american idol

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by mommaruthie, May 18, 2003.

1. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

May 24, 2003

I think Clay (and his fans) should suck it up accept that Ruben won. They didn't do a recount for the presidency, and I think that's just a bit more important! I tried to vote for Ruben but only got through once in two hours. It depends on where you live- the call volume from my area was apparently too high. In places where Clay is more popular, it was probably vice versa (although my co-worker tried to vote for Clay and only got through twice!).

I'm beginning to see some racial overtones in this whole campaign for Clay. Fans seem to be split along racial lines in many cases. Why can't they accept Ruben won? They didn't do that for Justin vs. Kelly! This was not a clear-cut case in which one person was obviously superior. Both men have different styles and different looks, and both are extremely talented, in my opinion. Both will also go on to have rewarding musical careers. So who cares? I think it is ridiculous to think this was a set-up... why would Fox be part of that????

2. ice

ice Rookie

May 25, 2003

I don't think this is racial. Just a matter of personal choice. People pick who they like or who they identify with.

We have several mixed marriages in my family (across several races) and also professional musicians and singers. Kimberly was the top choice here for talent. Next was Clay and third was Ruben. When picking who we thought would win we didn't discuss the race issue, but we were curious if Ruben would get the large size population vote since all the top singers are 'beautiful people'.

Besides, it doesn't matter who wins does it? My neice was recently on Star Search and didn't win. But look at all the big stars who were on there and lost and went on to be popular. We wanted Tamayra to win last season. She didn't. Look at her now. We will still see our favorites I am sure.

3. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

May 25, 2003

Right! People pick who they identify with, and a lot of times, that is a division along racial lines.

I'm sure it's not racial with anyone at a-to-z. But I do think that's a problem in other communities. There has been a lot of hype about that on both TV and radio. At first, I thought it was ridiculous but after enough sources were talking about it, it really made me think...

Anyone else have an opinion?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

May 25, 2003

I wanted Clay to win because if he goes back to school to finish his degree he will be a fellow teacher. We also liked Kimberly and Ruben. My husband wanted Ruben to win I wanted Clay. Where I live I haven't heard anything about race and why anybody else should of won.

5. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 25, 2003

I still think that it's really weird that almost everyone could get through for Ruben, but no one can get through for Clay. I heard that Simon's not coming back for next season, I don't think the show will be nearly as good with out him, you?

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2003

I heard Simon's holding out for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

7. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

May 26, 2003

I think they will pay Simon whatever he asks. The show would definitely NOT be the same without him. Randy is OK, but he gets on my nerves with all the 'what up dog' stuff every two seconds. He is a professional and should be capable of critiquing a performer's talent without resorting to 'like', 'dog', and 'dude' CONSTANTLY. Paula to me is useless because she praises everyone no matter what. Her feedback is not effective because she is too worried about their self-esteem.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

May 26, 2003

Yes Ruben Won

Myself, I really happy that Ruben won, he deserved it. I loved his smile and his image. He was like a cute, sweet, teddy bear. Clay, I hate his voice. I couldn't stand the way he sang, I felt whatever song he sung, he just messed up. But seriously, the competiton was abut who you would go pay to see. I would pay to see Ruben anyday of teh week. Clay is just a waste of my money.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

May 26, 2003

Me too. He is like a sweet teddy bear

10. Guest

Guest Guest

May 26, 2003

YES RUBEN WON

I really happy that Ruben won, he desevred it. I loved his smile and his image. He was a sweet, nice, teddy bear. I don't think his oice was boring neither. He a a very nice, Jeffery Osbourne, Luther Vandross voice. I personally couldn't stand Clay's voice. I felt that every song that he sung he messed up. Also, If anyone is image was bad, it would be Clay's. He looked like a fake Seacrest. Lord knows we need to see two of them.. LOL. AI is about who you would go pay to see. I would pay to see Ruben and day of the week. Clay would just be a waste of good money.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

May 30, 2003

This year I taught Tamyra's little brother. He is a cutie just like her.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 31, 2003

Diznee,

I went and bought Kelly's CD. It is pretty good. I like Miss Independent, Beautiful Disaster, and the duet with Tamayra. I could just see the video idea if they made one for that song... Kelly and Tamayra with Justin playing the boyfriend cheating on both of them... LOL. Would be a perfect idea for that song! :)

Lori

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2003

Lori,

I would have to agree with you!!! I like the fact that all the songs are a little different than the other. I don't know if you like Norah Jones or have her CD, but I find it pretty boring. Everything on that CD sounds the same!!!!

We usually buy country, but once in awhile we'll get a pop. Everyone thinks I'm pretty silly because I have a cabinet for my country CDs (which is now full) and one for the "Rock" CDs and both are in alphabetical order. I have also used excel to put all the CD's in the computer,so if one's missing I know!!!:rolleyes:

14. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jun 2, 2003

I love Kelly's CD... I really like #'s 1 and 2!!!