Amusing Mistakes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms.H, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Jan 24, 2008

Do you ever come across mistakes in students' work that are just so amusing you have to share them? I was just reading a paper about A Tale of Two Cities, and spellcheck must have substituted "gelatin" for the student's spelling of "guillotine." This left a sentence talking about how one character took another's place in "the gelatin." Quite a different meaning!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2008

I don't have an example. But that's funny! :lol:

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 24, 2008

The one I found hilarious was this: I gave my first graders their first mad math minute. One of the answers was 8. One little girl answered only that problem (out of 20), and turned the 8 into a snowman! Then she added an entire landscape to go with the snowman!! She turned a paper with one answer, and a beautiful drawing. I had to crack up!

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 24, 2008

I've read essays that were so genuinely awful, they were like jokes meant to make you laugh. Trouble was, the topics were serious. Samples on request.

6. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jan 24, 2008

I had a parent letter mistake today. It said that the student got a "spuking" last night. I think she meant to say spanking!

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 24, 2008

I had a little girl that told me a noun was a boy nun.

8. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jan 24, 2008

Yesterday one teen that I tutor in school, grade 10 Math, said that they had learned about the eclipse, on their last lesson.
    "The eclipse?"
    "yes"
    "Mmm, I wonder if you mean the ellipse?"
    We laughed about it afterwards. It was funny!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2008

That is funny, Carmen.

It turns out the words come from the same roots: leps, lips, (Greek), laps (Latin) ‘left out’:

ec-lipse OUT-LEFT ‘not shown’ becomes ‘shadowing of celestial body’, and the word now also means ‘outshine’

el-lipse OUT-LEFT ‘oval’ comes from ‘having come short of’. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, first edition, the original ellipse is what results when a plane is passed (or a slice is taken) through a cone-shaped solid at an angle less than the angle of the cone’s side to its base. (That is, the angle comes short of the angle of the cone's side to its base.)

An ellipsis is what is left out of a text, and now also refers to the punctuation mark that shows something has been left out: ‘...’

A lapse (Latin ‘left out’) ‘failing, deficiency’ becomes ‘mistake’: lapsus linguæ is ‘slip of the tongue’, and lapsus calami ‘slip of the pen’ (calamus is from the Arabic qalam ‘pen’)

(Couldn't resist sharing. If it's too much, ignore.)

10. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jan 24, 2008

Interesting, TG!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2008

The odd things I know... every once in a while, something comes in handy.

12. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jan 24, 2008

Once in a while...that's being modest. :rolleyes:

No amusing mistakes to share? I had more to share, if only I could recall them...:confused:

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2008

Well, there's a slightly naughty one my mother collected years ago in a grad school class... The professor - they were mostly male in those days - would give in-class exercises at the beginning of class that he called his "little quizzies". They were ferocious. After a particularly brutal such exercise, one of the ladies in the class approached him to hand it in, and with a mixture of indignation and resignation she declared, "If that's one of your 'little quizzies', I'd hate to see one of your 'little testies'."

Then she realized just how that sounded.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2008

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

15. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Jan 24, 2008

As I went to pick up one of my Reading Recovery students from her classroom, another student said, "_____, your Reading Discovery teacher is here." Too cute!

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2008

ROFL....:lol: :toofunny:

17. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Jan 24, 2008

I had a student who wrote an essay on how Edgar Allan Poe's personal life was manifested in his work, and there was a sentence in the essay that read:

"Poe had a very difficult childhood from the start, being that his mom died three years before he was born."

18. roamer

roamer Companion

Jan 24, 2008

I subbed in a class where there was a particularly difficult 5th grader. I loved this kid, though. He wanted to be the center of attention, no matter what.

I can't even remember what the lesson we were talking about was, but I asked a question and he tried to give a serious answer for once. Problem is, he was trying to say "intestines" and accidentally said "intesticles."

Thankfully, no one seemed to notice and I just kept right on going with the lesson. Inside I was cracking up, though! :lol:

19. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Jan 24, 2008

I was doing a lesson early on in the school year about how every letter has a sound. We went through a song we were learning and said the sound for each letter in the alphabet, and tried to think of different words that began with each letter. It was difficult at first, but by Gg most of the kids had gotten the hang of it. When we were on Ww, I chose on a child whose last name began with W (I try to set them up for success!) and I said, "Can you think of a word that starts like /w/, /w/...?" To which the child responded, "Wuh, wuh...duck?" I had to bit my lip at his totally off-base answer, but I responded calmly and seriously that duck starts with /d/. Then the child said, "Well then, I got nothin'!"

I apologize if this is only kindergarten teacher humor, but I was hoping it would be funny in the "real world." :lol:

20. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Jan 24, 2008

:lol: It cracks me up too!

21. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Jan 24, 2008

Ok I saw this and had to post my latest funny...
    My kids were reading for the DRA and one of the stories is "Duke". Its a about a dog and a little boy. Anyway TWO of my children started off saying Duke in their reading, and then all of a sudden they changed his name to ****. I tape record my students reading (so that I can do the paperwork later). Well needless to say, when I listened to the tape I was not expecting that and I was on the floor laughing. Ok, maybe not as funny as I thought at the time but worth sharing!

22. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Jan 24, 2008

Here is one from my student teaching days...
    The class was talking about insects. They were writing everything they knew about them, and one student wrote "insex" not something you expect from a 1st grader. :) My coop. teacher and I had a laugh.

23. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Jan 24, 2008

I'm sure I have plenty of "Kids say the funniest things" but I can't think of anymore right now.

24. kburen

kburen Cohort

Jan 25, 2008

LOL @ slteach! I teach K as well....Mine at the begining of the year was "/w/..../w/.....pencil sharpener?"

25. kinderkat

kinderkat Rookie

Jan 25, 2008

During my first year as a kindergarten teacher, I had the daughter of the other kindergarten teacher in my class. We were in the middle of a unit about insects when she wrote in her journal "My tchr (teacher) is tchin (teaching) us ubot (about) in sex (insects)." Needless to say, we both got a great laugh out of that one!

26. Mrs_R

Mrs_R New Member

Jan 25, 2008

A few years ago, I was working with a small group of students, and we were trying to find main ideas. We were reading an article on the "British Army", the "Brits," British, etc. I thought to myself, "What a great opportunity!" So I asked them where British people come from. One boy looked at me and said, "I think from China or Japan...someplace over there." When I said no, another jumped in and said, "I think they come from Vietnam." Before I could say no to that one, the first boy jumped back in and said, "No...Vietnam is where the Jewish people come from."

At that point, I told them the answer and went forward with the lesson!:woot:

Mrs_R