Angry!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Julie, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Julie

Julie Rookie

Apr 26, 2006

I am venting, as well as my grade level, so just bare with me. Our county makes our students take 9 week assessments "so we can see where our kids are". I already know "where my kids are". I don't need a stupid, time wasting test to tell me that! Anyway, getting back, the county has taken each class average for reading and math, printed it out with the teachers name and passed it out to all the elementary schools in our county! So now we can look at every other teachers scores and see "who is the better teacher" call them and find out "how they do it"!!!!!:eek:
    How can they compare classes when everyones class is different? Different class size (ours happens to be the highest in the county), different learning need of students, high and low.
    Would any of you be troubled by your class average being produced for all other schools to see, with your name by it!!!???

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 26, 2006

Here in Maine they do it by school not teacher. And not the scores but if the school is on the "bad" list. I can't remember what they called it.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 26, 2006

I've had a principal do that on the campus level and that didn't bother me since everyone pretty much had the same kind of kids on a campus, but I can certainly understand why you are upset about this. I would be upset as well. You could have one kid move in right before the test and blow even the best group's average.

If they truly wanted all the teachers in your county to emulate the "better teachers", they would have arranged for those teachers to do some sort of inservice or little presentation of their successful strategies.

5. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2006

I don't mind testing. I think its valuable but I personally think thats uncalled for to put your name on something and pass it around the district. One year I had 4 kids in my class not on level and the next everyone was this year I think I will have 2 not make it. But its not fair-every year your class is different. Talk about putting the pressure on!

6. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Apr 26, 2006

Are you in my county? (ha, ha) We got something similar, though, ours showed how we did compared to the other schools in our district and compared with the teachers in our school. We don't get to see all the teachers in the district. I don't like the tests because my students don't try - I can look it over and tell which ones they didn't read. And I have one or two that I swear just fill in bubbles because I know they are smarter than the VERY low percentage they are getting and it brings down my entire class average!!!:(

7. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Apr 27, 2006

Julie,
    How is tutoring done for the EOGs at your school? I hear it's different from school to school and I HATE the way it's done at mine so I'm just wondering!