Andrew Clements has invaded my classroom.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 30, 2008

Yes, the author who has written barrages of school stories, one of his latest being No Talking. The characters in the story are called "The Unshushables"- they are fifth grade students who never stop talking. It then turns into a boys-against-girls contest where they are only allowed to respond in three-word snippets (and the extra words get tallied against the boys or girls on a notepad).

I heard my kids whispering that between next Tuesday-Thursday, they are doing the contest!! Then another kid tried to teach me hand motions yesterday afternoon to explain why they are doing the contest! We're currently on page 80 of the book and it's great, but man, I should have prepared myself!!! :rolleyes:

Besides that, I've declared that I need to finish that book this coming week because I probably have a few newbies coming the following Monday. (Gulp) :unsure:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2008

At the end of last year, the class across the hall from me did that. The teacher didn't read the book to them, though. One of the kids read it and told everyone about it.
    Maybe I need to get a copy and read it aloud... I could use some quiet!!!!! :lol:

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 30, 2008

It'll be an interesting two days, I can inform you of that. They work together quite well for just being together for almost two weeks.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 30, 2008

Let us know how it goes. The music teacher told my class about the book at the end of the year and they held their own contest for a day. I have no idea how it turned out, but it was a quiet and productive day from what I could see. I wouldn't mind if Andrew Clements invaded my classroom. His books have great messages for kids. The only one I haven't read is The Report Card.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 30, 2008

It was all their idea. I guess they truly like this book after all. :woot:

I've read Frindle in the past to my students, and I just picked up another one of his newest books (it's the one about the twins). Other books in my classroom are The Report Card, Lunch Money, A Week in the Woods, The School Story, and The Landry News. I have not read Room One.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 30, 2008

Room One is pretty good. Don't go in expecting a true mystery complete with clues and detectives though. It is more about a boy who loves myteries trying to figure out a situation he finds odd. It does have a wonderful ending and a great lesson. And the TV station they mention is real! So cool!

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 30, 2008

I guess I am behind on my reading. I haven't read Lunch Money, the book about the twins, or The Report Card yet. I better get busy.