American College of Education (ACE) for Masters ?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Acamp, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

Mar 23, 2019

Good morning all!
    I hope you are enjoying the weekend break from the busy teaching week I’m sure you all had.

Has anyone on this forum recently earned a Masters through ACE - American College of Education? If so, could you share your experiences? Which program, how long did it take you to complete, how rigorous, overall feedback? The price can’t be beat and I need to jump into a Masters soon.

If I posted this in the wrong sub-forum, I apologize in advance. Wasn’t sure where it would fit.

Thanks all!

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 23, 2019

I am a few classes from finishing up at ACE and other than the exhausting pace (5 week classes nearly back to back are no joke), I'm enjoying it a lot. The courses have been pretty good, though occasionally the lectures leave something to be desired.
    I'm doing the M.Ed. program in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis on digital learning, started last January and will be done this summer. Really my only complaint is that a lot of the classes I've taken have had a disconnect between each weekly task (so like... the readings, lectures, discussion posts, and assignment often seem to be not related to each other in a meaningful way). I've still learned a ton that has been immediately useful in my classroom though, and the assignments are generally helpful and practical.

I definitely recommend ACE though. It's cheap, the classes are rigorous and informative, and hey, I'm getting my Master's after only a year and a half of classes.

Acamp likes this.
  4. MrTeach11

MrTeach11 Rookie

Mar 23, 2019

I actually just turned in my last paper for my program yesterday and will graduate as soon as the grades are submitted. The program is educational technology and I completed it in just over a year. I started last February. The reason I am finishing it in just over a year is I doubled up on classes for two 5 week sessions. One was over the summer and the other was in January. It could be done even quicker if you double up even more classes. But if you follow the program like it is laid out, it takes a year and a half like miss-m stated.

Just like any program, you get out what you put into it. If you go in just looking to complete a masters for the pay bump, you will be able to complete it but not take much out. But if you go into it looking to learn and get something out of it, you will learn a lot. I think all masters programs run like this: The classes are each 5 weeks long. Each week goes from Mon-Sun. There are usually 3-5 articles to read each week and 3-4 quick (~3-6 min each) video lectures to view each week. On Wed. of every week there is an original discussion board post and by the end of the week you must respond to at least 2 of your classmates posts. At the end of each week, there is some sort of paper/presentation due. The papers are sometimes completely separate from each other and sometimes the papers build on each other so at the end of the 5 weeks, you have one extensive project. You also have a 5 question multiple choice quiz about the video lectures due at the end of the week and on the last week a final exam that consists of 20 multiple choice questions. I usually stayed after school for 1-2 hours each day to get the work done. I found getting the discussion posts done early in the week and then working on the papers throughout the week made it very manageable. I was able to complete it while also being a football coach. Working on 2 classes at a time was time consuming but doable during the offseason.

The biggest issue I had with the program was some professors were not overly involved (I guess this is true with any program). They would grade and leave minimal or generic feedback on papers and also not really be active in posts. Other professors on the other had were fantastic and would leave very detailed feedback and be very active on the discussion board. But in terms of information and classes, ACE offered very wide variety of opportunities.

The reason I chose ACE was because of the price and the time to complete the program. It turned out great and I learned a lot. I would definitely do it again if I had to.

Acamp likes this.
  5. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

Mar 23, 2019

Wow - thank you both MrTeach11 and Miss-M. I so appreciate your time with your detailed response. I just had a few followup questions if you wouldn't mind answering:

1) in regards to the 5-question quiz and 20 question final exam at the end of each course, are the 20 questions directly from the quiz questions? And are those quizzes/exams open book? If so, how difficult would they be if you complete all the readings and lectures?

2) How many hours per week on average did all the coursework for the class take take you while you were completing one class per 5-week term?

3) Writing is unfortunately not my strength and with any master's program they most likely will be pretty writing-intensive. Could you share how the writing assignments were? How long was each paper? Would a below-average/average writer do okay in this program?

Thank you in advance for both your help!

6. MrTeach11

MrTeach11 Rookie

Mar 23, 2019

1) The 20 final exam questions are different questions than the 5 question quizzes. The quizzes and final are not overall difficult and always come from the lectures and not the readings. You can download the lecture transcripts and use them on the quizzes and final if you have trouble. Once started, you have 1 hour to finish the quiz and 3 hours to finish the final.

2) Depending on the week and the course I would say I spent between 8-12 hours per week. In a couple classes, a paper and presentation were due in a single week or two discussion posts and responses were required, so that week would require a bit more time.

3) I wouldn't say I am a strong writer by any means. APA is the format that is required through the whole program. I had never written in APA format but the first course that I was enrolled in spent the entire 5 weeks working on APA formatting so that I was prepared going forward. The formatting was the part that I was most worried since I was not familiar with it but it was not all that bad once you get started. Except for the Capstone (which is the very last course you would take) there was never a length requirement for each paper but I usually finished between 3-6 pages per paper. But there were weeks where a 2 page paper was enough. You will find that as you go through the program, your research and writing will improve so don't let that be a deterrent.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Acamp likes this.
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 24, 2019

I was thinking about getting an EdD through ACE in STEM Leadership and so this was very helpful. Thanks!

8. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

Mar 25, 2019

Hello and thank YOU again for all the information you are sharing in regards to ACE.

Since the course formats are all the same, 5-weeks long, watch lectures, quiz, exam, etc (and please correct me if I am wrong on that), could you give me a basic breakdown of each course in regards to the final grade? What percentage of the final grade is the writing assignments, quizzes, tests, and discussion posts?

Thanks again!!

9. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 25, 2019

Papers are 100pts, quizzes are 15, discussions are 50, final is 140. So the majority of the grade is papers and the final. There are also pre and post course self assessments that are 5pts each.

Acamp likes this.
  10. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

Mar 25, 2019

Miss-m this is very helpful thank you! And is every course in your program graded with that point breakdown? And is it hard to not get full credit on the discussion posts as long as you respond to the correct amount of people within the guidelines?

Lastly (sorry about the thousand questions), I’m looking into the masters in educational leadership. Do you know anyone that has completed or is currently in that program? And if so, is it similar to your masters program structure?

Thank you!

11. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 25, 2019

Every class I’ve taken has been essentially that breakdown. I think I had one with an extra assignment, but that was unusual. Points on everything vary from prof to prof. My first prof was majorly picky about APA formatting and took off points for small errors. Others have been much more lax. Then my prof two or three classes ago never gave me full points on ANYTHING, so you just never know. It depends on the professor.

Acamp likes this.
  12. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

Mar 25, 2019

Okay that makes sense. The reason I ask is because I need a B or better for tuition reimbursement and I’m not confident in my writing skills so I hope I can get B’s or better

13. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 25, 2019

I think if you take your professors' feedback (when given) and apply it consistently, have someone edit your papers or read through them carefully before submitting, you'll be ok. The biggest thing I've gotten dinged for on papers is formatting because APA has a TON of rules that are very specific. I peer-reviewed a paper for one class that had no APA formatting at all, didn't have a proper title page, citations were all wrong, etc. and the professor commented to the person that she had been providing feedback on APA formatting for the past three weeks and this person just did not apply any of it. Don't do that, and you should be fine. The range of grades seems to err on the side of generous grading; I think the lowest grade I've gotten so far on a paper has been a 90, and it was because it was a day late. Quizzes are another story – I've definitely bombed a few quizzes in the past year – but since they're only worth 15 points (75 total for a whole class), it's not enough to wreck your grade if you generally do alright on them.

Acamp likes this.
  14. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

Mar 25, 2019

You have no idea how much you have helped - I think I am going to jump in to the masters program and prayerfully my writing skills will be proficient =)

For your program, how many hours a week on average would you spend working on all your coursework? And lastly, would you consider yourself a good writer?

Thanks again!

15. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

Apr 15, 2019

Hey man,
    Since you literally are just graduating the program and everything is still the same, would you be able to email me? I just had a few more questions if you could answer.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019