An Average Day in Your Class

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Poodle15, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Sep 25, 2012

This is my first semester in college and I am only observing a 3rd grade class. I was wondering what your typical day looked like in 3rd grade. I know that right now a lot of you are doing something of a review of 2nd grade stuff to get a feel for the levels of your students, but I was just wondering if you tackle all subjects every day or do you divide them up? Between morning work, homework and vocabulary reviews, specials, lunch and recess, there doesn't seem to be a lot of time to start new stuff. Like I said, I'm only in my first semester so at this point I have NO idea what a typical 3rd grade lesson plan looks like or how long each lesson would last per subject. All I know is what I can vaguely recall from my own days in 3rd grade which are colored by a major move and the death of a parent. Not to mention I'm almost 30, so it's been a little while since then! ;)

P.S. How did I forget how tiny 7 year olds are?!

3. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Sep 30, 2012

I'll take anything at all! Even a general idea of how long one lesson is.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 30, 2012

The mornings are rough because I only have 10 minutes to get students in, take care of any "housekeeping" tasks like announcements, collecting homework, or passing back papers, feed them breakfast, clean up breakfast, and get them to specials. That schedule was obviously not created by a classroom teacher!

The rest of our day looks like this:
    45 minutes- specials
    90 minutes- reading, 30 minutes whole group, 60 minutes guided groups/centers
    30 minutes- science or social studies (we alternate)
    30 minutes- lunch/recess
    60 minutes- writing
    45 minutes- ESL class, ESL teachers push in to our classes, kids switch classrooms based on their level of english proficiency, and we (as classroom teachers) go to a data team meeting with our grade level
    15 minutes- recess (one teacher from our grade level stays in for "detention duty" and this is the recess we take away for discipline- all students get the first recess).
    75 minutes- math
    5 minutes- clean up/pack up
    All of our students walk to school, so "dismissal" is simply letting them out the back door.

5. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Sep 30, 2012

Thank you very much for this! I appreciate it. I'm a bit ahead of the game, but practicing writing lesson plans is difficult if I don't know how to plan a typical day. So thank you!

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 30, 2012

I'm in my fifth week of school. We stopped doing review lessons four and a half weeks ago.

I do a spiral review in ELAR and in Math so I hit second grade objectives again, but we have definitely started third grade work.

My third graders are eight, nine, and ten years old.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 30, 2012

I spend the first weeks of school teaching routines. I haven't got into a LOT of new content yet. For example, in math, I have been teaching them the games they can play when done, and the different activities they do independently while I work with my small groups. I haven't started the small groups yet. I have taught a few lessons on new material, but mostly, we are just practicing and learning the routines. We are 4 weeks into the year! It feels like a late start to me, but I wanted to establish routines, like the Daily 5 for Reading in my math block.

Writing is the area where I have really begun teaching new material. That and science. We started those two things the first week of school. We started spelling the 3rd week of school. I'm starting social studies next week. So far this year, my social studies has basically been get to know you activities and doing group and team building lessons. In reading, I have been introducing comprehension strategies, and doing assessments. I'm not doing guided reading yet.

I like the First Six Weeks of School book. I take it slowly in the beginning in order to to establish norms and routines that last all year.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2012

It does take a few weeks to get a full schedule going. My day right now is as Ms Froggy described. Our pullouts are just starting and two new 'specials' have been added to our schedule so it's been a bit of of a dance.

Btw, most third graders are 8, going on 9.:blush: and yes, they are still little and yummy despite the rigor we expect of them.

9. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 30, 2012

We spend the first day talking about routines and procedures, developing a classroom climate, and may start reading one of our first novels.

After the first day, we start teaching review/new content. The students have been exposed to most of the 3rd grade science curriculum in K-2, but 3rd grade standards add more detail/depth to the concepts. There are a few new ones, too.

A lot of third grade teachers do a morning meeting, etc. I tried them one year and did not find them useful to me.

My schedule is something like this...
    8:00-8:30 Students are arriving, silent reading
    8:30-9:00 Reading skill mini-lesson and activity
    9:00-9:30 Reading groups using trade books
    9:30-10:15- Science (I tie in a lot of reading/writing here)
    10:15-10:45- Grammar/Writing... this is the biggest "squeeze".. I wish I had a bit more time for this, but it's simply not there.
    10:45 We switch classes and I repeat the above schedule after student resource... but here's what they do in the other class
    10:45-11:30 Specials
    11:30-12 Math Fact review game, Recess
    12:00-12:30 Lunch
    12:30-1:00 Title I Math or spelling depending on day of week
    1:00-2:00- Math
    2:00-2:45 Social Studes
    2:45-2:55 Handwiting

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 30, 2012

Oh, I didn't post my schedule! This is M-Th. Friday I have no specials and we do a double science block.

8:30-8:45 math game and arrival
    8:45-9:25 continuation of math, including whole class lesson or math groups
    9:25-9:30 quick break (bathroom, water, etc)
    9:30-10:10 writing
    10:10-10:40 snack w/ read aloud, then recess
    10:40-11:10 music or Spanish, alternating daily
    11:10-12:00 Language arts or social studies (I use this time for spelling, lit units, or whatever else I want/need.)
    12:00-12:45 lunch and recess
    12:45-1:25 reading
    1:25-2:05 art, PE, or library. PE twice a week.
    2:05-2:45 integrated unit time- more math or LA, or science. I use this differently depending
    2:45 cleaning and dismissal

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2012

For the most part, this is my schedule:

8:15-8:30--Morning Work
    8:30-10:30--Reading/Language Block (Including word work, reading/writing workshop, grammar, etc. We don't do everything every day, though. So, for example if we have a grammar lesson, we may not have a full writing workshop time that day.)
    10:30-11:00--Religion
    11:00-11:50--Lunch and recess
    11:50-12:00--Read-aloud
    12:00-1:15--Math
    1:15-1:30--Recess
    1:30-2:25--Science or Social Studies (rotated by unit)
    2:25-3:00--Specials
    3:00-3:15--Packing up and dismissal

Two days a week we do handwriting after lunch and don't start math until later, then continue it after recess. We have a shorter science/s.s. lesson on those days.

12. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Sep 30, 2012

This makes sense to me. My (practicum? master?) teacher that I'm observing said she's really just doing review of 2nd grade stuff and hasn't started much. School started here on Sept 6th.

As a new teacher, I'll probably spend extra time on procedures and rules as much for my students as for myself. *When* that time comes. I'm going to make a note of that book and put it on my wish list!

Like I said in the original post, my 3rd grade year was a bit blurred. I have trouble remembering if I was 7 or 8 but I know that I was always younger than everyone else. I graduated at 17 but turned 18 the following October, for example. So I tend to get the ages in grades wrong. See the things I learn here? (Also my age gauge is HORRIBLE.)

THIS is more what I expected. Here school is a full hour shorter than yours (9-3) and an hour shorter than I'm used to where I grew up. The day feels so rushed! Morning work, spelling words, vocabulary and homework review from 9-10:15, then a special until 10:45. Lunch at noon, school's out at 3pm. I realize there are 4 solid hours there, but I think I've spent way too long in retail and office settings where it's monotony day in and day out for 8 or more hours at a time. This is why I ask you guys questions! You all are an invaluable resource and I value your input.

Thank you all so much for this!