American Idol

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Weazy, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

Is anybody watching American Idol this season? Do you like the new format? Do you like the top 9? What about the wild card round--or should the public picked the last three? What do you think of the fourth judge, Kara?

I kind of like the new format--it keeps the show current. Not the same ole, same ole. I was disappointed that Ju'not and and the big bald guy (Matt?) didn't get a chance at the wild card, and I could scream that Tatiana did. She is full of too much drama for me!

I do not care for the new fourth judge. Too many judges, and I still think Simon is the only one who tells it like it is.

I don't have a favorite quite yet, but I'm sure I will. I will wait until I see who the final twelve will be, and what the first couple of competitions bring.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2009

This is the first season I haven't watched it at all.

4. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

Oh--why? I have really enjoyed this season. The "contestants" have been pretty talented.

5. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

I guess because its on 3 days a week and on Tues I watch Biggest Loser and Thur is Survivor so I'd miss a lot and I don't have a DVR.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 5, 2009

I like all the new changes. Sometimes I think that the weirdest contestants are chosen but hey, what do I know. I'm nearly deaf anyways. Lol. Otherwise, my only disappointment is I actually did want the comedian to stay for a while. I didn't want him to win but he brought some excitement to the show and he was fun.

7. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

Yes, it has been on a lot while they have been whittling down the contestants. I think it will only be on two days starting next week, but if you watch Survivor on Thursdays....

I do not have DVR either, which is a good thing. I would be DVRing everything!

8. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

Yeah!!! Tatiana didn't make it! Whew! She was a bit over the top for me!

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 5, 2009

If you do not have TIVO (my cable co. dvr sucks in comparison), you are missing one of the greatest inventions ever.

10. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

Is it expensive? Is it availale through cable?

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 5, 2009

Wow, they made it the top 13! That was a surprise. I'm not crazy about all of them though.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 5, 2009

LOL yeah, I thought it was funny when Paula said she had so many different personalities. What a whackadoodle :lol:

13. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

Surprise! 13! WOW! My son threatened to quit watching if Anoop didn't make it through--well, I guess he will keep watching with the rest of us. I think they have a pretty good group. Tough choices this year!

14. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

Which ones?

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 5, 2009

It depends on if you have HDTV or not. The HDTV dvr is ridiculously priced. The other ones are reasonable. There is a startup cost but it really was the best gift my husband ever gave me and that was 6 years ago. I'm still stunned that a technology gift is my top gift choice. My husband is a pretty romantic guy in general so that's saying a lot. I really do LOVE my TIVO.

It's not available through cable. www.tivo.com. It does go with your cable though and uses your cable's line up.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 5, 2009

I'm not crazy about the girl with the kool-aid colored hair. There are a few others but I don't know their names.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 5, 2009

The drama queen should be plenty ticked though because they said repeating songs is a no-no to her and then they told Anoop they were glad he did it. Huh? I hate song repeaters. I love Anoop though. He wasn't it for me tonight though.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 5, 2009

I didn't see him sing that song the first time so I didn't know he repeated it until the judges said it. He was entertaining. I hope the stylists do something with his hair though! It is really annoying me!

19. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

cng-The DVR for our HDTV would have been $235. How much is TiVo?

20. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

I don't like the kool-aid hair, but I do like her voice. I think she might have trouble when they start choosing the genres, though. In fact, that's when a lot of them start tripping up. They do great when they can sing songs of their choice, but have Manilow or BeeGees night, and they drop like flies.

I didn't know Anoop was repeating until the judges said it. I like him. His voice doesn't match his clean-cut looks. And yes, TeacherNY, they do need to style that hair for him!

Will they be able to use instruments from this point on?

I will have to check out TIVO and see if it is available. I live in nowhere, USA. :)

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2009

Whackadoodle!! I love that word!!! And I'm soooo glad she's gone.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 5, 2009

The TIVO dvr for the HDTV is INSANE. It also isn't the measly 20 hour DVR that my cable company boasts though. It has 150 programming hours. It is a whopping $600! I'm still irked by that. I will tell you that 20 hours is NOT 20 hours. It doesn't come close to recording that when you record high quality HD shows. It would if everything was in basic quality. So I'm having to WATCH the shows more often to make room. I want to store things until I am ready. Plus I used to have 30 shows. Now we record 6-7 shows. That's a big difference. Remember, there is more than just me recording shows. I'm not pleased with my 20 hour cable company DVR. The remote is too big and chunky and the programming isn't as intuitive and smooth. That may vary though across cable companies. I have comcast. I'm sure if it was my first dvr I wouldn't notice the difference. I can't bring myself to buy the HDTV TIVO dvr just yet. I'm hoping they come down in prices. If they do, I'm snapping that baby up and getting a lifetime subscription (lifetime of the box). My other TIVO box is 6 years old and still going. The lifetime subscription at the time was $300. That's $4 per month and getting cheaper the longer we have it. The downside is I couldn't switch to the boxes that record 2 shows at a time when it came out without losing my lifetime subscription because it only goes with the box.

I actually watch LESS tv not MORE when I have the choice to record to dvr because I'm not a slave to the schedule. I take my time getting back to my shows. Plus I fast-forward through all commercials and don't record repeats. I don't watch live tv anymore. Plus my husband and I don't fight about which show to watch.

Now that I've hijacked the thread....

I did NOT like that blonde tattoo chick tonight. I don't know what they saw in her except that she is very pretty. Uggh...

23. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

I agree about Megan--the blonde tatooded chick. She was cute, but I didn't think her voice was particularly strong, and her moves were goofy! What was with that little shimmy she always did--with every song she sang!

I didn't like the very first singer tonight, either. I forget her name. In fact, I was disappointed that she even made the wild card round over a couple of others. Von was good, but Simon was right, he was too serious and gloomy. He needed to lighten up. I would like to know if the contestants receive any guidance when they are choosing their songs. I know they have some help when they are preparing the song.

24. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 5, 2009

I have missed wed nights cuz of college classes, but I have 3 so far of what i remember that i never wanna see on again. One at least is gone. Tationa(sp?), norman, and gay dude with the black headband. (maybe ya'll remember his name or know who i am talking bout). I liked from what I remember: the mom with the black hair(the one whos baby boy was in the addience with her husband and the baby had a shirt on that said vote for my mommy and her picture). Anoop is cool , but idk if he will when he is good though. I think Kira (sp?) new judge is sweet. I don't know if she will last cuz' it seems like the drama of the whole simon/paula stuff gets on her last nerve.

25. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 5, 2009

I like the new changes.

Help! My DVR cut off after Jazmine and Megan. Who is in beside Anoop???

26. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

Weazy, I was thinking about starting a thread for AI! Great minds... ;)

I am so with cng about TiVo-- one of the best things to happen to us. :p DH and I are incredibly lucky: our best friend gave us his TiVo. He has DVR service through his cable provider, and the TiVo was sitting in his closet. He received it as a wedding present (along with a lifetime subscription) and took it after he and his ex-wife divorced. My BIL and his wife have the HDTV TiVo; it's cool, but I certainly don't think it's worth the price they pay.

I haven't watched tonight's wild card show yet, but I couldn't care less if I come across spoilers prior to watching it. I usually FF through the songs anyway. :D

I almost threw up in my mouth when they announced Tatiana's name last night! What the heck are they THINKING?!? I also couldn't understand how they brought Von back! I was happy with the selection of Anoop and Ricky Braddy, but disappointed they didn't bring back Ju'Not or Kendall (cute blonde who sang "This One's For the Girls").

Overall, I'm happy with the selection of the top 9 selected after America's vote. I feel a bit "iffy" about a couple of them, but viewers agreed with me in who they picked for the finalists. :p

I'm going to go watch tonight's episode in a bit! :)

27. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 5, 2009

Was Ju'Not the African American that sang this week? If so he was really good.

28. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 5, 2009

I mean from tonight. Jazmine, Megan, Anoop and _____

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 5, 2009

I was so focused on Survivor that I didn't even realize AI was on again. I'm not all that impressed this season, actually. I'm glad Anoop made it back in. Who else sang tonight? They would've been nuts to let Tatiana back...

30. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 5, 2009

Upsadaisy,

I had two things Tivoing, AI and Survivor. My son shut off the Tivo on Survivor and I didn't see any of it! I was looking forward to it since last week!

31. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 5, 2009

So who was it! My DVR also cut out right before they announced the last of them. Aggghhhh!

32. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 6, 2009

BAH! My DVR cut off right after they announced the two girls. Even though I know, based on what I read here, Anoop was selected, I still didn't get to see Ryan announce it. Stupid DVR not extending the recording time (see, TiVo gives you the option to record a live show a few minutes past the time it's due to end). :mad:

I'm not sure how I feel about them putting Megan back in-- she's not a bad singer, but I don't think she's as great as the judges make her out to be. I also find her "dancing" a bit annoying. Hopefully someone works with her on that. :p Putting Jasmine back in-- good choice. She's adorable, marketable, and can sing well. I love Anoop and am happy to see him in the top. I would have liked to have seen Ricky Braddy in the top 13. :(

ETA: After a short amount of searching, I found out that Matt G. (the dualing piano player guy) is the fourth guy chosen. Actually, he was the third guy, making the viewers think Anoop wasn't chosen. Good call-- I liked him a lot!!

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 6, 2009

:lol: That is the first word that came to mind! There's a reason she didn't get voted into the top 12 originaly! America didn't like her :p

34. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 6, 2009

I dislike Tatiana's personality. I mean she is crys at any little setback. Anytime things don't go perfect for her. I mean I can be a little bit like that sometimes, but 2 things about me. One, I have nor will I ever try out for AI and two, I am not winny like she is when I get upset or cry. You have to have a hard skeleton to make it in the music buisness you know. You may be a good singer and all, but to really make it to a recording artist is big and if you can not cut it that far then bye. I mean I don't think thee judges look for good singers. I think they look for someone that think can cut it and hold on and be tough when they need to be.Also, Someone with an out of the ordinary voice. Someone who stands out. I could see her being a pop singer who only lasts a short time and then people go Tatina who is that. Sry to get on a soap box, but just because you are good doesn't mean you should be AI.

35. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 6, 2009

Paula also pointed out that Tatiana "all of a sudden" had an accent that she didn't have before! She was too over the top for me, and would have spoiled the show. I'm glad they sent her packing! She was probably only picked for ratings, anyway.

36. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 6, 2009

The four wild card winners are: Jasmine, Megan, Matt & Anoop.

I don't care for Megan or her dancing. She is cute, but I don't think she will be able to handle variety. Then again--neither will some of the others.

37. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 6, 2009

Which one was Matt again? The bluesy one with the silly hat and scarf? I liked him.

38. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2009

Yup that's him!!!

39. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 6, 2009

Tatiana is weird, but she does have a great voice.

40. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Mar 6, 2009

I would rather see stylists take care of Von's hair. That "do" is just too much for me! :p

41. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2009

Jem... are you going to be cheering on your "home" state boy?!?