Anecdote for NOT chewing gum

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Mr. Windchill, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Mr. Windchill

Mr. Windchill Rookie

Apr 23, 2007

At the beginning of the school year, the custodial staff placed a letter in our faculty handbooks asking teachers to not allow chewing gum in the classrooms. Apparently the staff spent hours upon hours if not days upon days cleaning up every piece of gum from years past found on desks, chairs, floors, walls, etc.

According to the students there is only one other teacher than myself that is really strict about gum chewing in class. I wasn't so strict myself until I saw numerous pieces of gum glued under seats and desks. Well students would ignore the rule. They would receive detention yet that would not change their behavior. Just the other day I had a classful of students who were chewing gum--habitiual offenders so I issued Office Referrals for "Insubordination" since they know the rules yet continuously ignore them. Due to their level of ignorance, I saw that each received several days of In-School-Suspension.

Well ... the other day each were called to the office to discuss their infraction receive punishment. As the last student came in, I asked what his punishment was ... he said he wasn't sure because he had to wait to hear back from the administration to see if he was going to Transitional School (for students with severe behavior problems). I forgot, he was on a behavior contract which essentially means you have been in trouble so much that a few more referrals and you will be sent away.

I kind of felt bad that chewing gum would do him in since he wasn't much of a trouble-maker in class. But I realized it wasn't for the gum, it was for knowing the rules and refusing to comply. What I really like about the situation is the anecdote that could come from this when discussing rules with future classes ...

... "DO NOT chew gum in my class--it just may land you in Transitional School--I've had it happen!":D

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2007

Gum chewing didn't do him in. It was just the last straw. Continual refusal to follow rules did him in.

But your repuation is now gold!

4. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Apr 24, 2007

At my son's school, they have an infringement system. Three infringements and you're on detention. My son received an infringement for swinging on the back two legs of a chair. Being late for school because my husband wanted to watch the English soccer match on TV, and because he and two friends played a practical joke by telling the other students in the class that the location of a particular lesson had changed to the library and all but the 3 of them went to the library. His detention was scraping off the chewing gum under the science room desks. He thought it was disgusting. I told him that I'd hoped he'd learnt his lesson, to which he replied, "Ah, mum, it was worth it. We conned 21 kids into going to the library"!!

I don't know, but maybe get the kids to scrape off the gum as a punishment which can then be used as a deterent.

5. synapse

synapse Comrade

Apr 24, 2007

The beauty of logical consequences is that students see the results of their behavior...you place gum under the desk...you clean all of the desks.

Gum chewing as the last straw, which leads to removal from school??? ...sounds like frustrated adults to me. I fail to see how this helps a child to learn anything.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 21, 2007

Yes, but in a school setting it is often disposed of under desks and chairs, in the drinking fountain and on the toilet seat--hence the "rule" against it.

7. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 21, 2007

This is making me think of the book "Janitor's Boy" or whatsitcalled by Andrew Clements, in which the kid is punished for smearing a desk with gum by having to clean gum from the entire school.

Oceanus, besides for the fact that the gum is usually NOT properly disposed of, I think it's disrespectful to do it in class. And if it's allowed in school, it will be chewed during class as well. I think it is reasonable to let kids have a drink with them in class, but chewing gum is completely unnecessary and breeds an excessively casual attitude in school

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 21, 2007

In our school it's against the rules. So that, in and of itself, makes it "wrong."

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 21, 2007

Our rules say there is a $10 fine if caught chewing gum. I've never actually seen one of our kids chewing gum, so I guess it works.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 21, 2007

There is absolutely no time wasted because nobody bothers to chew.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 22, 2007

On occasion I'll see kids with gum. So sometimes I start class by offering 10 seconds of amnesty to anyone with gum. They have to get rid of it NOW and there are no consequences; they know the next kid I catch gets detention. I never have to get to the detention stage.

I think it's worth the time. Our school is carpeted. It's expensive to replace carpeting that has been ruined by gum. I also think it's disgusting to speak to a room full of people chomping on gum.

Also, I think there's a certain value to showing adolescents that the rules apply, even to them.

12. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

May 22, 2007

Favorite Poem

I have this poem posted in my classroom, and it really makes those appearance conscious middle schoolers not want to chew gum.

"The gum chewing student and cud chewing cow
    Look quite alike, but they're different somehow.
    What is the difference? Oh, I see it now.
    The intelligent look on the face of the cow."

13. bettyb

bettyb Companion

May 24, 2007

I actually had gum on the bottoms of both of my feet one time when I was teaching summer school. It was impossible to enforce the no gum chewing rule because the principal didn't do anything about it. I must admit that I finally just started ignoring it. Rules only work if there are consequences. Kids would return from the office and smirk at me because all the principal did was talk to them.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 24, 2007

We have found that it is easier to enforce rules like "no chewing gum" and "no iPods", etc. when all teachers are on board. If the kids know that every teacher will ask them to spit out gum or put their iPods away, they soon learn not to even bother trying to get away with it.