American Revolution

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ross, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 28, 2009

Am am trying to get a few ideas for a 20 page college paper on the American Revolution.

It can be on any person, place, idea, or event. Really anything concerning the American Revolution, just as long as it is 20 pages.

I have a few things in mind, but I could use some help with other suggestions. :)

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 28, 2009

I wrote a unit for my student teaching that was an in-depth look at the founding fathers and how their individual views effected what went into the Constitution (a study of the convention). I'm sure you could write 20 easily on how their geographical location, religion/philosophical views, interest in history/world politics, etc. played into the parts they fought for and against.

4. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Aug 28, 2009

Aside from the obvious choices like, Boston tea party, Boston massacre and the major historical figures of the time like, Jefferson, Adams, and Washington, you might want to look at the Age of Enlightenment and its effects on the founding fathers. When I teach the Revolution, I take a look at this with my classes. When I put together the lessons on this topic every year I am always surprised how little credit the Age of Enlightenment gets in the big picture of the revolution. Understanding where the sentiments of the colonists came from and why Jefferson worded The Declaration of Independence the way he did takes on a whole new meaning when viewed through the lense of the Age of Enlightenment.

This might be a narrow focus but I always enjoyed writing college papers that were about topics that were not so common. Good luck on your essay!

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 28, 2009

jfor--now I have to do some research, as this sounds interesting.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2009

I got 2.8 million hits by googling

"ideas for a paper on the american revolution"

Good luck with your paper.......:)

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 28, 2009

I love your idea Jem. I have tons of research and papers on that..very interesting.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2009

I'd definitely find something a bit different. The professor has probably read everything there is about the obvious choices.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2009

I love history, but it's been a bazillion years since my last history course. So consider these as wildcard suggestions, some of which may have absolutely no merit:

- the role of Native Americans in the American Revolution. (I imagine they must have played SOME role, right??)

- the role of climate. I would imagine that the colonists had a huge advantage, being a bit more familiar with the North American climate.

- the role that disease played. No idea here, just an interesting idea to explore

-the role that serendipity played. Was there one (or, quite possibly, more than one) pivital point where sheer good luck and the wisdom to take advantage of it pushed the tide of the war?

-the role that leadership played. What if someone else had led the colonists? Would they have survived that winter at Valley Forge? Would they have given up all together?

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2009

When I do this unit with my students, we talk about how literature and artwork in and about the time may falsely portray events of the time, but is it worth the event being romanticized so that people know it happened and the concepts? For example, we look at The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere and talk about how historically inaccurate it is, but then if it was never written, would anyone know who Paul Revere was? Basically - is an inaccurate knowledge gained through art better than no knowledge at all?

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2009

I might suggest the "Intolerable Acts"....

Of the Intolerable Acts I would concentrate on the Quartering Act and the Quebec Act ...

Have fun........ The American Revolution is a fascinating subject..

Major...........:)

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2009

Sometimes, when I need to narrow down a topic, I look for a journal in the field and pick a random recent issue/s and scan abstracts. When I find something promising, I go do a proper search and see if I can find enough material.

13. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2009

When we went to the east coast one summer for a family reunion, we went to Concord, Mass. That is quite a place. It is famous for a battle and Paul Revere, also Waldon Pond and Luisa May Alcott (Little Women) grew up there. It is a beautiful area. There are other famous people, some literary, that resided in this location for a time. You could focus on that? Like they said above, you could tie in legends, myths, literary works...all kinds of integrated info...

14. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

These are a lot of great ideas!

One of mine was to discuss the role of women during the American Revolution. The influence they had behind the scenes, writings, or action on the battlefields.

Women that come to mind are Abigail Adams, Martha Washington, Martha Jefferson, Sally Hemmings, and Molly Pitcher to name a few.

I think though you had some strong recommendations that will have to be strongly pondered. Thanks so much for your input.