American History Teachers - What's the range of your curriculum?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ancientcivteach, Oct 29, 2008.

1. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Oct 29, 2008

We're going through some major changes at my school, and my admin is wanting me to consider a grade switch. The curriculum would be American History - from Reconstruction through the Cold War. Do any of you teach modern American history?

3. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 29, 2008

What grade? In MI we only go up to 1900 in the 8th grade.

How do you feel about making a switch? It seems like you do such a great job with Ancient Civ. Do you like the material you may be taching?

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 29, 2008

In 8th grade we do pre-columbian to the consitution (we do a large unit of government also).

10th grade is Consitution through Reconstruction.

11th grade is Reconstruction through Modern Day.

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2008

In my school, the American History curriculum (7th grade) starts with US & Illinois constitutions then goes Reconstruction thru Cold War.

6. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Oct 29, 2008

Fifth grade.

I've got mixed feelings about the switch, honestly, and its not a done deal by any means. I really, really like my current content (and not everyone does) but I also really like working with the "transition" to middle school. After next year, sixth will no longer be the transition year.

I've always enjoyed American History, and the idea of being able to work through modern times is exciting. However, I'd be starting completely from scratch - and even with curriculum I've taught before I spend hours revamping and fine-tuning.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 29, 2008

I teach ancient America through the Civil War. Why is 5th doing Civil War through Cold War in your school? Is 4th doing the colonization through Civil War? It would be interesting to do the "2nd half" of our history.

8. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 30, 2008

FIFTH Grade. WOW! Our Fifth Grade goes through the Bill of Rights. 8th grade overlaps the constitution/Bill of Rights and goes to 1900 and then everything after 1900 gets covered in High School. When do they get the first part of history?

Knowing all the work you have put into Ancient Civilization, I am sure this would be a huge decision. (Not to mention you will have to change your "name" :lol:)

9. goopp

goopp Devotee

Oct 30, 2008

Our fifth grade does Civil War through modern times. When I was teaching fifth, I enjoyed it. The kids like it because there are a lot of wars during the time period and that seemed to be there favorite subject...war.

In fourth we teach native americans, explorers, colonization, Revolutionary war, and up to the Civil War. I like teaching it, but I really enjoyed the fifth grade curriculum more.

10. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Oct 30, 2008

4th grade does native americans through Civil War, 5th does the second half. In 8th Grade we do state history from the origin of the state through the cold war.

Yeah, WIG, I've thought about the name thing too - the poster "formerly known as ancientciv" :whistle:

The positive thing is that I should know by January one way or another - which gives me plenty of time to start looking for resources.

11. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Oct 30, 2008

I teach Revolution to modern day history for my seniors, but virtually every minute of class is spent to cram it all in.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 1, 2008

Wow! Is that AP US History? I couldn't imagine covering all that in a CP or even an honors class.