An Overhaul of My Furniture Inventory

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by AspieTeacher, Aug 10, 2009.

1. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I am fortunate to have access to 2 classrooms this year, but I work with students with severe disabilities (wheelchair bound mostly) and we do not have access to a place to conduct IEP's. I have had to mark at least 8 different pieces of furniture in my classroom and have it moved to the main warehouse BEFORE I can even begin to straighten, organize, and fix up my room for the next coming year. This is the 2nd year i've been in the classroom and I found that the furniture i'm having moved just took up space and was a great way to store CLUTTER. I came back to the room on Monday and spent almost 5 hours just getting rid of the surface clutter. I'm probably going to be here until Friday working from 6-7am until the evening just to get this room fixed up and organized. I'm fortunate to have sensory items (even though they are baby-like) because my students all of them function below 16 months. I have students with multiple profound disabilities. I still am stuck with what to do with all this extra "junk" that I can't get rid of without permission from the school itself. I wish there were more teachers who could use a "horseshoe type of table", "rectangular work tables", rolling cabinet, small wooden cabinets with latches, 2 teacher's desks, and 2 filing cabinets. It's taking up way too much space in my classroom and I need to get rid of it. Any ontakers?

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 10, 2009

Pick me! Pick me! I could totally use your extra stuff AspieTeacher:D. We just moved to a new school and found out today that the old principal didn't budget for use to get bookshelves. We had to leave all of our desks, shelving units and bookshelves at our old school. School starts on Monday and we don't even have student desks. The one piece of furniture in my classroom is 1 teacher chair:whistle:.

4. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

You'd love the stuff I want to get rid of Proud. I have at least one horseshoe table, 2 rectangular tables, large filing cabinet, rolling cabinet with latch for a lock, 2 teacher's desks, 2 small wooden cabinets. They are just junk to me and taking up way too much space.

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

I would so take the horseshoe table...I want one so badly for my reading groups. I have a circular table that seats 4 and a rectangular table that seats 6...it's just not very fun to help all of the kids in that setup.

What do you suppose would be the charge to FedEx it from CA to Ohio? :lol:

Maybe someday I'll get one...

6. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

I am waiting for a response from the movers who are going to take all that extra furniture from my room. I'm grateful that my principal agreed to get the paperwork started. We have to fill out paperwork to have things moved. If I had a truck, I'd do it all on my own but unfortunately I don't have a truck. I've begun to organize the areas which are remaining though. It's taking a little day by day, but it's worth taking time and not rushing through the entire thing instead.

7. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 12, 2009

Understood...I've been working in my room for hours already. It's still not finished, but getting closer.

I am trying to get finished this week so I can rest on Monday before going to work on Tuesday.

I wouldn't have it any other way though. I want my room to be nice and welcoming and easy to use. I spend a lot of time there, so I want it to appeal to me as well as the kids.

Good luck with the rest of your set up.

8. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

I'm 1/2 way there now karebear. I still need to clean up the break room next door and find a way to get that back all together. It looks like a tornado hit that room. I'm still waiting for the movers to get rid of the extra furniture so that I can actually use my classroom. I really am not able to use the classroom until this furniture is moved.

I really did some hard moving lifting today and I took tons of pictures of how I wanted it to look when it's done. My students are severe-profound with multiple disabilities, but i'm still required to teach even low-level academics. This includes science, social studies, mathematics, language, reading. I have labeled the sides of the shelves to where academic materials are being stored.

I have decided to put all of my "switch activated activities" in a separate area so that it wouldn't get mixed with the academic activities. I have a calendar math area in which I will peform in the morning as they arrive. I'm going to try to get the "switches" incorporated as part of the morning calendar math activities. These are students with multiple profound disabilites and many of them are wheelchair bound.

Most of my students aren't able to do anything that is pre-vocational or daily living, so basic life skills are out the door on this issue. My students have very limited use of their limbs, so fine motor skills is out of the question.