An Antipodean Query

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Hedgehog, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

Howdy.

I'm a new member here, in my final semester and I've been lurking a couple of weeks before posting to get the feel of the place.

Don't worry, I'm not hijacking this to an intro thread :p

I'm Australian, well I currently live here anyway but I am a very... international person. I've lived and worked in education (teachers aide) in the UK and here in the land of Oz but when I graduate I'm honestly not sure what my immidiate plans are.

I'm considering a few options and one of the things I would like to do is come and work in the US (New York or Ohio probably as I have some friends there and have been to both in the past) as a teacher but to be honest; I have no idea what the first step would be. I've had a look around at the DOE for both those states and the employment opportunity sections but, not being able to register with them (as an outsider) makes it difficult.

So, essentially, anybody out there have any ideas, kind words of encouragement, things I may not have soncidered or routes I may not have thought of, pointers in the right direction to get started?? I know I need to have an employer ssponsor before I can apply for a work visa.

Yeah. It's not a 'plan' as such yet but it is definitely something I would love to do. (Oh and no, this isn't the only thing I joined for... ^^)

3. drapes330

drapes330 Companion

Aug 9, 2008

It might be worth contacting an admissions officer or counselor at a University in the state/area you are looking to relocate. They may be able to help you find more specific answers. Every state has a different set of requirements for teacher certification. States that are highly recruiting teachers often have certification information easily available on their DOE sites, because they are often trying to lure out-of-staters. I am pretty confident in saying that finding a job in Ohio might be pretty difficult right now. Don't know about NY tho. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck to you!

4. drapes330

drapes330 Companion

Aug 9, 2008

I should have said, a counselor or admissions person in a college of education at a university in the state you are thinking of teaching in.

5. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 9, 2008

We looked at sponsoring a visa for a foreign applicant, but it was a tremendous process. We would have had to prove that there were no qualified U.S. applicants, which just wasn't the case.

But, I'm sure it can be done. Start looking on craigslist, too (I'm serious... lots of charter & private schools advertise there!).

6. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Fair enough. Thanks to you both - I will take this on board ^^

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 10, 2008

Okay, I pride myself on having a good vocabulary, but I had no idea what "Antipodean" meant -- I had to look it up!

Now I have a new word I can use! (Although, being an American, I'm not sure how often I'll be able to work it into a sentence. :)