Announced observation today

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 17, 2019

AP told me he would observe me today. I told him what I’d be teaching and he said ok. I told him I looked up my previous observation score, saw what needed improvement, and told him the changes that I will make from the last observation to this one.

He observes me and says I did well.

Later on, we talked about the observation and he said it looked like I put on a show. So I asked if he liked it. He said it was one of the best dog and pony shows he’d ever seen and we both laughed....

3. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jan 17, 2019

This is why as an admin, I like to do one scheduled and one unannounced. One to see what kind of dog and pony show you can put together, and one to see what a real day looks like. To me, both are important.

a2z likes this.
  4. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 17, 2019

The main difference between what I did for show today and other normal days is that I allowed the students to have their phones to use to look up stuff. To look up examples of real life uses that involved my lesson. That’s where I lost points the 1st time by not having students using technology. On normal days, we do book work and work out math problems. Gets the job done but scores low.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 17, 2019

Having it be unannounced just makes me more nervous. I very much prefer to have observations scheduled. What I appreciate most of all is when admin have, in the past, offered to let us/teachers invite them into our rooms when we want to be observed for a certain standard or activity.

It also depends on school atmosphere... the way a principal approaches observations can be helpful or nerve-wracking.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2019

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    nstructor likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 17, 2019

At least he said you did well! And also I imagine it looks positive for you that you were willing to look at his feedback and make changes.

8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 17, 2019

After school, the P and I talked about my observation with the AP. P said the AP was bragging on me about my show so then I asked P what he looks for in an announced observation because I thought "what's the point?" if I'm just putting on a show. P said that announced observations allow him to determine how particularly well I planned the lesson out. He said that when teachers know that they are being observed on that exact date and time, it should look well-planned and executed. That said, he said it's a bad sign if announced observations go hay-wire or if the lesson totally falls apart. Any thoughts from administration here? Teachers?

a2z likes this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2019

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019