angry parent

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lindsnh, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Oct 7, 2008

Yesterday at the end of the day one my my students walked by me just as I as raising my hand and my nail nicked his ear. I cleaned the area and placed a bandage on it. The child was fine. Well the parent sent me a nasty note this morning wanting to know what happened and why she wasnt notified. What should I write to the parent. I am already having a horrible first year and day by day is getting worse!!!:(

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 7, 2008

I would just send her an apology note and explain what happened and the fact that it happened at the end of the day and you did not have time to write her a note. I find it necessary to write a note home or leave a voice mail, especially when working with elem. ed. students (esp. the younger ones) because either they don't remember what happened, their parent doesn't believe them or come up with a big elaborate story.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 7, 2008

I would talk to your admin. And I wouldn't write I would call after talking to your admin. I always call if I scratch a student just to let the parents know what happened.

I'm sorry you are having a hard first year. Take a deep breath, relax some and it will get easier.

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2008

Hmm, was blood drawn? Since there was a bandage, I'm assuming it was.

If that's the case, I think it's better to be apologetic and offer an explanation for what you were thinking rather than defensive. A cut that draws blood probably should have been sent to the school nurse, technically. Hopefully, she's not really as angry as the note sounded, and hopefully your explanation can include a bit more than that you didn't think it was such a big deal (which, I agree, it probably isn't).

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2008

Parents can be very defensive when it comes to their kid's "safety", and although it really probably was nothing, I would set the parent at ease by calling them, and like JamieMarie said, notify your admin. so if the parent goes to them, they have already heard about it!

7. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Oct 8, 2008

Think of it as "day care" where parents receive a daily log of what the kids ate, when the pooped, what activities the worked on AND any bites, scratches, bumps, bruises, etc. I skip the intake and output data but bumps and scratches ... I made a little Ouch!! Note to inform parents of owies. Better to give your version than rely on the munchkin memories!!