Amtrak

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2005

Tell me what you know about it...I have never travelled Amtrak.

3. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Sep 9, 2005

I've only taken Amrak once, and that was only from Minneapolis, MN to Fargo, ND. It's more comfortable than taking Greyhound buses, but I've found it to be quite expensive. At least when I lived in the US, taking Amtrak across the country cost the same or more than flying.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2005

thanks for your reply...I am thinking of taking one the next time we go to Minneapolis...travelling from central WI and I am kind of confused by the fare, but it looks like about 68.00 round trip per person. I think that is pretty cheap, unless I am looking at it wrong.

5. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Sep 9, 2005

That sounds like a reasonable fare. If I remember right, travelling short distances wasn't too expensive, but long distances were. But, I haven't lived in the US for about 4 years, and I'm sure prices have changed since then. I would still recommend the train over the bus. I really didn't like Greyhound.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2005

I travelled Greyhound a lot when I was a teenager(to go see my boyfriend!) and at that time it was ok for short distances, but I don't think I would like it now that I am all about being comfortable!!!
    How do you like living in Japan?

7. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Sep 10, 2005

I totally agree with you! :) A friend of mine and I once went from Fargo to Seattle on a Greyhound, and I don't think I would be able to do that again! I do like Japan. I've been here for about 3 years. I'm planning to leave next summer to go back to university, but I will probably end up settling here eventually. My boyfriend is Japanese, and he's willing to travel around with me for a few years, but I think he wants to make his home here. I'm quite comfortable here (although there are of course many things that drive me crazy), so I'm fine with settling here.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2005

Our son has a girlfriend from Spain and eventually wants to settle here in the U.S. ...but until then they fly back and forth now and then........and run up phone bills, use the internet...it's quite the ordeal!

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 10, 2005

I used to take Amtrak all the time when I was a freshman in college. I took it from NJ to RI. it wasn't expensive and had a food service car. I thought it was pretty comfortable. I also took it to Washington DC from RI which was a long trip but not bad.

10. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Sep 10, 2005

Yeah, I'm hoping to not have to do that. That's why I'm only looking at places where he might want to go too. But, he's not exactly "decisive," so I had a hard time getting him to agree on a place for me to go to school. ;)

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2005

I've traveled Amtrak and was pleasantly surprised except for the woman snoring in the same car as me-ugh!!! It still took the same amount of time as driving a car, but it was worth losing the stress of having to fight traffic and driving the distance. And with gas now a days, it comes out to be less or equal to the cost of spending the money on gas.

12. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Sep 14, 2005

I took a trip a few years ago with my sister & kids. I loved it! We were on the train for two days & got a sleeper, which was exspensive, BUT all are meals were included & they were wonderful. I was surprised how much the kids enjoyed looking out the window & it was really cool cuz the train went through places that only the train could go. The seats are comfortable to travel with too, but I recomend the sleepers for families. It was so worth it!