA doesn't respect you, nor does your administration. They treat you like their pets.

yellowdaisies and GemStone like this.
  33. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2016

What is bothering is presenting being sick as a moral failing or something that can be avoided. It isn't.

Last year, for the first time ever, I got a nasty virus and was out 4 days. I was contagious and had a fever and was taking multiple medications that caused drowsiness. Nobody at my school even requested a doctor's note, though I supplied it anyway at the end of the month with my leave paperwork. This is because we are treated as responsible professionals.

One of my college friends recently missed work due to an infection. He has a pretty high level job in the energy industry that requires crazy hours and overtime. His boss sent him a get well soon note with a funny cartoon while he was out sick.

Backroads likes this.
  34. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  35. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2016

And I'll happily enjoy being treated as a professional with an administration and PTA who respects that my life is more than being a teacher.

Luv2TeachInTX and MrsC like this.
  36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2016

We have a considerable amount of time built into our school year calendar that we can use for vacation--2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week in March, 9 weeks in the summer. Except for exceptional circumstances, we don't have any vacation days during the school year--we would have to apply for unpaid leave. I am not ashamed of time I take off; it takes me hours to prepare for a sub, so I don't take it lightly. I don't keep track of how many days my colleagues do or don't take off; it isn't my business and it is no reflection of their ability to do their job.

You're right, I haven't taught in an "affluent school"; all of my work has been in public schools. Some of our parents are fairly well off, some are working 3 or 4 jobs to keep the roof over their heads. Nothing that I have read in your posts over the past couple of days make me feel as though I'm missing anything. My administration and parents have respect for the professional decisions we make every day. They also recognize that family and health come first.

Jealous? Not even close. I've always known how good I have it; your posts just reinforce it.

Bunnie, yellowdaisies and Backroads like this.
  37. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2016

I agree with this. The school pays entirely for my family's insurance, I have a great leave policy, and at the end of the day my health care holds it own against Mr. Mike's. And I'm allowed to take off days to take care of myself or my kids without being fired for it.

I also find it highly suspect his school pays its teachers so much more than other schools in the district. That's fairly rare.

38. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  39. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2016

So, you can hire anyone you want to stay home with your sick kids, but you can't stay home with them yourself? I'm glad I have only taught in schools where they respect me enough as a professional to know when I need to be with my child. When my toddler was sick last month, she cried when I set her down on the couch so I could use the restroom...I'm sure she totally wouldn't have minded at all being left with some random person!

Bunnie and Backroads like this.
  40. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 21, 2016

Sorry, Mr. Mike, but there are some things you've written about that I find incredibly hard to believe--especially for a public school here in California. I could find some credibility to your statements if you taught at a private school.

As an administrator, I encourage my teachers to stay home when they're unwell or their children are sick. My principal's motto is: "Family first."

I looked up the pay scale for your district (you mentioned that it is Irvine Unified in a previous post) and noticed that my district in Central California actually pays a whole lot more (especially when taking into consideration that we a low performing low SES district). Shoot, I even looked up your administrators' salaries and realized that as a 4th year VP, I'd make 98k. In my district, I make 110k.

Surely, I can't be the only one who's finding some gaps in Mr. Mike's statements...