Anchor Charts...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Jul 11, 2012.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2012

So, I have posters in my room, but I would really much rather move to anchor charts. However, I have ZERO artistic ability. As in can't-draw-a-stick-figure bad. I will draw things on the board (especially in math and science) and we always joke about how I am such an amazing artist :lol: Anyone in the same boat? And how do you overcome it?!

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 11, 2012

I didn't draw pictures on any of my anchor charts. I just tried to add some pretty doodles to the outside and use lots of colorful markers to make it look pretty! I always look at the anchor charts people make and I get sad that I can't do that. I think I'm going to start bringing home my chart paper and having my hubby draw the pictures the night before, or at least draw an outline so I can trace over it and pretend it's my own! ha

I always told my kids how I'm not a good artist, but I still at least try and bless their little hearts, they would always tell me I was SOOOO good ha

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 11, 2012

I, most of the time, write in different colors and don't really illustrate. I write in different lettering at times, too. Sometimes, sure, I decorate and add embellishments of sorts, but that isn't a "must"! :)

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2012

My anchor charts aren't pretty, they're functional. I can't draw very well either. I agree with the others, use different markers & lettering if you can.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

I don't draw on my anchor charts either. I use different color markers and most of the time, my students will write on them.

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 12, 2012

I'm planning on using my SmartBoard (you can import graphics :) ) for my Anchor Charts this year and printing them out for (1) center areas and (2) student resource folders.

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2012

Frame them on colored paper

Print the titles in color with fancy font

add large notepad cutouts that say things like 'fun'

Frame them with bulletin board trim

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 12, 2012

If I plan it ahead, sometimes I print pictures from word or from google image searches or add the pictures after the chart (like the next day when we read it). But honestly, I just draw it anyway and I have gotten better. I have used different "Learn to Draw" sheets over the years and they really do help you learn to draw things and to analyze the shapes that are in things.

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2012

I always do mine as a draft with the kids and then make a published version. They come out much better when there isn't an audience waiting on me. :)

11. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 12, 2012

This is what I do! We make a rough draft together and then I make a pretty one that I use to display. If it's going to hang in my room all year, I want it to look a certain way (well, good :p)
    I use the "rough" draft until I have some free time to make a new one (or use my creative pre-interns). The kids always love to see the new one! I'm not artistic either but give me pinterest and I can make a pretty cute anchor chart given some time!

12. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 12, 2012

I do this also! Sometimes I make them before hand but leave space for ideas the students share.

Are you on Pinterest? There are tons of anchor charts on there. Some are highly decorated, others are from artistically challenged people like you and me! :)

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

That is originally what caused me to be depressed about my lack of artistic skill.
    As I have scoured blogs today, I am finding it is actually much more normal to have them without amazing pictures :)