Anchor charts - post pics of your faves

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 29, 2013

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

I love beautiful anchor charts! I use the ones on Pinterest and blogs as inspirations. (check out chartchums! http://chartchums.wordpress.com/) I make my charts with my students, often using their words, to make the learning more meaningful.
    Looking forward to seeing what's posted here for inspiration!:)

PS...funny noticing: on the 'when to use capitals' chart, one need not capitalize the word fall in this sentence:

It is fall outside.

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 29, 2013

At risk of sounding very ignorant...what is an anchor chart? Is it just a chart that teaches the basics of a concept? One that is used when a concept is initially taught?

Thanks. :)

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

Also can be called 'focus charts'. Anchor charts document current learning. Students can refer to them, make connections to prior learning and remind themselves of key concepts. Anchor charts make thinking visible and put thinking into common language and build a culture of literacy.
    Anchor charts complement teaching. I find it most meaningful to 'build' a chart with my students, sometimes across several lessons..adding to and revising our ideas as we go.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

An anchor chart can be anything you want. Often times they put learning in the students own language and you create them with a student. They are used to anchor the student learning and then students can refer to them throughout the year.
    I make anchor charts of my rules, expectations, what a good assignment looks like, etc.
    I also make anchor charts that show concepts: when to use a capital letter, how to add fractions, what a plant needs.