And I thought that I had it bad...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ifightaliens, May 13, 2009.

1. ifightaliens

ifightaliens Rookie

May 13, 2009

If you don't know, I'm a first year teacher, anxiously awaiting my first summer break. I'm still not sure if this is for me, for a number of reasons.

Anyway, an NTA came into the English office where I was typing a test (I got moved around January and still don't have a computer/phone/PA system... but I DO have a microwave and a projector that doesn't work). She said to me "Room 206 is CRAZY... I don't even want to go over there." I told her that since it was my prep, I could take some of the rough students. We could hear the students down the hallway.

About 2/3's of the class were screaming, one kid was running around the room, others were throwing things and essentially just being out of control. A few kids were telling the others to shut up, and that they wanted to learn. The NTA left and I stayed, saying I would take a few to my class. They refused to come, saying there were only a few more minutes until the end of the day. This teacher then told me that every one of her classes were like that.

I think I'm going to tell my most disruptive students that I love them tomorrow because they have not driven me THAT nuts.

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 13, 2009

It's not the students you have to thank. The credit belongs to you.

4. english_bulldog

english_bulldog Rookie

May 13, 2009

Classroom management is key, and the credit does indeed belong to the teacher.

:)

5. justfluttering

justfluttering Rookie

May 13, 2009

My first hour has been like that all week. My other classes are fine. My definition of fine is I get to teach, they get their work done. There is some chatting but there is no animosity.I feel outnumbered in first hour. I have 7 girls and 4 boys, about a third of the class, that just are out to disrupt. It starts with the announcements and goes downhill from there.