An up-and-down week

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ms.irene, Mar 20, 2015.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2015

What a week this has been. Last Friday, I had a meeting with my P to discuss my future job position in the district. I was 100% expecting to hear that I would be pink-slipped (I'm on a temporary contract and had seen in writing that ALL temps would get pink-slipped). Instead, my P said she was happy to have me and would have at least an 80% position for me for next year!!!

I am so happy and relieved to know I am not just getting my same job back, but that I will be on just one campus next year instead of split between two like I am now! I was also honored to hear that my P is happy with the work I'm doing, that everyone has put in a good word for me and that they really do want to keep me :)

Then on Wednesday, the VP came to my room and asked to see me in the hall. I thought I was in trouble for something! Instead, there was my husband. My heart stopped for a moment since I knew it meant something bad had happened. It turns out that his father had just passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. He caught a plane hours later to New Orleans where his father had been traveling when he passed.

The last few days have been kind of a blur, very surreal. I have continued teaching like nothing happened, but I'm on autopilot. I haven't said anything to my colleagues other than to notify them of my absence for the funeral in 2 weeks. It is just still too shocking and I can't find a way to say it to anyone in person yet. We just lost my husband's mom a year ago and I think part of me just isn't ready to go there all over again.

Anyway the other post about honesty on this thread made me realize that I am more comfortable posting about this here than talking to my IRL colleagues for now. We are on spring break now and I think once I've had a chance to process I will be able to tell them what I'm going through. It's just been such a roller-coaster that I need time to get my own thoughts in order before I can share them in person, if that makes any sense.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2015

So sorry for your loss.:love:

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2015

So sorry about your father-in-law. Is there one person on staff who you would feel comfortable sharing with and having them inform the staff?

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 21, 2015

Sorry for your loss. I hope for your sake, your spring break is next week, so you can take a breather.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 21, 2015

Grief is an unusual thing. Everyone handles it differently in different situations. From my experience with death so far in my life, when it comes suddenly, you feel the shock for longer than you do when you are expecting it. But every time, the grief comes out in a different way - be it weeks of lying on the couch in a depressive state barely speaking or being in a state of shock for days and then crying your eyes out at the wake/funeral.

If you want to talk, we'll be here. Make sure your husband has someone (or multiple someones) to talk to. A good support system is necessary during a time of loss.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 21, 2015

What a sad shock for you and your husband. Hugs. You'll will have to ride the tide of grief once again, and too soon.

I was teaching a middle school math class when I learned that my husband had passed. My admin was immensely supportive and offered me all the time I needed, but I went back after a week so that my mind would be so occupied for those hours that I got a respite of sorts. Still, there were times when I just crumbled and crossed the hall to the bathroom to cry. Let the feelings come.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 21, 2015

Sending my prayers to you. Let a co-worker know & help you.