American Idol

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by EdEd, Apr 3, 2011.

1. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 3, 2011

I can't believe this thread hasn't been started yet! Yes, I do make room in my schedule for American Idol, embarrassing though it may be!

So:

1. Who are your top 3?

2. Who do you predict will win?

3. Who's going off this week?

3. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Apr 4, 2011

I don't really watch the show...it's kind of just background noise. That is, until PAUL comes on stage. I love him. Once/if he's voted out I'll stop 'tuning' in. I don't have an opinion on anyone else as I don't listen to anyone but him sing.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2011

I like: Casey Abrams, James Durbin, Lauren Alaina, Jacob Lusk. Pia has a beautiful voice, but she bores me a bit. Paul is just okay (sorry, girlblue16) and I don't really care for Haley at all. Too early for me to make a prediction about the winner, but I think that either Paul or Stefano will go this week.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 4, 2011

I don't really like anyone this season. It's like an episode ends and I immediately forget everything that just happened. No one's really holding my interest.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 4, 2011

Jacob, Lauren (though she was better in the beginning), and Pia (though I agree she bores me a bit too).

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2011

I like Lauren & Scotty...

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2011

Since I've never seen American Idol I'll go with:

1. Roger Staubach
    2. Troy Aikman
    3. Don Meredith

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2011

All Dallas Cowboys! Good choices Major!

10. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2011

You got it, stg........:p

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 4, 2011

I watch every week, though the results show is excruciatingly drawn out and almost painful. I think the kids are quite talented this year. My favorites are Casey and James. I agree with everyone about Pia.

12. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 4, 2011

This is the first season where I'm so bored (and I blame the judges for this) that I don't really care who wins. I guess the most talented in my opinion are Scotty, Pia, and James. If I could vote off anyone, I'd start with Steven Tyler.

13. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 4, 2011

I try to watch every week. I like Scotty's singing- he has such a mature voice he doesn't sound like a "teen" if you know what I mean, no offense by any means! We also like Pia, Stefano, James, and Lauren so we're enjoying this season!

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 4, 2011

I just DON'T get Paul. I know there are some that just love him. But to me he looks like he's wobbling around the stage and pushing his voice through a cheese grater. I wish I liked him more, because it looks like he's going to be around a while!

I watch every week, but don't have any huge favorites. I think Pia is the most American Idol-y. But I really like what the others are doing as well.

15. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Apr 4, 2011

Noooooooooooooooooo :mad:

Just kidding. If he goes it's cool. One less show to 'watch.' He's already got his own band, The Grand Magnolias, so it's all good. He's set either way.

Casey Abrams bugs the hell outta me. Don't know why. Maybe it's bc he looks like Seth Rogen, and he bugs the hell outta me too.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 4, 2011

I hate that the judges think everyone is so "amazing" and "inspirational". They are not all that great.

Bring back Simon.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2011

Agreed, kc. I can't wait til the X Factor starts!!

Is anyone going to watch the Voice?

18. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Apr 5, 2011

I LOVE American Idol this season! Normally, I only like one or two contestants, but this year I like several.

I like Paul, Casey, James, and Lauren. I agree that Pia has a great voice, but is really boring.

I want Haley voted off ASAP.

19. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 7, 2011

Updated thoughts after tonight's performance?

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2011

I didn't see the last 2 performances last night, but was impressed by most of the rest. The judges loved Haley, but I didn't. Maybe if she's still around next week, I'll try just listening and not watching. Pia impressed me tonight; she seemed far more aware of the audience. James made me cry; I see some of my former students in him. Casey makes me smile every time he sings; you can tell he loves what he is doing (and the song he chose is a favourite of mine). I loved that Jacob stayed true to his convictions with his song choice; he did a great job. Lauren was okay but I didn't like the way she looked last night at all. Didn't like Scotty much, but he'll likely be around for a while.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2011

I'm so sick of girls with raspy voices having to do Janis songs or as hubby said Come to my window....

I thought Lauren did well & I liked Scotty.

I thought all the girls clothes were awful!!!! It's funny because they were all Gwen Stephani's line!!! I told hubby Lauren is wearing something that I think I wore as a 5 yr old. Remember the old tie up sun suit things... that had those bloomer looking like shorty shorts & then tied up on your shoulders!!!

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 7, 2011

I thought the all did an amazing job last night. I've been watching for years and I do think there is more talent here than ever. The judges are so-so.

23. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 7, 2011

I sort of enjoy Steven - he's definitely on a different planet, but his "sayings" that he comes up with are sometimes funny because they're just so far out there. I do wonder what he's thinking about when he's sitting there!

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 7, 2011

Get rid of Randy and put back Simon and we might have a winning panel. I'm okay with the other two. I've never liked Randy. Trying to go from Dawg to Simon-like comments just isn't doing the deal.

I will say that Steven's sexist comments are getting on my nerves but otherwise I like him.

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2011

Wow...a surprise tonight!

26. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 7, 2011

I'm in SHOCK!

27. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 7, 2011

I was too. I wonder about this voting sometimes though....

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2011

It was a surprise... I wonder if they are thinking they should've saved their save....

29. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 8, 2011

I thought the same thing.

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2011

I now there are people who like Casey on here... but I just don't think he is that great... I feel like he is screaming at me when he sings...

31. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 8, 2011

I don't like him either. I wouldn't have saved him. t thought Pia was boring but she has a really powerful voice.

It's okay not to like a contestant. We all have our favorites. That's why the voting goes the way it does.

32. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Apr 8, 2011

Someone on another board pointed out that so far all minority girls have been voted off, save for Casey, who they saved.

I'm sure Pia will be snatched up by a record label quickly.

33. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 8, 2011

Wow....both my husband and I didn't see that result coming with Pia being eliminated. I thought she was going to be the winner as the new American Idol! I wish the judges held on to their save when they were really shocked that someone got voted off and not be in such a hurry to save the guy who they did use it on... I don't care for him as a singer at all!

I'm just so surprised! We were guessing last night one of the guys because usually there's an obvious person who isn't usually eliminated but that was a big upset still early in the competition!!

It's one of the few shows my husband and I enjoy watching together so we get into it =) He had a little tv crush on Pia too so he was saying "now who am I going to watch?!"

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2011

Tennis... is there in the world that didn't have a TV crush on her?!?! LOL!!!

I'm surprised as well... I thought it was going to be a guy this week... The narrowing is really starting... I don't see Haley, Stefano or Paul around for too much longer...

I did feel bad for Stefano... I mean when judges are like it was wrong it should have been someone else & he was the last one up there... He looked just as shocked as anyone!!! I really thought he thought he'd be going once it was just him & Pia.

35. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 8, 2011

Yeah...well my husband said the judges need to be really judging and giving feedback to help guide the audience with voting because when Simon was on it didn't seem there was anyone off early that was that big of a surprise.

36. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 8, 2011

Oh I know she's beautiful but it's kind of funny when you're watching with your husband and he looks more excited when she's on than others and I'm like hey why don't you talk to me like that! :lol: I know it's just a visual thing for guys....he also likes Haley because of the way she dresses and sings. I don't dress like either of them. I wear comfortable clothes but not entertainer clothes! :lol:

37. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2011

Tennis... are you my long lost twin?!? LOL!!!

I think the singers are getting more guidance from that producer guy that's with them every week than with the guest people in the past... I do wish the judges had a little more hands on approach to it than what they do...sit & say Yup that was good & you look good!!! Geesh... I could get their paycheck & say the same things!! LOL!!!

38. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 8, 2011

I thought it would be Stefano, though I'd be glad if it had been Haley. i am so tired of her forced sexy act. I thought Pia had a chance of winning it all .... yeah, she'll get a contract quickly.

39. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

40. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 8, 2011

So I'm not actually that shocked that it was Pia. I mean, yes - Stefano probably should have gone, but Pia is just...boring. Even her voice - she has moments where I swear she is Celine, but otherwise it's really nondescript in my opinion. While Haley isn't as likeable, she's more exciting, and to me has a much more appealing voice because it's got edge.

I like Paul - I'm not sure he needs to win, because I see him more of a front man for a band, not a pop idol, and I also agree about Casey - good musician and creative, but can't dance and isn't really "idol" material.

I've maintained since the first show that Lauren will either win or be in the top 2 - she never has a bad night, and usually is just simply unbelievable. Definitely not the most interesting person, but on stage she can perform - both physically (movement, dance, presence) and vocally. She is accessible, but unique, and she doesn't just hit a few good notes, but is consistently interesting.

Agreed about the judges too - there was not a SINGLE negative comment given - how is that helpful, especially considering there were critiques that could have been made.

Interestingly, while the judges were baffled by Pia's exit, she was the only one that they really had "constructive" or negative comments for - about her stage presence.

I do agree that the save was too early, and should not have been given to Casey, but I wouldn't have saved Pia either. If it were 1994 maybe, but her vocal style just isn't contemporary enough to be a pop idol, and I'd probably fall asleep during one of her concerts :).

41. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 9, 2011

All Pia likes to do is sing ballads. She does have a great voice but she needs to understand to not only sing ballads but other varieties of music too. That's one thing that ticked me off about her was her attitude a few weeks ago about how "I know I'm doing another ballad but I like it" kinda attitude.

Seems to me her voice sounds good ONLY when she does ballads so maybe that's why she only did them? She either knows this or is afraid to learn and grow by doing faster music. If she isn't open to doing all sorts of music then she just dug her own hole/grave.