Annoyed with admins view on absences...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Preschool0929, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Oct 17, 2016

I'm at a new school this year and posted earlier in the year about the announcement that my P made at our first staff meeting. She stated that no teacher should be leaving at 3 (end of contract day) and if you did then you should be arriving at 5-6am instead.

Of course every teacher works outside of contract hours, but it just annoyed me to hear that it's "expected". A few weeks ago we received an email saying that we should never have an emergency requiring us to take off on the day of (aka waking up sick and calling in) and that most absences can be planned well in advance or at the very least the night before.

Then today we receive an email stating that teachers should not take off on Mondays or Fridays because subs are less available and it affects student learning to be off those days. They are also starting a "no absences" club for teachers and those who do not take off each month get extra planning.

Ugh. I'm just annoyed. I work so hard, and so many hours. But I get sick. My husband gets sick. My infant son gets sick. And outside of all that....I reserve the right to take a personal day "just because" if I want to, without feeling bad about it.

End of rant

dgpiaffeteach and Backroads like this.
  3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2016

I worked for a P like that once. She told us in a faculty meeting once that our priorities should be school first, family second. That's the way she ran her life.
    I needed a day off once because my son was having a medical procedure. She said it was too close to the testing dates and I should change the date of his procedure.

I took my original day off.

I actually really liked this P and got along well with her. Just didn't like her thinking sometimes.

4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Oct 17, 2016

I feel the same! She's a great person, and really knows her stuff. She has young kids at home, so I'm not sure why she thinks like this. She made a similar statement that during the school year we should be with our "school family" more than our actual family.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2016

I feel bad for HER kids.

6. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Oct 17, 2016

Wow, what a great way to make teachers with children feel like crap. Really? Not everyone has family around that can watch their kids at the drop of a hat when they get sick. My parents are deceased and my husband's parents are in ill health. :(

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 17, 2016

I'm at a new school. My grandfather died last Wednesday (I'm okay, he was 94 and lived an amazing life), but I had to help my family out of state, so I was out for three days. My P made it clear he was very unhappy with my absence today, but the memorial service was yesterday afternoon and I couldn't drive eight hours overnight to make it back today. Thankfully, my AP was the one who saw me fall apart last week and made sure I'd have the time off.

linswin23 and MrTempest like this.
  8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 17, 2016

That just makes me so angry. I'm sorry for your loss. :(

MrTempest and PallasAthena like this.
  9. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Oct 17, 2016

Principals who have expectations like this make me very frustrated! We may love what we do, but, in my book, family always comes first. It is beyond me how one could put job before family!

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 17, 2016

How frustrating! 9-10 hour work days should NOT be the expectation, and family needs to come first, as does personal well being! I usually work 9-10 hours, but I can also work a shorter day if I need to or if I'm just tired! Your contract hours should be the expectation, NOT extra.

11. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Oct 17, 2016

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Backroads likes this.
  12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2016

I agree. And it showed.

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 18, 2016

She probably didn't like her real family. LOL They probably didn't mind her not being at home if she had that mindset.

czacza likes this.
  14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 18, 2016

If you are a member of a union, I'd let them know. If my P told me that, I'd be on the phone or emailing my rep.

Kat., czacza, Backroads and 2 others like this.
  15. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 18, 2016

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Pen4Pencil likes this.
  16. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 18, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  17. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2016

That's not much of a job to protect. Anyone with masters degrees and willing to work 12 hr days forever can do much better than teaching.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2016

I am sorry that your P has this mindset. Of course it's better for the students for the teacher to be there everyday; however, things come up, sometimes unexpectedly that cannot be helped. Our boss says that she understands family comes first, but if we take off, the next day she does mention it in passing like it's a big deal.

19. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 18, 2016

I find it absolutely ridiculous. If they want me regularly working long hours, they need to spell it out on my contract for me and pay me accordingly.

Just a few days' ago, my P on her blog wrote the following:

New York was great, seeing my son for this year is amazing no matter the activities. While flying to Chicago on the first leg of my trip, I had a great deal of turmoil and considered returning home to "take care" of some issues. However, sitting in the airport it occurred to me that I was making a decision between my family and the school. I was also "acting on emotion." After making this realization and calming down I determined that I will always pick my family and you should TOO! I also realized that I trust Assistant Principal with all aspects of the school. So the message I am trying to leave is that we are amazing people, we take care of each other and a huge school of littles and their families everyday! Who is taking care of us? WE HAVE TO TRUST AND LET PEOPLE HELP US! Also, your life and families outside of school are not less important than school, ever!

20. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 18, 2016

It doesn't seem that this P respects you a professional. I agree with the suggestion to go to your union and let them know that admin are pressuring you to stay longer than contract time.

I would almost protest by getting a group of teachers to purposefully leave exactly at contract times regardless of what they say. But that's just me.

I'm someone who cannot work well at school. It's just not my environment that I get productive work done. I spend lots of hours of my own time during weekends and at home doing work and preparation. To an admin who might be closely monitoring me, it might look like I only stay on contract time, but in reality I probably work 60-70 hours a week, and there are plenty of days where I have to stay really late at school for something or other throughout the course of the year. As such I don't feel guilty for leaving when I feel like leaving as long as it follows contract rules.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  21. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2016

You can come teach at the school I subbed in today. The P flew right out of there before I even left... and I was just a sub! LOL

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 18, 2016

Wow. This is mind boggling. Like I've said in many other threads, I actually applaud any teachers who are fully prepared for the next day and able to leave at contracted time!

23. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Oct 18, 2016

We got an email last year from the district saying there was a sub shortage and nobody should be taking Fridays off. The union hit the roof and there were a series of emails both from the union about how the district can't dictate personal days and then a clarification from HR on what they "meant" to express with the original email.
    I'm not a fan of the "work longer to look like you're working harder" philosophy. I had to deal with it in a corporate situation. I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. It does seem like something the union could throw some interference in if your contract doesn't require you to stay past a certain time.

24. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2016

I think there's a difference between asking everyone to take it into consideration as they plan their days off, as long as it's just that: a consideration and not a force. Our district allows for 25 personal days (district-wide, I believe) on M / Fs, but makes exceptions to that as needed, and of course it doesn't refer to sick days at all.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 19, 2016

Anytime I plan a day off (for a personal day or dr. appt. etc.) I like Mondays or Fridays. That's my preference and I'm not going to change my plans to appease others. There are some days in my school where special events are going on so we can't take off unless we have a doctor's note but they are well known so you can plan in advance. If you are really sick you will be able to get a doctor's note.

26. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 19, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  27. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 19, 2016

Why would they give you a list of subs to pick from without vetting the subs first?

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 19, 2016

So if none of the subs are available you don't get to take the day off?

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2016

That sounds like quite a convoluted system. I enter my absence online; our building preferred subs are called (automated call) first. If they don't pick up the job, the calls go further afield. My P has no say in whether or not I take a day off, unless I am requesting an unpaid leave.

30. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 19, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  31. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 19, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  32. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 19, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2016

Not the school--every school board here operates the same way.

34. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Oct 19, 2016

You do know when a Job is posted on Aseop it is gone in seconds unless it is a 1/2 day or a hard job like PE for instance.

When it has to go through * Channels* so to speak they have to see if their spouse or kids that are Subs or other relative wants it, then they go to friends of theirs then on and on down the line.

If they wait until 8:00 am (When school starts) I wont do it, some Subs will.

The sooner it is posted on Aseop the sooner a Sub gets it.

I got one this morning at 6:30am after 7:00am I have to think about it, after 7:30 am it has to be a really easy one or I will skip it and 8:00am * No Way !

Leaborb192 likes this.
  35. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 19, 2016

That seems crazy! They have to pay subs, too...

36. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 19, 2016

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  37. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 20, 2016

Supervisors like that are the worst. I used to have a principal who would brag that he had never taken a sick day in 10 years, and he put it to us like a challenge. To me, that's like bragging about never having anything stolen from you in 10 years. It doesn't speak to your personal fortitude--it just tells me that you've had a run of good luck that could come to an end at any time.

MLB711 and otterpop like this.
  38. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 20, 2016

Yes it does. I was the kid who got perfect attendance all through high school and most of middle school (missed one day due to the flu) and I got sick throughout school. I either sucked it up or happened to get sick outside of school. I still have that same commitment. I get sick from time to time, but usually just colds and allergies that I can't take sick days for (I don't brag about it though). Many people stay home for a headache (or "mental health days"). I'm not saying that you or everyone else does that, but it does show commitment especially to your boss if you're there everyday. I don't know anyone who gets as many sick/personal days as I do outside of teaching (my bf who works in a private school gets 4 a year and rarely uses them), but I know plenty of teachers who use most if not all of their days. I get people have kids and you can't help them from getting sick, and I don't have any, but I hope when I get to the point that I do, I've developed a good reputation as being very reliable and I've saved up my sick days.
    If you're sick a lot and need to use your sick days, then take off and no one is going to judge you for that (or should) and some people are just healthier than others I guess, but I think it does say a lot if you are there 99% of the time. Please don't discredit that.

39. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 20, 2016

I'm not talking about 99%--I'm talking about 100%. My point is, if you have never missed a single day in 10 years, that means you haven't had something catastrophic happen, like a broken leg, a kid in the hospital, a death in the family. That's not sucking it up, that's great luck.

mollydoll likes this.
  40. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 20, 2016

Backroads and Pen4Pencil like this.
  41. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 20, 2016

You don't get what I'm saying. I'm not saying that every situation where you could miss work and choose not to comes down to luck. What I'm saying is simply, if you don't personally have any situation that pulls you away from work in the span of 10 years, then you are lucky.

mollydoll likes this.