AMI or MCI?

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by Sunshine78, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Sunshine78

Sunshine78 New Member

Apr 10, 2008

I'm not sure where I should start training to be a montessori teacher.
    As far as I know AMI is world recognized, but compared to that, MCI suits my hours a bit more conveniently than AMI and the pocket too.
    I cant decide.
    It is a once ib a life time option Im getting, if I enroll at MCI would I regret choosing it over AMI? Or do you think MCI is just as recognized and good?

3. yorkyfan

yorkyfan Rookie

Apr 11, 2008

Are there Montessori schools in your area? Ask them which they prefer or check out their websites. I know my school hires AMI only.
    Good luck with your studies!

4. earth44

earth44 New Member

Apr 14, 2008

Do you know...

I'm interested in knowing if supporters of AMI actually know why they are AMI exclusively.

Can anyone tell me the advantage of not updating time lines with relevant info from the scientific community?

Or is it more of a political thing?

5. Sunshine78

Sunshine78 New Member

Apr 14, 2008

I wonder what that meant Earth44 :)

6. Sunshine78

Sunshine78 New Member

Apr 14, 2008

Good idea yorkyfan

7. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Apr 14, 2008

My personal experience has been very good with AMI training - there are jobs everywhere and extremely well run schools and benefits.
    I agree with yorkyfan to check with schools where you want to work and find out the requirements.
    I am an AMI supporter but I don't consider it exclusive. The AMI refresher courses always feature current scientific lectures.
    I don't know about updating time lines. Where did you hear that earth44?
    Good luck sunshine!

8. earth44

earth44 New Member

Apr 15, 2008

There is a distinctiion between AMI and AMS based on the acceptance of updated information.

9. Yenna

Yenna Companion

May 17, 2008

This has not been my experience, although, I have found that there are differences between AMS and AMI. AMI maintains Montessori's original plan for 3 hour work period and 3 year age span. AMS allows for deviations here. AMS training also includes many "extensions" especially in the sensorial, math and language areas. Finally, AMI training is much more comprehensive and includes more study of Montessori philosophy. AMS maintains that Montessori is one of a plurality of possibilities, so many other educational theories are incorporated. This is also true with AMI, however, AMI bases including other philosophies on whether or not it is consistent with Montessori fundamentals.