annoyed? Nope totally confused....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by justwanttoteach, Jul 10, 2015.

1. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 10, 2015

Picture this: it's 5pm on a Friday night and you get a call from a district you recently interviewed for asking a few different numbers for references because two of them are not answering. You give them numbers. A week goes by and then you receive this email:

Dear candidate
    We wanted to say we were excited to meet you and impressed with your skills. We have extended an offer to another candidate but wanted to inform you that we will keep your name should needs arise.

HR
    Xyz district

(Insert deeply annoyed sarcastic comment here) Um what!? How did I go from possible employee to a name on a list of possible candidates for later!?

Now picture this:

You have interviewed 5 count them 5times at different schools within a district..you're told references will be contacted..a mont goes by and nothing happens. Then today some 2 1/2 months later you get a call from said district asking you to interview again at a school you have interviewed once already....how many times does one interview before getting the job? It's hard to walk in confident when you have interviewed there before multiple times....suggestions? Tips to keep me from losing my mind? :whistle: Just sitting here totally confused and frustrated......

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 10, 2015

You're over analyzing things. You have multiple posts complaining about basically thing same thing. Just get as many interviews as you can and try to figure out what you can do better at each interview. There's no telling why they aren't choosing you. Some people go years without getting a job. It's obvious you are frustrated but this isn't getting you anywhere.

4. Stlteach89

Stlteach89 Rookie

Jul 10, 2015

Some interviews I have been to for one school had multiples steps to them. A lot for me were just one standard interview and then they chose the candidate. I spent 3 years working different positions in schools and getting better at interviews in the meantime. My first few certified teaching interviews out of school were terrible. My interview just a few weeks ago was great. Just figure out how you can improve and do your best. Remember as many questions as you can and put them in a document. Prepare for types of questions you expect to hear. Most importantly, be yourself and back your answers up with experience. If all else fails you can also take lower paying jobs in a school to get a foot in the door. I did it. It wasnt ideal but I think it was beneficial that the staff at my interview last month already knew my work ethic and personality. I learned that around where I live, people get hired often because they were already in the district so I decided to go that route. Be grateful for every interview even if the situation is a bit frustrating. Some people can't even land interviews. Don't give up! Good luck on your search!

5. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 10, 2015

i would be frustrated too. I would reconsider trying more reliable references. Like someone said, be gratefull you are at least getting interviews, I can't even get one school to call me for an interview.

6. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 10, 2015

@stl teach I did take a lower paying job...problem is financially I am not making it. There are several months a year when my medical insurance is more than I make. (Working par time iin a district is KILLING ME and medically speaking I have to have benefits In Order to live YAY Epilepsy!!

I think I just needed to vent. I get it, schools can be picky and want the best. Sometimes its hard and embarrassing to go on interview after interview only to be passed up. (And let's talk timing...calling to reject me as I'm walking into an interview is a pain to deal with.) I am begining to wonder if my masters degree is hurting rather then helping my cause

7. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 10, 2015

It probably has little to do with your masters degree and all with how you are interviewing. When I was looking for a new job several years ago, I went on 11 interviews in 2 weeks before I got a job. After each interview, I reflected on how I did and what I could do better. When I was looking this year, I only went on 3 interviews and www offered a job that I didn't even apply for or interview for. Confidence in your abilities goes a long way! Principals want someone that they see as a good fit. You will find the right school.

8. Stlteach89

Stlteach89 Rookie

Jul 10, 2015

I definitely understand the need to vent! Sorry I can only give advice based on my own personal experiences. Still pretty fresh in the education world. Just be as positive and confident as you can. I'll be hoping for the best!

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 10, 2015

Could it be that your references didn't share positive remarks?? The phone call to check references isn't a guarantee for a job, it's just that most of us are pretty darn certain our references will gush and gush about us.