American Idol

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pacificpastime, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Jan 18, 2011

Anyone a little hesitant about American Idol this year? With only Randy coming back I think it may be completely different. I will still be watching but I am anxious to see how it will be. Anyone else with me on this one or are people just excited it starts tomorrow?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 18, 2011

I'm hesitant but really it was going downhill for the last year or two anyways. But because I always hope it'll get better, I keep watching.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2011

Thanks for the heads up... I didn't know it started tomorrow!!!
    Is it at the same time as Paula's dance show?!?!

5. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jan 19, 2011

I'm hesitant about watching as well.

It probably can't get any worse than it was last year. The show has been going downhill for awhile. I think the David Cook season was the last season that I enjoyed watching.

Now after all that pessimistic talk, I WILL be watching, because I am always hopeful that it will return to its former American Idol glory!

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 19, 2011

I'm watching because one of my students went to audition, so maybe I'll get to see her!

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 19, 2011

I think the show needed to quit while it was ahead. There have been just too many seasons.

8. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 19, 2011

For some unknown reason, Steven Tyler annoys me. And even though I have always watched Idol, I don't think I will this year.
    But I probably can't resist for long.:haha:

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2011

I haven't watched it for awhile..and even then, I really only watched it through the audition phase. I think the show has jumped the shark and needs to go. :( As sad as it is to say, the winners aren't really doing anything great like they did in the beginning.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2011

Randy was always my least favorite judge. I got really annoyed with all the "dawg" comments and whatnot. It felt really superficial and unnatural.

I really only like American Idol during its first episodes each season where they have the really awful singers. In the past couple of seasons, though, even those haven't been all that fun to watch because it often feels like the contestants are so over-the-top that they have to be singing so terribly just to get on TV. It takes it away from being anything close to "reality" and just more fake stuff.

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2011

For me, the audition phase is ridiculously funny. For the past couple of seasons that is all that I watch.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 19, 2011

Steven Tyler's lips annoy me! Weird. I want to see how the changes affect the show tonight - the age limits are out, I think, and the guest mentor thing won't happen, either. I like Jennifer Lopez and I want to see how she does. Did anyone see her on Ellen? Ellen had her do a hysterical Candid Camera type piece with some unsuspecting people. I watched it while in the dentist's chair and it took my mind off the torture.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 19, 2011

I never watch until after the first auditions. I can't stand the bad singing.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2011

I haven't watched since season 2. I LOVED Steven Tyler. I will probably be watching more this year.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 19, 2011

I was happily surprised. The first night was really good, I thought. Steven Tyler added a nice edge.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2011

I enjoyed last night (at least the hour or so I watched before going to bed). Steven Tyler was fabulous--what a funny man! I hope Jennifer Lopez toughens up a bit, you can't say "yes" to everyone.

17. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 20, 2011

Steven Tyler was hilarious. He was hitting on everything that came through the door.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2011

I thought it went well last nite... they all seemed to get along or have that camera chemistry!!!

Although our lil one said Where is Simon Cowell & I said not there anymore...WHAT?!?! LOL!!!!

19. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 20, 2011

i liked it! usually I do not like the auditions either, but I wanted to see the local crew. ewww some of them were seriously bad!! but, I am looking forward to not seeing paula and simon with their weird arguements!!

20. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 20, 2011

OK, so I watched most of it last night and was pleasantly surprised by Steven Tyler, who actually did not annoy me and I even enjoyed him!

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 21, 2011

I love the dancing shows SO much better. I only watch the very beginning try-outs of Idol once or twice because the funniest part of the whole show is seeing the bad singers & the judges reactions to them!

Plus, I could care less about Tyler. Jackson & Lopez are OK.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 23, 2011

I finally sat down and watched the American Idol try outs. I LIKE the new judges. I was surprised. I have new hopes for the season.

23. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 23, 2011

I really liked the new judges too... I haven't watched it for a number of seasons... the last time I think I ever really watched was when Carrie Underwood competed... I remember not liking her at the time... she always seemed so boring, but she's made a lot of improvements since!

I like the fact that there aren't stupid made-up "judge controversies"... that was incredibly hard to watch, and made me despise the show. We'll see what the talent is like.

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 23, 2011

My only disappointment.... I will be moving out of the country and likely not able to watch this season. It'll be the first season I haven't watched.