Amazingly AWESOME week!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsTeacher2Be, Apr 19, 2009.

1. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Apr 19, 2009

You may or may not remember, but a few weeks ago I posted about the difficult time I was having with my repeater classes. Shouldbeasleep gave me a great suggestion about having students work on individual levels like a game. My kids were totally into it, even before I mentioned the possibility of prizes (so I kinda let that go and saved myself some money :lol:). Anyway, progress reports went out this week, and kids who 'hate' school were THRILLED to get them. One was jumping up and down SCREAMING that he got an A in math. Their prebell one day was to tell me how they felt about their progress reports and even the tough kids who 'don't care about school anyway...' (what they said in January) wrote that they were proud, they've 'never made this good a grade before' (talking about a C or D), they 'have a sense of accomplishment', their 'mom and dad was so proud', they were proud of themselves, they 'know now that (they) can do math', etc. This week I have had kids who acted like they hated me just hug and hug and not want to let go. I truly have not made the course any easier, just let them work at their own pace and worked with them one on one. I can't wait for it to be over because it's WAY more work, but I'm so unbelievably proud of these kids! Not all of them are passing, of course, but now the majority of my students are putting forth effort, and it's paying off for them. I still have a few with 20something averages, but I can honestly say that they have had EVERY opportunity to pull it up and have chosen not to.

I just had to share my great news!

3. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Apr 19, 2009

Congratulations MrsTeacher2Be! I'm so glad to hear that you had such a great week. It is an experience just like this that is the reason so many of us want to be teachers.

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2009

I am happy that your students are making progress and feel good about what they are doing. Keep up the good work!!!

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 20, 2009

Thanks for sharing this. Now I need to find your original post:)

Hope the success continues:)

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2009

This is why we teach
    too bad it does not translate into money

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2009

I'm so glad you had a great week. I hope it continues this week!n:D

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2009

That's great that your new plan is working! Congratulations!

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2009

Whooo hooo! But I can see that it would be a lot of work. I wish I could see it in action! I'm excited for you.

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Apr 21, 2009

What do you mean by "work on individual levels like a game?" Would you mind explaining so so many of us won't have to locate the original post? Thanks!

11. FlGirl

FlGirl Rookie

Apr 21, 2009

Could you share with us what it is that you are doing?

12. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Apr 23, 2009

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I'm not 100% sure what you would call what I'm doing, but each of my students in my repeater class has an individualized packet of material that he/she is working on. The idea was suggested as trying to model the course after a game - like different levels (or skill sets) and when students reach a new level they get a small prize of some sort, etc. My students bought into the 'work on your own' aspect of it pretty well so I haven't had to do prizes or really even make it like a game. Each student has their own set of stuff they need to work on. They took a placement test to find out where they needed to start. I don't get up and "teach" any more because it just wasn't working for this group of kids. I walk around the room the entire 95 minutes helping one-on-one or pulling together small groups to help. Occasionally, if multiple students are struggling with something I go up and do a few examples on the board, but mostly it's one-on-one. Each packet of material is based on one state objective and has notes and examples that I wrote that my students must copy, summarize, and be able to explain. There are practice sheets for every skill and a quiz for each skill. The practice work is not graded, but they are (mostly) getting it all done, because I only help with the practice. The quizzes and mastery tests can be retaken if a student is dissatisfied with his or her grade and studies more with me one-on-one, but they have to come back on their own time to retake. To ensure that we do everything we need to do, each module has a closing date after which point I won't accept any more practice but they can still retake tests/quizzes on their own time as needed. It really is A LOT of work, but it has been so worth it.